Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Local journalism

1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 8,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Aquos76

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭ friendlyfun

That should clear up some confusion and unhelpful speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭ Boooourns

He fails to mention why he got hit because it wasn't an unprovoked attack. She was no angel, far from it but as far as i'm aware she didn't just randomly attack him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭ BBM77

Fair enough but the point is there was history between the two of them. The people who started the discussion of failed to mention the full story. People like me who knew nothing about the whole thing beforehand thought it was a random attack on a woman who just died. That clearly was not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭ curmudgeonly

John 8:7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78

is it johns birthday today or something, fair play to him for making it to 87, tis a fair age!

Google is your friend,

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭ StringerBell

I took it to mean he was down 8lbs 7 ounces now, he has taken the diet a bit too far if you ask me but look **** it hes happy

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 7,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Gaspode

OK folks, can we get back on topic please.

The last few page have been a bit witch-hunty (yes it's a word) so dial back the personal comments a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭ Smell the glove

No column for the second week running in the news & star from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭ Gardner

there should never be a column from him ever again in the news and star. nobody should buy the news and star until they publicly address the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭ Wanderer2010

Id say he will get away with it. A few weeks suspension and then straight back into his job. Its crap money and crap hours so its not as if hes rolling in it but there would be a hundred people ready to take his place in an instant.

Bmhl, may I ask why?,are you Lesbian traveler by any chance that this effects you so personally? Or is it just a personal thing you have with him? It's just your certainty and judgement seem so... inflexible. I know and like the man, and he is a decent guy,who f*cked up royaly, admitted it publicly and will carry the consequences whatever they end up being. That does not seem to be enough for you, why? Or maybe rather than answer me you should ask yourself that question. While you are at it ask yourself how many times you personally have screwed up in your life and people have cut you some slack?I know I have more times than I care to remember.

Many journalists have done things within their personal life or through other media sources in Ireland which has seen them either jailed or sacked. What DS done here affects the N&S as a business. Few recent examples would be Kevin Myers, Noel Fogerty, Neil Francis, Eoghan Harris, Gemma O'Doherty, etc. All employers had to make a statement(s) on the matter to distance themselves from their employees view(s)/statement(s)/podcast(s) etc. The N&S has been silent. If anyone can’t see this then they really are either blinded by the sun or just a downright stupid.  

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭ friendlyfun

This was an isolated incident, a few off the cuff remarks. You can't compare what Darren has done with the likes of Doherty and Harris. They are serial provocateurs underserving of the title journalist. Doherty being a far right lunatic and Harris someone who trolled another journalist for months on Twitter and denied it at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ nomoedoe

The irony of you of all people calling others stupid,you want it to affect the N&S as a business but in reality it wont,its a small paper in a small city they dont have the same resources as national papers ,if they haven’t released a statement by now then are are never going to ,just dont buy the paper and if you have any friends tell him not to buy it either.

• Advertisement

wow, a lot of if, buts and general assumptions there. what a ridiculous post. take a look back over this thread and you will see this isn't the first time he has been in the spot light all for the wrong reasons but hey your assumptions keep you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭ Smell the glove

You make Darren sound like a victim 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ blacksuir

Have not seen anything by him in the paper with nearly a month now. Maybe he is writing but not putting his name to what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ blacksuir

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ azimuth17

I think he is a good journalist. He did a lot of valuable investigative work around the second cath lab which exposed the duplicitous carry on by government and the HSE for example..

look at this from 2 perspectives:

1. Professionally: Skelton character assassinated a vulnerable person who is now deceased via a formal method of media communication. Nobody is baying for blood. We got Skelton's statement. We just want accountability from WNS (his employers) who have remained silent when one of their senior reporters is obviously on gardening leave. Is that not too much to ask for? Will he make a reappearance in January in the paper and all is forgiven? kicking a can down the road is not always the best policy both personally and professionally.
    2. Personally: I do hope Darren is getting as much much personally (family and friends) and professionally with getting over this. We've all been down garden paths in life when things didn't look too rosy. He himself has been open in podcasts and articles about previous issues he has had and must be commended on that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement