Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Sub 5 minute mile

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭ Dubh Geannain

02 - 08 May - 31 miles

Got the mileage back up again last week. Having had an easy-ish week for the 1,500 race I ended up doing 3 sort of sessions. The first one being because I was kind of pressed for time so ran a bit quicker.

Monday - 8 km steady. Pressed for time but wanted to get at least 12 km in after taking a day off after the race. 2 k warm-up. Then 7 kms at a very satisfyingly consistent pace of 3:56-3:58. Then the watch went a little haywire on the 8km so I lost my nice consistency right on the last with a 4:00. 2 km warm down.

Wednesday - 12 km easy

Thursday - 3x(600R, 30s rest, 200Fast, 7 minute jog). Target revised from 1:48 to 1:47 for the 600s after the recent race and then the 200s were to be as fast as I could muster but 32s at a minimum. The week of dodgy GPS continued so I'd no reliable pace reading for any of the reps. I was working but not reaching on the latter part of the 600s so I don't place too much belief in the actual splits for them 1:41, 1:43, 1:40. The first two 200s were great, 30 and 30, before I stopped my watch too soon on the last. So gave myself another 30s rest before doing an extra 100m to make up for it. So after the last 600R I did 130m in 21 seconds and 100m in 15 seconds. I was pretty tired that night and feeling it in legs the following morning, so maybe I was running close to the times the watch was suggesting for the 600s but don't assume so.

Friday - 6.5 km easy

Sunday - Intervals 12x(60onm 45off) - Classic Sunday night run. Out the door at 10 pm so a few opportunities to choose the road over the path which is always preferred. Looking to cover at least 300m during the 60 seconds (averaged around 310m) made it easier to work out I covered between 3650 and 3750 at interval pace which was definitely enough for the week for me.

A lot of the club runners are running the Bob Heffernan next week. I should have registered but missed the window as its a communion week here so not knowing what I might be at that day. I can register on the day though I think. So if I get the chance to run it I will. It's only a short hop away and I really want to. If I do I can safely say, barring injury, it will be a big improvement on my official PB over 5k. I won't post what it currently is for the craic but it is mentioned in the log somewhere.

• Advertisement

Yea being for real alright. Mainly because my main lasting thoughts post race was that I'd absolutely nothing else to give and "jaysus I'll never run like that again". But also the feeling that I was redlining earlier than anyone else around me seemed to be just after halfway through, even though I was passing them. That was the impression I got.

But I like your way of looking at it though. Cheers. Definitely going to take that on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭ Murph_D

You certainly deserved the ice cream, well done sir! Of course you deserve the time - look at how far you've come in a few short years. It doesn't happen by accident. Terrific stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭ Swashbuckler

Balls the size of watermelons is all I'll say. Not many people can push themselves that far to the edge. Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭ Laineyfrecks

Well done on the PB, absolutely brilliant time & well done for pushing yourself so much! I ran it too many, many minutes behind you🤣🤣 but I thought it was a great race & will be back to do it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ Lambay island

Well done, That is some time and a ridiculous last 1km - no wonder the photos had ya looking fooked. Doesn't sound like you left anything out there- Congrats

• Advertisement

Doesn't bode well for my brain size though 😂

It's a lot more popular nationally than I realised. Looking forward to reading some other folks race experience. I saw Jebus popped up from Cork too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭ Laineyfrecks

It's gas we are all on here chatting etc but I honestly wouldn't have a clue who's who in real life🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭ ReeReeG

What a last km! Savage stuff. I agree with the others, you are not giving yourself enough credit. Feeling like you're about to pass out sounds like racing a 5k the right way - plus some people are better at hiding the pain than others so you don't know who is redlining sometimes! You've a serious capacity for pain.. Congrats! Look forward to hearing about your sub 16 by JB later in the year 😋🤣

Sub 16? 🤔

Nope

🤢

The last km looked to be net -7m. I'd say that helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭ Swashbuckler

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭ AuldManKing

What a fantastic performance - that last KM is something to behold - top marks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭ IvoryTower

You are flying, great to see

16 - 22 May - 23 miles

With running the 5k race on the Tuesday I'd grand plans to hold steady at 30 MPW. Didn't happen though.

Tuesday - Bob & Mary 5 km with warm-up and very short cool down - 9.7 km total

Wednesday - Really expected to not be fit to put one leg in front of the other but wasn't feeling too bad. An easy 6.3 km in 32 minutes

Thursday - Easy 8 km in 36 minutes. Weekend was going to be taken up with communion stuff so couldn't miss a weekday. Out for a lunchtime run while in the office

Friday - 4x(2km T w/ 2 min rest) - [3:38,3:39; 3:38,3:44; 3:44,3:40; 3:41,3:38]. Little leggy on the last rep but finished up only to wake up with a head cold on Saturday which is still lingering.

Saturday/Sunday - off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭ IvoryTower

That dog is in serious shape

Carbon shoes are glorious, I wear them almost all the time now!

06 -12 June - 30 Miles

Bit of unstructured running last week. Planned to run the Braveheart 5k trail race on the Friday and kind of prioritised hitting my mileage over getting a couple of sessions into the week.

• Tuesday - 11.5 km in 53 minutes. Enjoyed the run and supplemented my start to the week with a short blast of weights (a rare Tuesday in the office). As mentioned, trying to strengthen myself up a little more over the next few weeks to improve my speed a little if I can. No plan as such but I'll include some weighted squats which I did for the first time in a few years.
    • Wednesday - Rest. Unsurprisingly my legs were dead the day after so with an eye no the race Friday I just took the day off.
    • Thursday -9 km in 45 minutes. A bit longer than a normal shakeout but again the week's focus was the one race and trying to hit my mileage target.
    • Friday - Braveheart 5km Trail Race. 4th place in 17:31. A solid run enough run on a tricky evening. I'll throw up a quick report shortly.
    • Saturday - 5 km easy on grass.
    • Sunday - 1 hour run w/ 6x 200m to finish. Legs were fairly tired but I willed myself to do the 200s at the end. Eased myself in starting at around mile pace and worked my way up to a little quicker than 800 pace before running faster again on the last one. 13.4 km total.

Advertisement