Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yeats College Waterford City ***

• 06-02-2019 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi I’m thinking of sending my son to Yeats for 5th and 6th year. He is not happy in school and I think it would suit better. I would love ANY information at all from people who have been, things I can’t read on their webpage? Thank you

Is Yeats College Waterford good? 5 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    80%
    GardnerToddyDoodydebokDeisegodeo 4 votes
    Not sure
    20%
    friendlyfun 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

We have one child in Yeats since last September and our other child will start this upcoming September.

Extremely happy with it so far. Given the experience of others we know, I don't see that changing.

Bear in mind it is hard work for the children with evening study etc. It's not a panacea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Have lots of money. The fees are quite steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Not sure
    Why waste thousands of euro. You'll only insulate your kids from their peers. When they get to third level they won't know how to cope and they'll go off on a mad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Why waste thousands of euro. You'll only insulate your kids from their peers. When they get to third level they won't know how to cope and they'll go off on a mad one.

or they could just be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It depends on the child, and where they're coming from.

I did my Leaving Cert there, and it worked for me to be in an environment where more people were focused on getting the most out of themselves. You also didn't have as many free classes with teachers taking sick days, and I wasn't being pulled out of classes for sport.

This meant that the time that I spent in the school was maximised, and I had to do very little when I went home. Looking back at it now, I hate taking office work home with me now, it's incredible how much we expect students to take home with them after school.

The principal when I was there was awful in my opinion, a terrible motivator and discipline wasn't always where it should have been. He's since moved on to a similar outfit in Dublin, and the guy that's in charge now is supposed to be excellent.

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote:
    This meant that the time that I spent in the school was maximised, and I had to do very little when I went home. Looking back at it now, I hate taking office work home with me now, it's incredible how much we expect students to take home with them after school.

Homework should be banned, it's wrong on so many levels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

hardybuck wrote: »
    It depends on the child, and where they're coming from.

I did my Leaving Cert there, and it worked for me to be in an environment where more people were focused on getting the most out of themselves. You also didn't have as many free classes with teachers taking sick days, and I wasn't being pulled out of classes for sport.

The principal when I was there was awful in my opinion, a terrible motivator and discipline wasn't always where it should have been. He's since moved on to a similar outfit in Dublin, and the guy that's in charge now is supposed to be excellent.

The current principal is and was a major factor in sending our kids there. Our eldest is thriving and our youngest is looking forward to starting in September.

In terms of other people we know (as for us) another major factor was to avoid compulsory TY. A couple of them have told us that had they known how poor TY would be they would have sent their kids. It should be illegal to have mandatory TY in Schools IMHO.

As I said earlier it may or may not suit any given child. If the child is keen to learn I think it will suit. If a child has been "cruising" then I'd say there will be issues.

As I said earlier it may or may not suit any given child. If the child is keen to learn I think it will suit. If a child has been "cruising" then I'd say there will be issues.

It's very interesting how we describe some kids behaviour, school isn't exactly what it's cracked up to be, it's actually doing a lot of damage to some, maybe the 'cruising' kids are simply bored, our educational system actually only rewards a particular type of thinking and thinkers, but punishes others.

Advertisement