Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women 10 Round Numbers 2019

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

the guy who came up with the original challenge was the first poster to hit all the targets in a year, he said this afterwards
    So this has caused a lot of controversy with people arguing which is harder, that they're all easy, that they're not equivalent etc. etc. but they were missing the point. It was simply a case of fellows starting running later in life after giving up other sports or wanting to get fit, lose weight or whatever will start off jogging enter a race, just want to complete and then might want to go faster the nest time. So they might set a target. I was that person, ran a 10k as my first race in 42, immediately wanted to do it in 40. A few weeks later entered a 5k did 19:59 on the beach, then entered the marathon race series. The 5m I ran 32:30 or so and I looked on enviously at the lads under 30 thinking they were real athletes, couldn't believe how skinny they were etc. So they were just round numbers really that seemed to be something to aim for. Ran 67:30 for the 10m and thought you'd have to be practically professional to run 60. Did 90:59 for HM, so started thinking about 90 and so on. 3:15 in the marathon and I had the bug (for shorter distances, had started to lose weight and entered the marathon to keep me training rather than giving up after 2 nights like every other attempt to lose weight but got a much greater buzz from the shorter stuff than the longer). Joined a club and got introduced to speed training, Then you enter a club race and run an 800m or 1m, something you might never consider otherwise and that's the ultimate buzz. Nothing like the speed, the tactics, the extremely close competition (ever win, or lose a race on a dip? What a feeling!). First 1m was 5:08 so immediately wanted a sub 5. Had a few attempts the first year and got closer but no cigar. Then the next summer smashed it on the first attempt with 4:55, a few weeks later ran 4:50. So there's a bit of experience needed for the shorter races, lots of training and then improvements come in chunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

RayCun wrote: »
    the guy who came up with the original challenge was the first poster to hit all the targets in a year, he said this afterwards

Worth mentioning the original challenge didn't have a 400m in it. I think only happygoose has completed the full challenge from memory. Krusty got within a couple of tenths.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

RayCun wrote: »
    Wow, going down the rabbit hole on all those threads...

Funny to see people like Krusty and BeepBeep talking about aiming for a couple of the times on the list :pac:

But also reminded me why I prefer the "Best of 201x" threads. The Round Numbers threads always end up in arguments about the times being too easy (alas! the state of running today, in times gone by people would run those times as part of their warm-up) or too hard (elitist bastards and dickwavers, no wonder people are scared to join clubs!)

Did manage 7 in a calendar year (2014) and 9 in a 12 month period (over 2013/14), never even attempted or trained for the 400m, would probably end up doing a Derek Redmond.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Would love to be able to do some of the time here... A sub 20 5k would be a long term goal of mine. Hopefully will be able to contribute to the table a little. The half marathon time is within reach I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I'd definitely like to aim for some of those times but it won't be any time soon!

Hope it's not rude to ask but how old are you Helen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I would also love to aim for some of these, but feel quite far away from it right now. But have good consistency the past 8months so you never know with some more speed training.

Have had my eye on the 5mile target for a few years (of interrupted running) and the pace for the 5miler would just be some secs below 22mins if doing that pace over a 5k. So for myself that 5k time will be a stepping stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

chickey2 wrote: »
    I'd definitely like to aim for some of those times but it won't be any time soon!

Hope it's not rude to ask but how old are you Helen?

Not at all! I’m 43. I started running at about 34 - actually I started about 9 years ago next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Not at all! I’m 43. I started running at about 34 - actually I started about 9 years ago next month!

Same age as me. I've no excuses so!

chickey2 wrote: »
    Same age as me. I've no excuses so!

I have a 50 year old clubmate who ran 18.16 for 5k this year, and is always under 19 at the parkrun - I wouldn't even make a club team for the O40 women in my club at the moment! - and another F50 pal broke 3.30 in DCM last year - so I've no excuses not to get faster either :)

It's very motivating to see older women way running faster than me - it shows there's still time for us all to improve!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well? Any updates?

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well? Any updates?

I've gone off the boil this year! Best times were 6.02 for a mile, 20.16 for a 5k, 12.40 for 2 miles -- all before June.

Since then I've been plagued by side stitches when racing, so I don't think I'm going to run any round numbers this year.

I THINK (though it's unofficial) I probably did run under 6 for a mile in the Road Relays - but the lap is longer than a mile, so no way of knowing for sure. here's to next year! :)

ETA: forgot I ran 33.36 in the Terenure 5 mile, so that's one for the table.

Women, anyone want to try this this year?

Here's last year's. Hope we get a few more women and a few more numbers this year :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107481473

Name|400m<70 secs|800m<3min|1 mile<6 min|3k<12min|5k<20min|5mile<35min|10k<40m|10miles<70min|Half Marathon<100mins|Marathon<200min

HelenAnnel ||||||33:50||||
    ||| |||| |||

That 5-mile time is from the Raheny 5 this year.

Name|400m<70 secs|800m<3min|1 mile<6 min|3k<12min|5k<20min|5mile<35min|10k<40m|10miles<70min|Half Marathon<100mins|Marathon<200min

||| |||| |||
    Hedgehoggyl |||||||||1:35:20|
    ||| |||| |||

Probably the easiest to get - Ratoath Half Marathon (1.35.20) - reckon I'd be a good bit off the others
    (Hopefully I've used the table properly )

Hedgehoggy wrote: »

||| |||| |||
    ||| |||| |||

Probably the easiest to get - Ratoath Half Marathon (1.35.20) - reckon I'd be a good bit off the others
    (Hopefully I've used the table properly )

Well done! That's a great time. I've (not this year, but in the past) done the 1 mile, the 5k and the 5 mile, but my best half is 1.36, so you'd be well able to smash the others! Great running!

HelenAnnel ||||||33:36||||
    ||| |||| |||
    ||| |||| |||

Well done! That's a great time. I've (not this year, but in the past) done the 1 mile, the 5k and the 5 mile, but my best half is 1.36, so you'd be well able to smash the others! Great running!

Thanks a mill - I'm chuffed with the time alright. Using the half time in mcmillan calculator gives me a better 5k and 10k time than my current PBs (20.52/43.58) so hoping to have a bit of a stab at a 5k PB before the end of the year but I'm a long way off a sub-20 still.... maybe next yr!!!!!
    Your times in the 1- 5 mile are so impressive. Great inspiration!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

HelenAnne||||||33:36||||
    Hedgehoggy |||||||||1:35:20|

Well done both. Excellent times! Just tidying up that table. Hopefully a few more candidates out there over coming months (and years).

Advertisement