Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Sub 5 minute mile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ quick feet

Haven't seen them posted,nothing on Facebook or A.I page either.. I checked the board where they'd usually show results and it was blank..I assume it was a cover measure to stop people congregating..

Similar to yourself I was in the slowest of the mens 800m heat...took up the running after the first lap and went unchallenged to the end..Happy as I was 2 seconds off a p.b and with stronger competition I'd like to think I'd find an extra second or three..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭ Dubh Geannain

Great stuff. So you're in or near PB shape. Hopefully you nail it next time.

It's official, great win !!

Thanks. Never saw it on the website. So that painful closing 800m was 2:36. Lots of time bled there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭ ThebitterLemon

Well done DG, enjoyed that report 👍

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭ ThebitterLemon

Great effort especially given you weren’t feeling 100%, it’ll stand to you 👍👏

TbL

Post edited by ThebitterLemon on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭ Murph_D

I wonder what would have happened if you weren't looking at the watch during that mile? Just from the way you've written it, it looks like the watch made your mind up for you, rather than any particularly unusual discomfort?

Either way, that TT was always going to be tough with the prep not being ideal and the session earlier in the week being perhaps a bit more arduous than neccesary, as you suspected yourself.

TT's are very hard to do without lots of mental preparation, I think. If it was a race you'd have gritted it out and maybe salvaged something. Better luck next time!

I think I might have slowed even more if I wasn't looking at the watch tbh. The watch helped me make my mind up alright but I think the way I've written it above it kind of hints that my mind was maybe made up before I even laced up the runners today unfortunately. My first goal was to have a go and see, so I did that. I likened it to a race where you can't pick your day, just go and do it.

Although I said I said I'd have been happy with 61 or 62 minutes at the start it seems sub 60 was my only goal. And also when it came down to the brass tax it's not like I've been training for a similar long distance event all year so I didn't have the do or die mentality that I had to do myself justice for all the work I put in. I was just thinking, I don't want to be sick for Christmas 😀 . I know I can push myself and hurt that bit more and have recently in the mile race because I have trained with more of a middle distance focus. In case like that it's not just tired legs I've to contend with afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭ MY BAD

Very good effort to be fair on that time trial. It can be hard going on a shorter distance TT never mind 10 miles.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭ ReeReeG

Jeez lad, that's some run!!! Well done, imagine how you'll do with more racing and xc experience?! Great report too, nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭ Laineyfrecks

Totally agree, imagine what you'd be like with more experience! Great race & report, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭ Swashbuckler

I'm not a fan of XC myself but i always enjoy reading the exploits of those who do enjoy it. That stands out there with a few of Duaningtons XC race reports. Super super running. I wouldnt be so quick to be that respectful next time! Take no prisoners. You can be polite at the finish line. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭ Wubble Wubble

A great XC report, to match the racing debut ! Leinster Masters on Saturday ?

Congrats, thats some debut. Great racing.

Thanks everyone.

@Wubble Wubble I won't be racing next weekend. While I don't have an actual plan yet I do want to get some quicker stuff in over the few weeks and am considering a mid distance race. I've had bad luck announcing I'm doing any particular race on a few occasions in the last year so I'll simply see how the next couple of weeks go first.

Post edited by Dubh Geannain on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭ healy1835

Some running. 🐎

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ Lambay island

Yeh that's some debut performance on the mud. Tuning up nicely. Fair play!

• Advertisement

Gread stuff there, many congrats. Maybe the 12mm spikes were slowing you a bit on the hard stuff? Maybe your rivals had 9mm. No harm done though obviously!

That's quite an announcement in terms of your club career. They won't take the photo without you next year!

Some nice 300s there.. what was the recovery on them? I hope to break 5 myself this year so I'm enjoying reading back over your log.

Ah. Great stuff. Best of luck with it. Are you logging about it anywhere?

The 300s were with a 300m jog recovery, which took me 2-2:10 minutes each time.

Quote "I've had bad luck announcing I'm doing any particular race on a few occasions in the last year so I'll simply see how the next couple of weeks go first."

