Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Local journalism

123578

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭ kuang1


    DLS_75 wrote: »
    Does he pick up rubbish on the street as well?

    Haven't seen this lad do that... Not sure his belly would make it too easy for him to pick up anything tbf.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭ Gardner


    DLS_75 wrote: »
    Does he pick up rubbish on the street as well?

    i'm surprised you didn't get him mixed up with John Halligans clone :rolleyes:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ debok


    kuang1 wrote: »
    That the lad who is forever eating? Bag of chips, 2 litre of coke or an ice cream always in his hand?
    Walks a few steps, stops, scans around 180° and walks on another few steps?

    That him yeh.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ debok


    DLS_75 wrote: »
    Does he pick up rubbish on the street as well?

    Never seen him pick rubbish.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ debok


    Darren Skelton sensationalising people getting off drunk driving charges this week. How dare he.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ gscully


    We're so lucky to have a journalist of his calibre working in Waterford,you can see from his pic on the front page that people are in awe when he speaks to them,hanging on his every word,every stroke of the pen.

    Ive heard rumours that the guardian of the deise mooted for the quays is actually going to be a 200ft statue of him,i couldn't think of a more deserving person to watch over our city.

    I heard it was going to be Brendan McCann, but he has objected to it.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,086 ✭✭✭✭ Harry Palmr


    This is getting genuinely pathetic. If it's not already there.


  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 8,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Aquos76


    Christ, no matter what Darren reports on he can win in this thread, how many stories have we found out about due to his and Waterford N&S reporting on them, that we would have never known about.

    The hospital is a shambles and he is dead right to be reporting on this, there is a drug problem in our city and like there is all across the country, if people want to bury their heads in the sand, that that’s there choice. The headline “Junkie City” wasn’t his either, that came from the editor.

    This morning story is again a serious issue, if people are getting away with a drink driving charge due to a flaw in the system then that needs to be addressed and hopefully it will save someone from either being killed or killing another person due to drink driving.

    The Mortuary story, I won’t even mention how the HSE done everything in their power to stop him from going public with that one.

    But no doubt this post will be seen as me defending my brother, that fact remains, he’s a bloody good journalist, if he wasn’t, they he wouldn’t have so many people trying to cut the **** out of him.

    Rant over.....


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ debok


    Aquos76 wrote: »
    Christ, no matter what Darren reports on he can win in this thread, how many stories have we found out about due to his and Waterford N&S reporting on them, that we would have never known about.

    The hospital is a shambles and he is dead right to be reporting on this, there is a drug problem in our city and like there is all across the country, if people want to bury their heads in the sand, that that’s there choice. The headline “Junkie City” wasn’t his either, that came from the editor.

    This morning story is again a serious issue, if people are getting away with a drink driving charge due to a flaw in the system then that needs to be addressed and hopefully it will save someone from either being killed or killing another person due to drink driving.

    I won’t even mention how the HSE done everything in their power to stop him from going public with that one.

    But no doubt this post will be seen as me defending my brother, that fact remains, he’s a bloody good journalist, if he wasn’t, they he wouldn’t have so many people trying to cut the **** out of him.

    Rant over.....

    I was only being sarcastic above about the drunk driving story. Another story we wouldn't hear about without the news and star. People seem to read most things in an automatic offended mode this day. He's a good journalist and maybe the headlines are sensationalised but a lot of people wouldn't know half of what's going on in the city without the news and star and Darren's work. The Munster on the other hand is just a collection of parish notes and obituaries.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭ iseegirls


    Always find the News & Star a good read. Amazes me the amount of the content that goes into each edition a week what is such a small team there.

    The sports pages contains so much match analysis, that would put the Indo and Times to shame. 32 pages, no full page ads, all results and tables published, greyhound reviews, a lot of GAA. Really impressed, even though I'm only a football fan really but always contains a Waterford FC review, analysis, and an interview from the boss - something you don't get anywhere else on paper.

    Other parts like Gautier Heritage Rambles are so interesting. There's a host of other local people that have there little pieces throughout the paper - Fat Angel to review wine, Orchardstown doing weekly gardening advice, kingfisher with gym tips etc.

    And that's not even mentioning the main paper. Plenty of news stories - many which are lifted from the paper and creates plenty of discussion on here.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭ vriesmays


    It's the same every week and is full of ads.


  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ DLS_75


    vriesmays wrote: »
    It's the same every week and is full of ads.

    You’re the same every week.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭ Stopitwillya


    As a GAA fan news and star is second to none. Excellent match reports on local club games from Phil fanning who writes about all the grades and has very good knowledge and also like reading Paul Flynn's analysis. Alot better than the GAA coverage in the Munster.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ debok


    Excellent headline this week.


  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ DLS_75


    According to Darren Skelton on Twitter there was another story supposed to lead but solicitors pulled it. Don’t suppose anyone on here has any insights into what that could be?


  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 8,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Aquos76


    Sorry lads, not interested in the thread going off on a tangent again


  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ DLS_75


    Aquos76 wrote: »
    Sorry lads, not interested in the thread going off on a tangent again

    To be fair, this is the local journalism thread.


  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 8,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Aquos76


    DLS_75 wrote: »
    To be fair, this is the local journalism thread.

    Yes it is, but the comment which i deleted was clearly trolling, your comment was deleted only because you quoted the original comment which I deemed as trolling.


  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ DLS_75


    No probs


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ debok


    Whos comment was deleted


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ DLS_75


    debok wrote: »
    Whos comment was deleted

    John Halligan’s


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭ AdMMM


    I'm only down in Waterford once a month now, but I do try and read as many of the local papers as I can.

    The N&S has great stories but the only jarring thing is that its move to more sensationalist headlines makes it seem as if Waterford is worse than it ever was. In reality, every time I visit Waterford, I'm seeing a busier city with a great buzz about the place. The fact that we now have a paper that isn't afraid to expose these stories is a great thing, I just hate that it's so sensationalist and encroaching into tabloid territory.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭ friendlyfun


    AdMMM wrote: »
    I'm only down in Waterford once a month now, but I do try and read as many of the local papers as I can.

    The N&S has great stories but the only jarring thing is that its move to more sensationalist headlines makes it seem as if Waterford is worse than it ever was. In reality, every time I visit Waterford, I'm seeing a busier city with a great buzz about the place. The fact that we now have a paper that isn't afraid to expose these stories is a great thing, I just hate that it's so sensationalist and encroaching into tabloid territory.

    Carreful now! You can't say it's sensationalised! Couldn't be doing that now can we


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭ Gardner


    Mr Skelton it seems is in a bit of bother. Actually no, I think his position is untenable with WNS after this. Check out his pick n mix podcast, latest episode. Absolutely lowest of the low stuff no matter what the situation is.

    Absolute braindead stuff from Skelton but it's no surprise to some of us. Do I hate saying it? But I told ye so :)



  • Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78




  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ Valhalla90


    I think it's been removed, I am honestly shocked at what I heard and it must be extremely difficult for the individuals family to hear this as she has passed away and the discussion and content is absolutely disgraceful and disrespectful.



  • Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78




  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ Christy Browne


    Anyone care to enlighten us with what was said?



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭ Gardner


    it's doing the rounds on WhatsApp groups so it will get to you at some stage. I'm not posting it here as it's an absolute disgrace. This is the end game for him I think. He was always going to slip up at some stage.



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭ Smell the glove


    Should be the end of him now.



Advertisement