Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Local journalism

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ nomoedoe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭ StringerBell

I've heard it today, after reading his apology.

Probably just me being desensitised or something but the only part I found tough to listen to was the shrill laughter if the 3 of them, it was tough to get through that to the actual words.

Just sounded like your usual bar room **** talk tbh, the traveller he mentioned is a pest, lived near me at one point. What he says about the woman who died was obviously ill thought out, a bit too much fanta maybe.

Never heard the podcast before and from the shrill obnoxious shouting and laughing all together at the start of the clip I heard I am definitely not going to be adding it to my rotation anyway. Not everyone needs a podcast lads.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭ Oscar Madison

Was that it? A bucket of noise was all!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ sudocremegg

Jesus can't believe people listen to this shíte. What an insufferable fool.

But thanks for posting the link for the majority of us who have no clue what this is all about.

[quote] They aren't really gossip groups. It's basically just called having friends and chatting. I'd actually say boards is more of a gossip website 👍🏻 [/quote]

Have plenty of friends and am in plenty of groups, but tbf lad, I've been living here over 30 years and I don't know a single person who reads up with the news & star or knows who these nobody's are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭ friendlyfun

I don't know why you wold name someone publicly like that if you were about to absolutely pummel them with insults when they have members of their family alive. Waterford is a smaller place than people think. Surely on podcast you'd try at least censor what you say? It was very brazen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭ Gardner

nothing from the News and Star yet. no statement, nothing!

his apology was very mealy mouthed.

Best thing to do would be wound down that podcast and let that be the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mollyp

What I can't understand is how this passed the producer. Surely their job is to veto any conversations that can't be broadcasted. I also see the N&S are advertising a new job vacancy for a news reporter. I don't condone their actions and Darren should've known better but he's made a huge mistake. I hope the apology will be enough and he'll learn his lesson. He doesn't deserve to lose his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭ dzilla

Must have had a few drinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78

yup, i completely agree, theres something seriously going wrong with the n&s editorial division here, jesus this podcast sounds truly dreadful, seriously unprofessional stuff, major failings at an editorial level!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ nomoedoe

The podcast had nothing to do with the news and star he done it in a personal capacity

ah that makes a lot of sense, sorry darren, but this ones on you, and unfortunately that could be that, seriously unprofessional stuff, theres an ethics in journalism

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ Motivator

Not when you don’t even hold a degree in journalism

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ tobey

The 3 of em are typical Waterford whinges. and that Charlie fella lives in one of the estates on the abbey park hill now. wonder do many people know Darren's a swinger

ffs 🤣

I know I've been calling Skelton a spoofer for the past few years on boards and ultimately proved right but leave off the accusations about you know what.

The problem here is the divide between your professional and personal life. If you are a journalist you are under public surveillance to a certain extent. You are expected to hold yourself to a higher standard because you have influence.

The content wasn't really terrible, but the fact that it was made public is the problem. Sounded like a fairly normal private conversation you might have about something. But a conversation that should have remained private.

How could someone let something go out without some sort of scrutiny or consideration for the family of person mentioned. I could sense at least one of the hosts wasn't entirely comfortable as they were apologising for laughing at what was said, so they definitely felt a sense of unease at the conversation.

"The content wasn't really terrible, but the fact that it was made public is the problem. Sounded like a fairly normal private conversation you might have about something. But a conversation that should have remained private."

What planet are you living on?? idiot

academia isnt all what its cracked up to be, a lot of sh1te comes from that world to, id imagine theres many good journalists that have little or no academic background, id have to agree with others, when your job is in the public domain, you should conduct yourself accordingly, i cant imagine any journalist from the news and stars parent paper, the times, would behave as such.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭ BBM77

Thanks for posting this. Just shows it is important to get your info from the source. Terrible way to talk in a media context. He could have used better language and still made the same point. However, I do find it a bit disingenuous that the people who kicked this discussion of left out the context that the women in question punched Skelton in the face one day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭ Captain Red Beard

I wouldn't hold that against her. Most people who've met him felt like doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ Motivator

So you don’t expect a person who works as a journalist to have an academic qualification? Many old school journalists and broadcasters may not have the relevant qualifications but they spent years learning the ropes before getting anywhere near the main gig. Skelton was a DJ or something as well as being a self confessed gambling addict that all of a sudden became a front page reporter for the Waterford News and Star. It doesn’t make much sense to me how he got the position. I’d be confident my 7 year old daughter could write better articles as well.

How about actually respond to what you think is wrong without name calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lisdugganhead

Apar

Post edited by Lisdugganhead on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭ BBM77

Don’t know the woman in question or Skelton nor do I give a dam about either of them. What Skelton did was 100% wrong. But am I the only one uncomfortable with this thread? From the language used, seems to be more about settling old scores than anything else. All journalists spend most of the time on a high horse. Don’t think Skelton is any different than any of them.

Smartphones are the new pitchforks. People get a bit of satisfaction out of feeling righteous and they are on some sort of crusade between good and evil. The concept of forgiveness is totally lost on this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭ GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Why do you mention him being a (reformed) gambling addict as if that impacts his qualifications as a journalist? What difference does that make? Addiction can happen to anyone and doesn't make someone any less capable once steps have been taken to control it.

no i dont, we ve placed academia on a pedestal, and this is having major negative effects on our society at large, yes some truly incredible advancements have come from this sector, but some truly awful stuff to, society needs a good mix of backgrounds, from academia, to trades, and everything in between, but we have designed our educational and training systems purely around academia, and this is now causing serious problems.... again id imagine, theres probably some great journalists out there that simply have life experiences, and little or no academic background

so what if darren was a dj, a persons background shouldnt matter that much, and so what if he was/is a gambler, such addictions are common in society, and occur because of a number of generally complex reasons, ive worked with many, they showed up for work with all their dysfunctions in full display, and worked! fair play to him for admitting it, as most of us wouldnt do so, society attempts to shame and ridicule such behaviors, when the reality is, these folks actually need our support in getting help, and not our attempts in shaming!

i suspect you maybe expecting a little too much of your daughter, im not aware of any such person writing for a local paper, djing etc, she maybe clever, but.....

yes darren was completely wrong in this situation, and i suspect is now knowing all too well about it, im extremely disappointed in him, but hopefully he bounces back from this, he probably needs to do some soul searching though, if he is indeed struggling with gambling, he may have much closer ties with the person he mentioned in the podcast....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭ StringerBell

Skelton is incredibly unpopular in some corners, I've no idea why or how someone who seemingly has no relationship with people could stir up such emotion but sure look, it is what it is

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭ Oscar Madison

I see that the Waterford News & Star are now advertising for a journalist?

Waterford News & Star | Facebook

Advertisement