Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Traffic light sequencing in the city

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The people on this forum that say ... " we already have an intelligent control center " .... Maybe able to answer these questions for me
    (1) which lights are monitored ?
    (2) what times are they been monitored at ?
    (3) how many people are monitoring them ?
    (4) what expertise has this person or people have ?
    ......I'm driving in galway city every week between 50 to 60 hours
    Personally I would love to meet this person because beleive me
    Give me street intelligence over book intelligence !!!!!

Try GTU_Galway on twitter. They are the team responsible for and operating it.

https://twitter.com/gtu_galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

What exactly do you think the lone person monitoring the caneras/lights is going to be doing?

Maybe flicking switches on a massive dashboard rapidly while scanning a wall of monitors just to get a handful of extra cars through each and every signaled junction in the city

Not likely.

They could adjust the priority of routes depending on where the traffic is building up. If a junction gives each approach 40 seconds but one approach is using that at capacity and another approach is nearly empty at a certain time of day... adjust to 60sec and 20sec and monitor/adjust as traffic clears or backs up.

Yes this can and should be automated with sensors and analytics but a first step is monitoring the city flow manually first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Try GTU_Galway on twitter. They are the team responsible for and operating it.

https://twitter.com/gtu_galway

Their last traffic update tweet was May 2017. I know an expensive control room was built but is it manned and operational?? If so - which junctions are being monitors and between what times?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Joe .... Some poster put up a photo of this GTU control room .
    As I said than ...." All your showing me is around 6 tv screens "
    How many people are monitoring these screens?
    What times are they been manned at ?
    Recently I was told there's a set of traffic lights on the Dublin road that the sequence hasn't been changed in 21 years !!!
    Same councillor told me only half the traffic lights on the Dublin road are connected up to this so called " war room " in city.
    Driving around galway today .
    Cars abandoned on foster street / up by O'Connells and eglinton street .
    No ticket on anyone of them.
    A joke of a city regarding ENFORCEMENT !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Look at the cameras on traffic lights I never ever saw one turn and I look every day and they are all at the same angle it's a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

But storm10 .... There's a " WAR ROOM "
    There's cameras on these junctions
    Blah blah blah
    Another fxxk up galway style .
    Just like Volvo ocean race , just like 2020 city of culture .
    Just like any GAA event in pearse stadium .
    So many people in this city in jobs that they haven't a clue how to do it .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The lights at the Crescent going into Father Griffin road are pretty fcuked up too, what you've got is about a 10 second window with the green light, it just takes one or two cumbersome motorists to prevent the 401 bus turning that corner, its ridiculous and then another ten or fifteen minute wait for the green again.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Another quick light change is coming down Letteragh Rd (Circular Rd?) with the Westside pitch to your left. Less than ten seconds I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Look at the cameras on traffic lights I never ever saw one turn and I look every day and they are all at the same angle it's a joke.

They aren't supposed to turn. Can't be used for prosecution of light jumpers, etc. either for some legal reason. They're just for monitoring the traffic at the lights. Dunno if they do anything with that information though.

Advertisement