Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Local journalism

124678

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭ Flow Motion


    Gardner wrote: »
    great front cover of the news and star this week. becoming a spin off of the Sun newspaper with the quality of headlines and and articles

    I agree. 100%. Some parts of the WN+S are good. But some of headlines have been sensationalised over past few years if you were being honest. I do like the 'Well' section. Some light relief to the constant doom and gloom contained in the main part of the paper!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭ mooseknunkle


    I agree. 100%. Some parts of the WN+S are good. But some of headlines have been sensationalised over past few years if you were being honest. I do like the 'Well' section. Some light relief to the constant doom and gloom contained in the main part of the paper!

    There's an apology on page 2 this week for a story they ran on the front page last week,it really just sums up the news and star theses days.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭ Stopitwillya


    Gardner wrote: »
    great front cover of the news and star this week. becoming a spin off of the Sun newspaper with the quality of headlines and and articles

    They should of had an article telling us how great John halligan is in order to keep you happy Gardner.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭ Stopitwillya


    Gardner wrote: »
    great front cover of the news and star this week. becoming a spin off of the Sun newspaper with the quality of headlines and and articles

    They should of had an article telling us how great John halligan is in order to keep you happy Gardner.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ debok


    They should of had an article telling us how great John halligan is in order to keep you happy Gardner.

    A story about John halligans greatness ciuld only be in Waterford whispers news.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭ friendlyfun


    I agree. 100%. Some parts of the WN+S are good. But some of headlines have been sensationalised over past few years if you were being honest. I do like the 'Well' section. Some light relief to the constant doom and gloom contained in the main part of the paper!

    Wasn't there headline few years back on the N&S front page calling Waterford a "Junkie City" pretty low tbh


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭ Wanderer2010


    Wasn't there headline few years back on the N&S front page calling Waterford a "Junkie City" pretty low tbh

    And this is exactly what good reporters like Darren Skelton is talking about- when you expose nasty elements of Waterford city like the ongoing scandal over the mortuary, the lack of cardiac care and all the drug problems in this city, the snowflakes get all offended and even on the marches for 24/7 cardiac care, apparently people in cars beep the horns in anger at protesters. Its as if nobody gives a fcuk about trying to improve the city. There are junkies everywhere in Waterford, I see it every day. No need to get precious over it because a headline said so.

    Im surprised sometimes at how utterly stupid some people are when it comes to reading headlines. If you cant accept the truth fine but don't shoot the messenger.


  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ DLS_75


    Never met the lad but when he did an obituary for my father a few years ago he called to my mother's house on a Saturday morning with a bunch of flowers. He doesn't know any of our family from Adam as far as I know. Say what you want about front pages but that was decent.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    And this is exactly what good reporters like Darren Skelton is talking about- when you expose nasty elements of Waterford city like the ongoing scandal over the mortuary, the lack of cardiac care and all the drug problems in this city, the snowflakes get all offended and even on the marches for 24/7 cardiac care, apparently people in cars beep the horns in anger at protesters. Its as if nobody gives a fcuk about trying to improve the city. There are junkies everywhere in Waterford, I see it every day. No need to get precious over it because a headline said so.

    Im surprised sometimes at how utterly stupid some people are when it comes to reading headlines. If you cant accept the truth fine but don't shoot the messenger.

    maybe it would be better to approach our drug problems a little better, by not using the term 'junkie', as it has a negative connotation towards the problem. i am a little biased towards darren though, as i know him to some degree, and i wish him well, he has done some good work, as mentioned.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭ mooseknunkle


    And this is exactly what good reporters like Darren Skelton is talking about- when you expose nasty elements of Waterford city like the ongoing scandal over the mortuary, the lack of cardiac care and all the drug problems in this city, the snowflakes get all offended and even on the marches for 24/7 cardiac care, apparently people in cars beep the horns in anger at protesters. Its as if nobody gives a fcuk about trying to improve the city. There are junkies everywhere in Waterford, I see it every day. No need to get precious over it because a headline said so.

    Im surprised sometimes at how utterly stupid some people are when it comes to reading headlines. If you cant accept the truth fine but don't shoot the messenger.

