Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taxi drive complaint - NTA

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I'm not sure what your point is? You'd ask people where they're going and when they told you if you think they're drunk you'd refuse them but the destination is not a factor you'd just ask it see if you think they're drunk?

Works fine for door staff, barmen, Gards, retail staff.....
    You run a very big risk of being fined based on that. I'd consider using a safer way to determine if someone's drunk. Unless you're just pretending the issue is the drunkeness to get away with asking where they're going in which case it's a criminal offence.

I don't drive anymore so it's no personal worry of mine. A family member of mine and a few friends still work in the trade, and truth be told, they still find it works for them; if you don't know where you live or can't get into the cab or remember your name then yeah, you may be intoxicated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

One could say taxi drivers make up their own rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Works fine for door staff, barmen, Gards, retail staff.....

I don't drive anymore so it's no personal worry of mine. A family member of mine and a few friends still work in the trade, and truth be told, they still find it works for them; if you don't know where you live or can't get into the cab or remember your name then yeah, you may be intoxicated :)

Maybe it's just me, but in my job I follow try to follow the rules and avoid breaking the law.

The door man comparison is interesting, I wonder how it would work if a door man asked people if they were Irish before they went in and when he refuses them says he was just asking it to see if they were drunk. Would he be annoyed when he's in trouble with he boss for them getting fined under the Equality Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Maybe it's just me, but in my job I follow try to follow the rules and avoid breaking the law.

Good for you. Aren't you the best?
    The door man comparison is interesting, I wonder how it would work if a door man asked people if they were Irish before they went in and when he refuses them says he was just asking it to see if they were drunk. Would he be annoyed when he's in trouble with he boss for them getting fined under the Equality Act.

Maybe you should ask sidetracking and irrelevant point in a Doorman/PSA Complaint thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

poisonated wrote: »
    One could say taxi drivers make up their own rules.

Rules made up by people in cushy office jobs who've never driven a taxi.
    I've often refused people who've flagged me down if I didn't want to go their way and would do it again. If it was near knocking off time I'd pull up and ask where they were going. If it didn't suit I'd politely explain that I had a booking shortly. Most people are sound enough and I've never had a negative response.

• Advertisement

Rules made up by people in cushy office jobs who've never driven a taxi.
    I've often refused people who've flagged me down if I didn't want to go their way and would do it again. If it was near knocking off time I'd pull up and ask where they were going. If it didn't suit I'd politely explain that I had a booking shortly. Most people are sound enough and I've never had a negative response.

Presumably you'd get rid of the laws against Uber-style ridesharing that were made up by people in cushy office jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Presumably you'd get rid of the laws against Uber-style ridesharing that were made up by people in cushy office jobs?

Uber is more than welcome to operate in Ireland as long as they comply with local legislation. Afaik they are or were operating in Dublin.
    Drivers always had to be Garda vetted and cars had to be passed out (be they taxi or hackney) in order to carry pax for hire and reward. Can't see any reason to change that.
    Anyway that's a whole different thread and has been done to death on boards.

Uber is more than welcome to operate in Ireland as long as they comply with local legislation. Afaik they are or were operating in Dublin.
    Drivers always had to be Garda vetted and cars had to be passed out (be they taxi or hackney) in order to carry pax for hire and reward. Can't see any reason to change that.
    Anyway that's a whole different thread and has been done to death on boards.

As long as they follow the rules. Indeed. Good man yourself. Rules only apply to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

As long as they follow the rules. Indeed. Good man yourself. Rules only apply to other people.

Agreed.

• Advertisement

Good for you. Aren't you the best?

Maybe you should ask sidetracking and irrelevant point in a Doorman/PSA Complaint thread.

This is the sort of crap you have to deal with in a lot of taxis I’ve been in. This know it all condescending sort of stuff. But the majority are grand.

Advertisement