Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gloucester vs Munster, Fri 11th Jan 7:45pm; BT Sports

• 10-01-2019 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Gloucester:

15. Tom Hudson; 14. Charlie Sharples, 13. Billy Twelvetrees, 12. Mark Atkinson, 11. Ollie Thorley; 10. Danny Cipriani, 9. Callum Braley;
    1. Josh Hohneck, 2. Henry Walker, 3. Fraser Balmain; 4. Ed Slater, 5. Gerbrandt Grobler; 6. Franco Mostert, 7. Lewis Ludlow, 8. Ben Morgan (captain)

Replacements: 16. Franco Marais, 17. Alex Seville, 18. Ciaran Knight, 19. Freddie Clarke, 20. Gareth Evans, 21. Ben Vellacott, 22. Owen Williams, 23. Henry Trinder

Munster:
    Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray;
    Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), Tommy O’Donnell, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Jeremy Loughman, John Ryan, Billy Holland, Arno Botha, Alby Mathewson, Tyler Bleyendaal, Dan Goggin.

Munster 12
    Castres 9
    Exeter 8
    Gloucester 8

Gloucester welcome Munster in what is a huge game for both sides. The home team are looking to remain in contention for Round 6 while Munster will attempt to put destiny in their own hands in Thomond Park.

The big team news for Gloucester seems the return of Danny Cipriani at 10, who will want to write the wrongs of his red card in the October fixture. Munster welcome back Chris Farrell at outside centre, while the selection of Stephen Archer at tighthead prop will raise eyebrows. Tyler Bleyendaal is the backup to Joey Carbery as JJ Hanrahan is out through injury.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

The big team news for Gloucester seems the return of Danny Cipriani at 10, who will want to write the wrongs of his red card in the October fixture. Munster welcome back Chris Farrell at outside centre, while the selection of Stephen Archer at tighthead prop will raise eyebrows. Tyler Bleyendaal is the backup to Joey Carbery as JJ Hanrahan is out through injury.

Will it? Archer and Ryan have chopped and changed as first-choice TH over the last couple of seasons.

Exciting looking side. Farrell is a huge boost. It would have been nice to see Wycherly get the nod ahead of Botha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Gerbrandt Grobler rabblerabblerabble

Nice bit of fake news mind games with Farrell too, the cute hoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Will it? Archer and Ryan have chopped and changed as first-choice TH over the last couple of seasons.

Exciting looking side. Farrell is a huge boost. It would have been nice to see Wycherly get the nod ahead of Botha.

I thought Ryan had secured his spot at tighthead, maybe I'm wrong?
    Wycherley would be competing with Holland I'd say, not Botha.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Cipriani back but Willi Heinz is out. One step forward, one step back.

That is very close to a full strength Munster side. With the momentum of the past couple of weeks, they should be looking to win this with breathing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Very excited. Strong team named and delighted that Farrell's injury (and other knocks) wasn't as serious as initially feared. Now hopefully he doesn't pick up anything new over there!

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Having Farrell there makes a massive difference, that's great news. Marshall leapfrogging KOB (who definitely has moved up a level this season, darts are spot on) coming in cold is a little bit of a gamble.

Not too bothered about whether it's Archer or Ryan who starts - Archer is arguably the most improved player in Irish rugby considering he was getting folded like a deckchair a few years ago, proof that props are like a fine wine!

Goggin has moved ahead of Sammy Arnold too by the looks of things - Sammy is still very young and I think has the higher ceiling but he needs to add a bit more subtlety to his game other than running/tackling as hard as possible.

TOD was immense the last day, he was everywhere - 22 tackles - normally that sort of stat gets praise in the meeja for the likes of JvdF if they do it in a game like the interpros. That backrow has a nice balance to it

If we keep the form and discipline we've shown against Leinster/Connacht I think we'll take Gloucester

This'll be a cracker, can't wait!

EDIT to add: This is arguably the first time this season we've been able to put out our strongest team? Obviously there'd be changes on the bench but apart from maybe Cloete who you could argue the toss over with TOD, who else would be in?

Delighted to see Farrell back this close to the Six Nations, will be terrific if we have a full hand to choose from at centre from the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Delighted to see Farrell back this close to the Six Nations, will be terrific if we have a full hand to choose from at centre from the outset.

Well, he needs to survive the next two games at the very least so let's keep the fingers crossed!

🤪

leakyboots wrote: »
    EDIT to add: This is arguably the first time this season we've been able to put out our strongest team? Obviously there'd be changes on the bench but apart from maybe Cloete who you could argue the toss over with TOD, who else would be in?

Cronin, Cloete and perhaps JJ over Bleyendaal would make the 23.

I assume Mike Haley is the wing cover should Earls or Conway go off. Carbery might be the backup fullback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Having Farrell there makes a massive difference, that's great news. Marshall leapfrogging KOB (who definitely has moved up a level this season, darts are spot on) coming in cold is a little bit of a gamble.

Not too bothered about whether it's Archer or Ryan who starts - Archer is arguably the most improved player in Irish rugby considering he was getting folded like a deckchair a few years ago, proof that props are like a fine wine!

Goggin has moved ahead of Sammy Arnold too by the looks of things - Sammy is still very young and I think has the higher ceiling but he needs to add a bit more subtlety to his game other than running/tackling as hard as possible.

