Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to watch f1 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Got onto sky this afternoon and was told the only way to get the f1 is to take the whole sports package. We already have eir sports. We used to get the f1 by getting the hd. Highlights it is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

I'm not signed to the Sports Channels but I do have F1. Maybe things have changed since my current contract began in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Maybe they’re allowing those who already have it to keep it? We always took it off at the end of a season and got a deal on it to sign back up again in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Sky used to give it free if you took HD. If you gave up HD then you also gave up sky f1. It's now only part of sports package

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

An option for some may be to persuade a relative/friend with a sky sports or legacy HD package to give them a sky ID on their account so they can watch via sky go online.

It is within the T&c to allow a number of people who do not have to live in the same household access, limited access accounts allow use of sky go but not full admin access to the account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

recyclebin wrote: »
    Sky used to give it free if you took HD. If you gave up HD then you also gave up sky f1. It's now only part of sports package
    It still exists via hd package once you don't cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Looking into this now for the girlfriend. We have a basic sky package but it would be 25 a month for 6 months than 40 a month to get sky sports and I've little to no interest in the rest of the package.
    I asked about the earlier linked offer for £10 a month but it is uk only so thats a no go.
    Its a bit pricey for my liking.

I saw mention of IPTV, can anyone advise more on that as an option.

I'm aware there are dodgy methods but if I could I'd rather just pay a reasonable price and not have the hassle of those as I have found them unreliable in the past, though I might have to resort to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The suggestion for the moment is to use Now TV which is a streaming service. The charge from what I can see is €10 for a day pass, and that gives you 24 hours of viewing from when you first start streaming. You'll only be able to get the race in with that. You'd end of paying €200 for the year based on paying for 20 races (British GP is free live).

Sky have really sown up the situation unfortunately and we all expect viewing figures to plummet due to the paywall. This is the first of the 5 years of the contract.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Now TV do have a €19 per month for 3 months offer on sky sports at the moment which would be worth it as with 2 races a month would cost the same as the day passes for race only and would give the practice and qualifying which girlfriend would want. So think might go with that for them moment anyway.

Not sure how long offer is on for and if you buy does it start from then or can you buy now and just activate the week before first race, if anyone knows that be good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You can save yourself a tenner if you have the basic Sky package as the Australian Grand Prix will be shown on Sky One.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Snip ..forum police.
    As per the charter, no discussion on on IPTV / streams for getting round the legal ways of watching these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

I cancelled my sports addon on the basis that I could now get F1 as a standalone channel. Sky just told me that I need to purchase the full sports package to get F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

cruizer101 wrote: »

I'm aware there are dodgy methods

IPTV is one of those dodgy methods, it's illegal.

Inviere wrote: »
    IPTV is one of those dodgy methods, it's illegal.

Netflix is IPTV, its not illegal. IPTV just means TV delivered through your internet connection as opposed to Satellite or Terrestrial.
    For sure there are illegal IPTV services but being IPTV doesn't make it illegal.

Netflix is IPTV, its not illegal.

Yeah, but the broadcast rights are owned exclusively by Sky for F1 in the UK & Ireland...it's not as if the poster is looking to watch Birdbox here.

Edit - Sorry Ficus, just seeing your post now!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Looking into this now for the girlfriend. We have a basic sky package but it would be 25 a month for 6 months than 40 a month to get sky sports and I've little to no interest in the rest of the package.
    I asked about the earlier linked offer for £10 a month but it is uk only so thats a no go.
    Its a bit pricey for my liking.

I'm aware there are dodgy methods but if I could I'd rather just pay a reasonable price and not have the hassle of those as I have found them unreliable in the past, though I might have to resort to them.

That's a pity that.

astrofluff wrote: »
    The suggestion for the moment is to use Now TV which is a streaming service. The charge from what I can see is €10 for a day pass, and that gives you 24 hours of viewing from when you first start streaming. You'll only be able to get the race in with that. You'd end of paying €200 for the year based on paying for 20 races (British GP is free live).

Sky have really sown up the situation unfortunately and we all expect viewing figures to plummet due to the paywall. This is the first of the 5 years of the contract.

So thats us and everyone in the UK screwed unless you want to pay for all of sky sports. What a joke..

