Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Wooden Spoon

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Scotland were an absolute joke. Made France look like world beaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

England should beat Wales and will have the grand slam in the bag after today. That be my thinking. I couldn't see Wales doing enough to beat England. England are too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Amprodude wrote: »
    Just explains why Scotland cannot win the 6 nations. They are a disgrace. 1999 is a long time since they won the competition and last time they beat France in Paris. They are like Ireland in 1990s not there to perform but to fill up the numbers. I think their women's team would put on a better show. 2 dreadful teams.
    Disgrace bit much. We cant say much considering how long we went without beating France in Paris/win competition etc
    Marengo wrote: »
    That's the longer term challenge for Ireland in the World Cup. To break the quarter final glass ceiling we'll have to deal with resurgent teams with tradition.

Teams who have won WCs like SA, teams who have made 3 finals, like France. Teams who have made semis, 1987 and 2011, Wales.

We have the worst record of the 6 Nations in WCs bar Italy.
    Yeah and that really needs to change... Hopefully it will be this time round.

Scotland were an absolute joke. Made France look like world beaters.

They always mess up in Paris a bit like Irish teams in the past.

Disgrace bit much. We cant say much considering how long we went without beating France in Paris/win competition etc

Yeah and that really needs to change... Hopefully it will be this time round.

Well the only difference now is since 2000 we have beaten them a good few times and few times in Paris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Point of law question.

Belleau kicks the penalty to touch right at the end. Adam Hastings catches the ball. Now it looked to me as though Hastings caught the ball in play and then stepped into touch. That being the case the game should have ended there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

bilston wrote: »
    Point of law question.

Belleau kicks the penalty to touch right at the end. Adam Hastings catches the ball. Now it looked to me as though Hastings caught the ball in play and then stepped into touch. That being the case the game should have ended there?

I thought the same actually. Surprised it went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

bilston wrote: »
    Point of law question.

Answered in laws thread but for me AR call was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Scotland are an ok side. They've higher quality players across the starting 15 than they have at any stage over the last 10-15 years. But they've little to no depth up front and it's killing them.

I also think they play a style that just isn't suited to them. A fast paced running, offloading style looks fantastic, but it rarely works for them.

I thought in the game today Scotland passed the ball about in a manner that some of their players werent expecting it. A lack of professionalism in their game it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Dupont daring Gilchrist to give away the penalty. Gilchrist obliges.

I can't fathom how he's Edinburgh captain and an international player. If he wasn't wearing a scrum cap you'd miss him. Toolis is a much better player.

Bradbury is another benefitting from local lad blindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Bastareaud showed a bit of finesse with that chip over the defence and the young lads looked promising. Bamba was a big improvement over Atonio. He was excellent in all aspects of play.

Why don’t refs let scrums carry on a bit? At 38 minutes the French scrum was clearly going forward but the ref demanded the ball be used.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,951 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Why don’t refs let scrums carry on a bit? At 38 minutes the French scrum was clearly going forward but the ref demanded the ball be used.

i dont know that particular scrum... but sometimes teh ref might deem both sides to have popped up at once, which would be a reset.... regardless of one team moving forward... and the ref would rather the team use the ball if its available to be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A scrum is a means of restarting a game after a break in play. It's not really in the interests and spirit of the game to win the ball at a scrum and then sit with it not playing it. If a referee sees the ball at the back and it's clearly won then you need to play the ball. There is also an issue of safety; you can't expect the front rows to stay bound for any longer than is required to see the ball played. Leave the ball in there forever and somebody in the front row will get hurt sooner or later.

Obviously there is a difference whereby a team can scrummage better than their opposition and able to gain a yard or two but the expectation to play the ball promptly when it is available to play still applies, especially when a scrum begins to fall apart as the risk of injury here is quite high.

A scrum is a means of restarting a game after a break in play. It's not really in the interests and spirit of the game to win the ball at a scrum and then sit with it not playing it. If a referee sees the ball at the back and it's clearly won then you need to play the ball. There is also an issue of safety; you can't expect the front rows to stay bound for any longer than is required to see the ball played. Leave the ball in there forever and somebody in the front row will get hurt sooner or later.

Obviously there is a difference whereby a team can scrummage better than their opposition and able to gain a yard or two but the expectation to play the ball promptly when it is available to play still applies, especially when a scrum begins to fall apart as the risk of injury here is quite high.

The scrum was called about six seconds after the ball went in. I don’t think that’s a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The scrum was called about six seconds after the ball went in. I don’t think that’s a long time.

That's as much as you need to complete a scrum. As the saying goes, Slow Ball Is No Ball.

That sounds like rugby league to me. What’s the point of having world-class scrummagers among your forwards?

Advertisement