Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Congress 2019

1235»

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect


    Also, weren't the attendances very low for the games that were played outside Croke Park? All around 15,000?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog


    Attendances for championship games have fallen back to pre 2002 levels, but are still higher than historical average.

    League attendances are well up, not only in Dublin and Mayo but in other counties as well, and hurling league attendances are healthy.

    You do have a point regarding the fall off in championship after 2011 when Dublin won. I think the mad crowds in 200s - sellouts for Leinster semis in the name of jaysus! = also had to fo with the novelty and comfort and food and drink in Croke Park, and it was before the Blackrock Boys nearly ruined the kip so there was a bit of poke around!


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    Attendances for championship games have fallen back to pre 2002 levels, but are still higher than historical average.

    League attendances are well up, not only in Dublin and Mayo but in other counties as well, and hurling league attendances are healthy.

    You do have a point regarding the fall off in championship after 2011 when Dublin won. I think the mad crowds in 200s - sellouts for Leinster semis in the name of jaysus! = also had to fo with the novelty and comfort and food and drink in Croke Park, and it was before the Blackrock Boys nearly ruined the kip so there was a bit of poke around!

    What you are saying is a bit like saying that because, historically, football was more attacking, the recent, general move away from ultra defensive structures is therefore inconsequential in the here and now, as they are still not as attacking as they were 30 years..

    The reality is the attendances of Dublin and all their opponents, probably bar ourselves, are dropping noticeably. This is down to a growing apathy within the sport, due to the biased nature of the competition and indeed the ethos of those making the rules. In reality, were mayo not getting close to Dublin in an odd big game, our fans would undoubtedly be dropping off too. We got a glimpse into the future last season, when mayo were gone and nobody gave them a game. If things take a similar path this year, I'd imagine crowds to drop again.

    People say the 90s were the best time for Gaelic football. Why? If you watch it back, the level was actually quite poor. It was simply because there were so many different teams involved, and also Dublin and kerry were both in lulls. That is the lesson for congress. Football doesn't need superteams, it needs plenty teams able to beat each other.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog


    So we need Dublin and Kerry to be crap so that some mediocre team might win it!

    Interesting......


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    So we need Dublin and Kerry to be crap so that some mediocre team might win it!

    Interesting......

    That isn't what I stated. I said that the period in history which is widely accepted as the optimum time for Gaelic football for fans across the board, occurred when the elite teams were at a similar level to each other..

    So the ethos of funding one team to comedic extremes over their rivals, is, and frankly it is depressing that this point isn't common sense to everyone, not the best way to develop the game. In fact it is the exact opposite.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect


    Why fund the big counties? Wouldn't it make way more sense to fund the rest? Wouldn't that make it fair?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog


    That isn't what I stated. I said that the period in history which is widely accepted as the optimum time for Gaelic football for fans across the board, occurred when the elite teams were at a similar level to each other..

    So the ethos of funding one team to comedic extremes over their rivals, is, and frankly it is depressing that this point isn't common sense to everyone, not the best way to develop the game. In fact it is the exact opposite.

    Mayo have spent more on the senior football team than Dublin in recent years.

    I don't get your point :confused:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    Mayo have spent more on the senior football team than Dublin in recent years.

    I don't get your point :confused:

    Did Mayo spend huge money on travel expenses? Dublin have spent 35 million on developing underage players since 2005?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog


    Perifect wrote: »
    Did Mayo spend huge money on travel expenses? Dublin have spent 35 million on developing underage players since 2005?

    35 million :D

    Perhaps if Mayo had spent more on underage they might not be dragging out chaps who no longer look remotely interested?

    Dublin have competitive teams in all GAA sports from under 14s up. Mayo don't. Too much in the one pot perhaps?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    35 million :D

    Perhaps if Mayo had spent more on underage they might not be dragging out chaps who no longer look remotely interested?

    Dublin have competitive teams in all GAA sports from under 14s up. Mayo don't. Too much in the one pot perhaps?

    Yes, 35 million.

    That's Mayo's issue. You claimed Mayo spent more than Dublin on their senior team in recent years. You ignored the 35 million Dublin have spent on underage.


  • Advertisement
Advertisement