I wonder will there be anyone at all watching F1 here in 5 years time if it stays like this. I really hope that the figures fall so low and Sky eventually come to realise its costing them more than its worth and maybe team up with the BBC or Channel 4 some way.
    Now TV do have a €19 per month for 3 months offer on sky sports at the moment which would be worth it as with 2 races a month would cost the same as the day passes for race only and would give the practice and qualifying which girlfriend would want. So think might go with that for them moment anyway.

Not sure how long offer is on for and if you buy does it start from then or can you buy now and just activate the week before first race, if anyone knows that be good to know.

The first race is only a week and a half away.
    flazio wrote: »
    You can save yourself a tenner if you have the basic Sky package as the Australian Grand Prix will be shown on Sky One.

Well at least we can get to see that race live. I think I will just watch the race live and watch the rest 5 to 10 mins behind so can fast forward by any gits that I don't want to hear or see. I wonder how many races Sky will show of Sky One? Id say the British one will be any way.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

AMKC wrote: »
    I really hope that the figures fall so low and Sky eventually come to realise its costing them more than its worth and maybe team up with the BBC or Channel 4 some way.

Its hardly like this is a new strategy for Sky, buying up exclusive rights to live sports as a means of driving subscriptions is a 20 year old business plan at this stage.

AMKC wrote: »
    I think I will just watch the race live and watch the rest 5 to 10 mins behind so can fast forward by any gits that I don't want to hear or see. I wonder how many races Sky will show of Sky One? Id say the British one will be any way.

You can't fast forward Crofty unfortunately without missing all the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

astrofluff wrote: »
    You can't fast forward Crofty unfortunately without missing all the race.

True but as I don't have Sky F1 I will not have to listen to him often.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

For viewers in the UK including NI there is an offer with Now Tv of a 9 month sky sports package including F1 for £195 this gets all the sports - still expensive at £21.66pm

Looks like RTL Germany in SD again this year

• Advertisement

kooga wrote: »

Looks like RTL Germany in SD again this year

I'm wondering if they have an online player service and if it is geo-locked? My German ist not gud to look this up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

So other than Sky, the best option to watch the races live is by subscribing to F1 TV Pro? Assuming you live in one of the selected countries where it's available.

Ficus wrote: »
    No but he's not exactly talking about the sky app or the official f1 online app.

So no more discussion on streams, IPTV etc otherwise you will be taking a permanent holiday from here as per the forum charter.

I did mean was there any genuine ways of streaming something along the lines of F1 TV Pro or I did read Amazon Prime is getting F1 but seems only US. I hadn't realized there is literally no other way than through sky.

Looks like I'm going to have to go with Sky sports anyway as even now tv isn't great as you don't seem to be able to record or watch back so for early morning races isn't ideal.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    So other than Sky, the best option to watch the races live is by subscribing to F1 TV Pro? Assuming you live in one of the selected countries where it's available.

Afaik you need a card that's native to a country that F1TV Pro is available in, so another hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm afraid "exclusive rights " really means "exclusive" in Ireland, regardless of where you are physically or virtually.
    And this article doesn't make things much better if you are going to stick to highlights
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/formula1/47542802

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Lads, the F1 TV service, is it worth my while getting?

I live in Vancouver, so I don't really get up to watch the races so I would be watching the replays etc. I can sort out a VPN if needs be and can set it to the UK - https://f1tv.formula1.com/en/content-schedule

Don't really enjoy trying to find a crap youtube replay the next day, and this seems affordable.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Afaik you need a card that's native to a country that F1TV Pro is available in, so another hurdle.

Such as an N26 card that's based in Germany?

antodeco wrote: »
    Such as an N26 card that's based in Germany?

Honestly not sure, I meant a billing address. Does the N26 work for F1TV Pro via VPN?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Honestly not sure, I meant a billing address. Does the N26 work for F1TV Pro via VPN?

Can't remember who it was, but someone got this to work last year with N26 card and just used a random German address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Zagato wrote: »
    Can't remember who it was, but someone got this to work last year with N26 card and just used a random German address.

I might try this, hope the app supports Chromecast.
    I do this to watch some rugby matches on rugby pass. Start stream on phone via VPN, then switch off VPN, then cast to TV.

Advertisement