Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar Panels - Grant unavailable

Options
  • 25-01-2019 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just looking for any feedback/ experiences around grants/ schemes eligibility around solar panels installation.

We want to install solar panels at our place. After calling SEAI, it seems that we are not eligible to receive the appropriate grant (Solar + Battery).

The criteria to be eligible for the grant is the house being built and occupied before 2011. The house was built in 2007 and because the builder went bankrupt it was unoccupied for a few years until we bought it in 2013. We moved in at the end of 2014 and in between the ESB line was activated.

We received 2 estimations and both of them are around 11,000 Euro. As of today we are not able to go ahead as the grant makes the offer much appealing but we can’t afford to spend that amount of money.

Is there any other schemes available?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,766 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Alzone wrote: »
    Is there any other schemes available?

Yep.

1. DIY - easier than you think
    2. If 1. is a bit too much, you could employ a decent roofer to put panels on your roof, any electrician can hook them up to inverter and inverter to the grid and you just make sure you buy the parts at good prices.

Even the second option should be thousands cheaper than what you were quoted. I'd go as far as to say it would be even a good bit cheaper than your 11k system minus the 3.8k subsidy

I'm having two roofers put panels on my roof tomorrow morning myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Is there any recommendations on where to purchase the parts from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It would be useful if someone who has done DIY or non grant options would put up what they installed with prices and suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

unkel wrote: »
    Yep.

1. DIY - easier than you think
    2. If 1. is a bit too much, you could employ a decent roofer to put panels on your roof, any electrician can hook them up to inverter and inverter to the grid and you just make sure you buy the parts at good prices.

Even the second option should be thousands cheaper than what you were quoted. I'd go as far as to say it would be even a good bit cheaper than your 11k system minus the 3.8k subsidy

I'm having two roofers put panels on my roof tomorrow morning myself...

Would be awesome if you fancied putting together a bit of a blog post on how this all goes for you? How you chose panels, where you got them, how you discussed it with roofers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ruairihev

I've done DIY. Send me a PM if you want some info as don't think it's allowed to post links on the public forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I did DIY my PV system.
    From first screw to last cable.
    I didn't had any exposure to area, no one to ask about it.

First advice here on boards and not via PM: get deep understanding that you know what you are getting involved in to.
    Calling two roofers to do the panels while you enjoy the view is not definitively DIY on to my language here...
    Do your home work for few days and get a clear structure and big picture.
    Its not only the technology that will test your limits but rather the management of resources.
    Well worth it...lots of fun and big big rewards.

You will need first agreement and acceptance from your wife, as house will be in bits.

Get few options from local and abroad suppliers and question every option and wattage and brand type. Few guys were trying to shift 250 W panels over to me...when questioned why they are not recommending 300W or 330W for same size, they said it requires them more work and not in stock with supplier and blah blah...fcuk that, give me 8 x 330W than 8 x 250w !

Make sure you have electrician handy to get the system cabled correctly and on time.
    Ask him before hand, before any work starts so you know all about cabling.

Roofers, not sure, i had to taught my friend and we had fun going up and down the ladder few times. Second project, i used a ground based mount and it required a structural engineer to design the concrete foundation. So make contact and assure he knows what's all about it.

Apart of that, enjoy it, have fun, lots of coffee cup and beers, cold beers !

Advertisement