    So people who dont agree with the n&s are snowflakes :rolleyes: gimme a ****ing break,arent you the fella who wouldnt drink in a pub in town because a couple of lads in there looked at you the wrong way :pac:

    The bit in bold relates to the apology in this weeks paper have a look at it and then come back,the truth being exaggerated just to get a sensational headline,very unprofessional and not needed from a local newspaper.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,086 ✭✭✭✭ Harry Palmr


    As a rule beeping horns is a sign of support (yeah, really!)


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭ Wanderer2010


    So people who dont agree with the n&s are snowflakes :rolleyes: gimme a ****ing break,arent you the fella who wouldnt drink in a pub in town because a couple of lads in there looked at you the wrong way :pac:

    The bit in bold relates to the apology in this weeks paper have a look at it and then come back,the truth being exaggerated just to get a sensational headline,very unprofessional and not needed from a local newspaper.

    Ha ha, good way to try and support your point, make an irrelevant point about me not liking a well-known rough pub. Ignoring your projection, the fact is Darren Skelton has been instrumental in highlighting major failings in the hospital when it comes to Waterford being downright ignored when it comes to 24/7 cardiac care, he asks all the tough and necessary questions of our elected officials and isn't afraid to go against the grain for the sake of the truth.

    Would you prefer we live in some deluded bubble where Waterford is great, there are no issues, no drugs and no crime whatsoever? If you want simple and confirmative media, read The Munster Express, where officials are treated with kid gloves for whatever reasons and the articles lack the quality of N&S. Personally, I like to know whats really going on in the city. An odd mistake like the one you highlighted is hardly an effective antibody to brave journalism now is it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ DLS_75


    So people who dont agree with the n&s are snowflakes :rolleyes: gimme a ****ing break,arent you the fella who wouldnt drink in a pub in town because a couple of lads in there looked at you the wrong way :pac:

    The bit in bold relates to the apology in this weeks paper have a look at it and then come back,the truth being exaggerated just to get a sensational headline,very unprofessional and not needed from a local newspaper.

    My wife lives in Kill, and I know exactly what this is about. Nothing was exaggerated at all but I won’t comment further on a public forum as the family would probably sue 😂


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭ mooseknunkle


    An odd mistake like the one you highlighted is hardly an effective antibody to brave journalism now is it?

    Hold on so ignoring all the other stuff you said,you call exaggerating a story about a local woman's death in a local newspaper just to get a sensational headline brave journalism??,and when the family call the newspaper out on this and they issue a public apology you say ah sure its just an odd mistake!


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭ Wanderer2010


    Hold on so ignoring all the other stuff you said,you call exaggerating a story about a local woman's death in a local newspaper just to get a sensational headline brave journalism??,and when the family call the newspaper out on this and they issue a public apology you say ah sure its just an odd mistake!

    Im talking about all the other headlines in the newspaper about the drug problems, the ongoing saga of being denied 24/7, the North Quays etc etc, are you trying to say all of that is factually incorrect?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭ mooseknunkle


    There's just no talking with headaballs like you,im done good luck!!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ debok


    So people who dont agree with the n&s are snowflakes :rolleyes: gimme a ****ing break,arent you the fella who wouldnt drink in a pub in town because a couple of lads in there looked at you the wrong way :pac:

    The bit in bold relates to the apology in this weeks paper have a look at it and then come back,the truth being exaggerated just to get a sensational headline,very unprofessional and not needed from a local newspaper.

    Snowflakes. Sorry can't take anyone serious that uses snowflakes.
    Is news and star first paper to make an apology?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭ mooseknunkle


    debok wrote: »
    Snowflakes. Sorry can't take anyone serious that uses snowflakes.
    Is news and star first paper to make an apology?

    I didnt bring up snowflakes that other headaball did!

    My point is not about the apology,its about that they shouldn't of had to issue one,its a local paper for ffs talking about people who all probably know each other Waterford is a small place,they should of had 100% of the facts right before printing it across the front page and exaggerating it just to make it sensational,but hey as they say dont let the facts get in the way of a good story!


  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ DLS_75


    Liz Reddy just sensationalised Maurice Shanahan’s retirement on Twitter.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭ Gardner


    DLS_75 wrote: »
    Liz Reddy just sensationalised Maurice Shanahan’s retirement on Twitter.

    unbelievable stuff. her follow up tweet :eek:

    if you look at the local journalists at all levels there isn't one of them that would step up to the plate at national level whether it would be with Newstalk, RTE today fm etc.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ DLS_75


    Gardner wrote: »
    unbelievable stuff. her follow up tweet :eek:

    if you look at the local journalists at all levels there isn't one of them that would step up to the plate at national level whether it would be with Newstalk, RTE today fm etc.