The curse seemed to be real after announcing my plan of running the National Masters 800 Indoor. I was due to update last week but ours second eldest had just tested positive for COVID on the Sunday so I didn't dare post an update. Himself and the older brother were pulled from school last week as a result. On the Monday my OH (who'd been sick a couple of days) finally tested positive too. On Wednesday the baby was then confirmed as well leaving two of us standing. I was resolved to getting it myself but was allowed move around once I kept testing negative so treated last week as a taper just in case. Happy to say the curse has been broken and I did in fact make the race, so here's the backfill.

January 17-23

Monday - 5 km recovery

Tuesday - 6.3 km Easy

Wednesday - Reps (2x400, 1x600), Fast Reps(1x400, 2x300). Jogging the same distance for a recovery after each. On last weeks session I did the fast reps first and too fast, which smoked me from finishing out my plan so went back to the more normal regular paced reps first followed by the Fast reps. It's much harder to run the fast reps too fast when there's a bit of work already done. These were done in the Business Park. Parts of it are due a bit of resurfacing at this stage but it's still the best bit of flat straight road that can be got nearby. 400s in 70, 71 were on pace. 600 in 1:49 just a second off target, a good start. The fast 400 was in 65, again a second off target, but good enough. The 300s then 37, 38 so a nice finish. Been a while since I did a full session along those lines and so was happy with the paces.

Thursday - 9.2 km Easy

Saturday - Intervals 5x(1km w/ 2 min jog). I was thinking of doing 4x1km but after the first couple I decided on 5. The reason being, I'd an idea of my target pace being 3:20ish. The first couple came in 3:25, 3:25. I wasn't forcing the pace but felt I didn't quite have the speed tonight. Encouragingly though I was recovering well in between. So I was happy to add an extra one due to feeling pretty good. Next 3 were 3:23, 3:24 and 3:19. Obviously pushing it a little on the last.

44km for the week

January 24-30

Monday - 5.6 km Easy(Hard). The first day of the kids being home again. We went to Summerhill woods with their bikes for a little run for me and a cycle for them. Planned to just follow the track which is only 2.8 km looped a few times. The kids didn't want to do another lap so we went exploring a little off track. Found some nice terrain for biking but was had to stop regularly to carry the two bikes for them for certain parts. I turned off the watch eventually as I walking more than running at that stage.

Tuesday - 11 km. Just under 1 hours running

Wednesday - 2x400FR, 2x400R, 1x100Fast. Over to Navan track with one of the kids in the middle of the day to let him run around a bit too. Wanted to do another bit of speedwork but allowed myself quite generous recoveries here. Ran with him for a while and did some 80m reps at his pace before he took off to try out his long jumping skills. The FastRep 400s were great. Both on pace 64, 64 without winding myself too much. 3 minutes recovery between the two. The 400 Reps were grand then too again with an arbitrary recovery period waiting until I was good to go - 72, 70. One 100m on the fly just to finish up then. 13.3 secs maybe.

Thursday - 5 km recovery. Met one of my new clubmates who was walking which lengthened the time I was out considerably.

Friday - 10 km with 8x(60on, 45off) in the middle. Hit the intervals at faster paces than last weeks Interval session aided by the local terrain on a few of them. Wanted to make sure I didn't kill myself so finished with 8 instead of 10.

Sunday morning - COVID test: Negative meaning I could race. Incidentally Sunday evening our eldest finally tested +ve just before he was due back at school. So far I'm the only one that's dodged it in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Comic Book Guy

Ah bloody hell I'm lucky i didn't have a cuppa in my hand reading that final line!! Great report and congrats on the race, a lot more to come too.

Was there many spectators in attendance or were ya even aware of crowd support going through that final lap?

• Advertisement

Brilliant comment from your mate. I’d glanced at he pic before I read your report and the phrase ‘Chorlton Runner’ came to mind, but the pension heist attempt is far more topical!

Unlucky really. Looks like there was nothing in it. You might have come away with silver if you’d been first to the table! Anyway you’ll have plenty more opportunities in the future and a bronze on your masters debut is a terrific result.

Advertisement