Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italy vs Ireland match thread, 24-2-2019.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

TimHorton wrote: »
    FFS Ireland Caps should be deserved not handed out , Complete Joke to bring him on.

Wait what, carty is in good form, he deserved a call up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

I dont think thats in dispute. Its just that getting a cap for a 3 minute cameo seems to devalue the whole notion of international caps.

For me, I would have preferred to see him on much earlier, perhaps around the 60 minute mark or so, to give him a chance to impact the game. 3 minutes is totally inadequate and a bit pointless.

I guess Joe thought it was more important for Johnny to get more minutes under his belt. Either that or he felt the game was in the balance so continuity was important. But we all saw the difference Cooney made when he came on, so I thought it was a missed opportunity personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Good Form with a 3rd Rate Team , Madigan should have been on the bench today , He earns 5 times what Carty does because he is a better player ,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

FFS Ireland Caps should be deserved not handed out , Complete Joke to bring him on.

I agree I think he should have been on long especially as it was evident Sexton was unfit. Hell I would have started him and maybe if Carberry had been fit they could have had him starting and Carberry on the bench. Blame the coaching staff not Carty on why they waited

Don't know if he has much of a choice in the matter, my (uneducated) reading is that the IRFU want centrally contracted players on the pitch as much as possible.

Actually I think in World Cup time and coming up to the 6 nations they get them to cut there time down

• Advertisement

Good Form with a 3rd Rate Team , Madigan should have been on the bench today , He earns 5 times what Carty does because he is a better player ,

Earning more does not mean you are better. Also in relation to a 3rd Rate Team Connaught are doing phenomenally well this year so that comment is unjust

Earning more does not mean you are better. Also in relation to a 3rd Rate Team Connaught are doing phenomenally well this year so that comment is unjust

So you think Carty is a better player than Madigan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

At this stage he probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Ah so salary is the metric to indicate a players ability?
    Why doesn't Dan Carter start for the all blacks anymore?

Bundee aki starts at 12 for Ireland in every game that he is fit and played in every game in Ireland's grand slam but he does play for the same club as carty so perhaps his selection is wrong.

It must be Schmidt's bias for connacht players.

Connacht are in the knockouts of the challenge cup the same as Bristol but that must be luck I guess, the same way as it is luck that they beat sale(4 places ahead of Bristol in the premiership)

I am not a connacht fan but to call them 3rd rate is factually incorrect.

I don't even know if madigan is the best 10 at Bristol anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,272 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There are only 6 International games left before the RWC

The last 2 6 Nations games, and then we play Italy, England and Wales (twice) in August and September.

Schmidt needs to do two mutually exclusive things.
    1. Bring the squad up to speed - give game time to squad players who will be essential back-up during the RWC

2. Develop cohesion and get the first choice players experience and game time together in their best positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

He wasn’t good enough for Connacht a couple of seasons ago according to you. Yeah he’s better than Madigan right now without doubt. Madigan had disaster in France is on the verge of losing his spot at Bristol.

Clegg wrote: »
    At this stage he probably is.

Probaby Not.

What did Horgan and Jennings say about Conor O Shea after the game? Read tweets it was harsh

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

ClanofLams wrote: »
    What did Horgan and Jennings say about Conor O Shea after the game? Read tweets it was harsh
    Basically questioned the notion that he was doing a good job with Italy, given he hasn't won a Six Nations match with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,272 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Just a load of sh1te about how he isn't making progress because Italy still aren't regularly beating the Teams ranked in the top 5 Teams in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Can't say I understand this logic. If he were head of rugby development then maybe but the head coach of a national team should not be judged on the results of teams he doesn't coach. Benetton are going well because they are very well coached, by Kieran Crowley. They are very tough and well organised, Italy are neither.

He has input in the overall game in Italy. Grassroots and up.
    I think the performance today and the previous against Wales were far better than expected.
    It's noticeable that Italy appear fitter also.
    C.O.S would make a good coach for Ireland down the road imo.

awec wrote: »
    Basically questioned the notion that he was doing a good job with Italy, given he hasn't won a Six Nations match with them.

Horgan/Jennings are a pair of *****.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

awec wrote: »

Seems a pretty inescapable point at this stage unfortunately.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Just a load of sh1te about how he isn't making progress because Italy still aren't regularly beating the Teams ranked in the top 5 Teams in the world

Nonsense. Easy for the two boys sitting in Dublin who have never attempted a challenge close to what COS is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Dubinusa wrote: »
    He has input in the overall game in Italy. Grassroots and up.
    I think the performance today and the previous against Wales were far better than expected.
    It's noticeable that Italy appear fitter also.
    C.O.S would make a good coach for Ireland down the road imo.
    He doesnt have a role in the grassroots. He isnt involved in the club game over there or development sides be they age grade or otherwise.
    Not sure he would make a good coach for Ireland yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Akrasia wrote: »

That’s not what they were saying at all. They made no mention of regularly beating anyone. Joe Molloy made the point that it’s an improved Italian team, and they simply countered to say that it isn’t. That they haven’t really improved at all and from that perspective COS hasn’t done a great job. I’m not sure how that’s abything other than an accurate reflection of what his tenure has been like. Most of the good he’ll have done won’t be seen for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Great result by Ireland. We had to dig deep and we did. The road to the championship has not been closed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Pretty ordinary performance I'd say. A number of the big names are simply not playing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Stone Gossard

Great result by Ireland. We had to dig deep and we did. The road to the championship has not been closed.

True....It was closed in the last round

is_that_so wrote: »
    Thought Cronin had a very bad game despite one or two of those galloping runs. Couldn't hit himself with the ball at the lineout.

The terrible timing in the lifting/jumping completely rocked his confidence.
    Especially the one on the Italian 5 metre line. They completely fawked the lift.

Also, I ask again: Has the law changed that there need be no line gap anymore??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Nonsense. Easy for the two boys sitting in Dublin who have never attempted a challenge close to what COS is doing.

They talked out of both sides of their mouths re Joe and Conor

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Some lads did ok! Kilcoyne was fine.

Fine?? He played better than I have seen in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Fine?? He played better than I have seen in a long time

He was good! He has improved and deserved his shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

What did we learn from today. For me the following

Murray's looking very poor and I'm worried he's not going to find it for the world cup

Sexton is almost done. We may get a world cup out of him but that's a big maybe.

Cronin is not good enough for international rugby.

Sean O'Brien unfortunately is finished at this level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

DellyBelly wrote: »
    What did we learn from today. For me the following

Murray's looking very poor and I'm worried he's not going to find it for the world cup

Sexton is almost done. We may get a world cup out of him but that's a big maybe.

Cronin is not good enough for international rugby.

Sean O'Brien unfortunately is finished at this level
    Almost done in what respect?

Advertisement