TOD was immense the last day, he was everywhere - 22 tackles - normally that sort of stat gets praise in the meeja for the likes of JvdF if they do it in a game like the interpros. That backrow has a nice balance to it

If we keep the form and discipline we've shown against Leinster/Connacht I think we'll take Gloucester

Good Point re: TOD 22 tackles & backrow balance
    Were his tackles dominant though? In the few i saw i thought it was the usual TOD. Great workrate but just not dominant enough in the tackle or with the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm really looking forward to this one.

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Good Point re: TOD 22 tackles & backrow balance
    Were his tackles dominant though? In the few i saw i thought it was the usual TOD. Great workrate but just not dominant enough in the tackle or with the ball.

I'd have to watch it back and focus on him to be honest, maybe you're right - I just remember thinking during the game that he was everywhere during the whole game and was helping to stem the tide every time Connacht got a head up and then seeing that stat during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I'd have to watch it back and focus on him to be honest, maybe you're right - I just remember thinking during the game that he was everywhere during the whole game and was helping to stem the tide every time Connacht got a head up and then seeing that stat during the week.

He was in the middle of everything alright. Will never let the side down.
    Cloete has that bit more power in the close exchanges. But TOD might cover more ground than him?
    Beirne, POM & Stander will look after the turnovers anyway. Nice balance anyway. Hopefully Botha holds onto the ball this wk!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Agree with the post in general.
    The bolded part about our strongest selection is what struck me also.
    It's all coming together very nicely for this crucial match.

This is my opinion of where the squad is at the moment, and it looks like we have almost a full selection within our 23 now (really only missing James Cronin):
    (ranked in merit order from left to right, "/" means rotating and more or less equal level, "," means a drop down to next player)
    1. Kilcoyne/Cronin, Loughman, O'Connor
    2. Scannell/Marshall, O'Byrne, Sherry
    3. Archer/Ryan, Parker/Scott
    4. Kleyn, 5. Beirne, Holland/Wycherley, O'Shea, O'Connor
    6. O'Mahony, O'Donoghue, O'Callaghan
    7. O'Donnell/Cloete, Oliver
    8. Stander, Botha, Coombes
    9. Murray, Mathewson, Cronin/Williams/Hart, Stafford
    10. Carbery, Hanrahan/Bleyendaal, Johnston/Keatley
    11. Earls, Wootton, O'Mahony
    12. Scannell, 13. Farrell, Goggin/Arnold/Taute, Daly
    14. Conway, Sweetnam, Nash
    15. Haley, Fitzgerald (3 month loan to Connacht), Coombes

Anyone know is this being broadcast on radio at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Anyone know is this being broadcast on radio at all?

2fm have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Just read a match preview that hinted that Ryan is being benched because of his HIA last week.

Earls to dot down in the corner early and be followed up by a lineout maul to give Munster a nice headstart inside 25 minutes.

Gloucester will gradually lose interest from there, few three pointers and a late try.

Munster bonus point.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Just read a match preview that hinted that Ryan is being benched because of his HIA last week.

He's either fit to play or he isn't. Archer could pull up in the warmup and Ryan would then have to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Gloucester aren't a very good side at all, apart from Sale they're probably the worst English team in the competition.
    Man for man it's Munster all the way, even when they can get their best 15 on the field. Ackermann is good but he can't work miracles. Definite bonus point victory for me, by up to 20 points even.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Gloucester aren't a very good side at all, apart from Sale they're probably the worst English team in the competition.
    Man for man it's Munster all the way, even when they can get their best 15 on the field. Ackermann is good but he can't work miracles. Definite bonus point victory for me, by up to 20 points even.

Sale are in the Challenge Cup. Playing Connacht this weekend.

Newcastle (who are bottom of Premiership) are also in the competition. Gloucester are 4th in the Premiership.

aloooof wrote: »
    Sale are in the Challenge Cup. Playing Connacht this weekend.

Newcastle (who are bottom of Premiership) are also in the competition. Gloucester are 4th in the Premiership.

Sorry, true dat. Was thinking of the teams that have played the provinces.

The weather forecast looks good. 6c with no rain, slight wind.

Gloucester are a very good side and this would be a great match if they had a full deck to deal from. But they're down a mammoth injury list including a number of key players which has hugely hurt them.

Even at that, they have a pack on the field that some are seriously underrating. Munster to win but they'll have to work hard to get on top of that Gloucester pack.

Buer wrote: »
    Gloucester are a very good side and this would be a great match if they had a full deck to deal from. But they're down a mammoth injury list including a number of key players which has hugely hurt them.

Even at that, they have a pack on the field that some are seriously underrating. Munster to win but they'll have to work hard to get on top of that Gloucester pack.

I don't know. Ben Morgan is probably their biggest name playing tonight and while he's a great player at this level the Munster team is stacked with internationals and test Lions. I wouldn't swap a single Munster player for his opposite number, maybe Twelvetrees on a good day.

Buer wrote: »

I don't know. Ben Morgan is probably their biggest name playing tonight and while he's a great player at this level the Munster team is stacked with internationals and test Lions. I wouldn't swap a single Munster player for his opposite number, maybe Twelvetrees on a good day.
    Cipriani and Mostert are far bigger names. Twelvetrees potentially a bigger profile too. Morgan isn't even first choice for them.

They're going with 3 locks on the field and looking to get into an arm wrestle. They won't win it but they'll give it a good go.

Shut up Buer.

Munster are just glad to be there and sure we'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Shut up Buer.

Munster are just glad to be there and sure we'll see how it goes.

Does that mean you won’t be having a bet on them then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Which i had the confidence in Munster that lot of people in here seem to have

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

Expecting a big game from Kleyn Stander tonight. Going to be confrontational

Advertisement