    Lol I don’t think anybody looks at them at the level that you and John do


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭ friendlyfun


    And this is exactly what good reporters like Darren Skelton is talking about- when you expose nasty elements of Waterford city like the ongoing scandal over the mortuary, the lack of cardiac care and all the drug problems in this city, the snowflakes get all offended and even on the marches for 24/7 cardiac care, apparently people in cars beep the horns in anger at protesters. Its as if nobody gives a fcuk about trying to improve the city. There are junkies everywhere in Waterford, I see it every day. No need to get precious over it because a headline said so.

    Im surprised sometimes at how utterly stupid some people are when it comes to reading headlines. If you cant accept the truth fine but don't shoot the messenger.

    I've seen friends become "Junkies" in Waterford. Don't lecture me about being a "snowflake",using that word makes you lose some credibility. There people in this town who have problems, but calling Waterford a "junkie city" is hyperbolic nonsense, but also disrespectful to one of them I know, who was in fact a talented hurler.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭ Gardner


    DLS_75 wrote: »
    Lol I don’t think anybody looks at them at the level that you and John do

    Why shouldn't you? Do we accept there ineptness because their local?
    BTW who's John? If i go into the thread about Waterford characters and post about Joey De Blanc you probably think i'm his long lost son :o


  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ DLS_75


    Gardner wrote: »
    Why shouldn't you? Do we accept there ineptness because their local?
    BTW who's John? If i go into the thread about Waterford characters and post about Joey De Blanc you probably think i'm his long lost son :o

    Every man and his dog knows that you’re associated with John Halligan. It’s blindingly obvious. You’re also a little obsessed with Darren Skelton too by the look at some of your posts...but I assume that has more to do with things he’s probably written about Mr Halligan. I’m not qualified to talk about anyone’s ineptness in local papers but I will say this, up to a couple of years ago I was working in New Ross and Enniscorthy and you should have seen their local papers. 80 year olds dying made the front page more weeks than you’d believe. They’re local papers ffs, get over it!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭ Gardner


    DLS_75 wrote: »
    Every man and his dog knows that you’re associated with John Halligan. It’s blindingly obvious. You’re also a little obsessed with Darren Skelton too by the look at some of your posts...but I assume that has more to do with things he’s probably written about Mr Halligan. I’m not qualified to talk about anyone’s ineptness in local papers but I will say this, up to a couple of years ago I was working in New Ross and Enniscorthy and you should have seen their local papers. 80 year olds dying made the front page more weeks than you’d believe. They’re local papers ffs, get over it!


    CSI DLS to the core :rolleyes:

    any chance of the euro millions numbers tonight?


  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭ Flow Motion


    Gardner wrote: »
    Why shouldn't you? Do we accept there ineptness because their local?
    BTW who's John? If i go into the thread about Waterford characters and post about Joey De Blanc you probably think i'm his long lost son :o

    Slightly off topic but... Joey deBlanc is still knocking around. Saw him out the Dunmore Road quite a few times recently. The posh part of town eh? Remember him from childhood being an inner city dude. Must have made a mint during the Celtic Tiger. Seems to have got a haircut. Being chased by him as a young fella was a scary experience. Okay he was taunted a lot by school kids back in the day. The town was full of said "characters" during the 80's : Eddie Batt, Mad Tex, Martin Hunt, Joey deBlanc being the leading lights. The walk home from school was always eventful.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,086 ✭✭✭✭ Harry Palmr


    Reddy blitzed that tweet. I'm sure we're all going to sleep more soundly for it.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ debok


    Slightly off topic but... Joey deBlanc is still knocking around. Saw him out the Dunmore Road quite a few times recently. The posh part of town eh? Remember him from childhood being an inner city dude. Must have made a mint during the Celtic Tiger. Seems to have got a haircut. Being chased by him as a young fella was a scary experience. Okay he was taunted a lot by school kids back in the day. The town was full of said "characters" during the 80's : Eddie Batt, Mad Tex, Martin Hunt, Joey deBlanc being the leading lights. The walk home from school was always eventful.
    He's on dunmore road every evening . Constantly Walks between woodlands and the maxol.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭ kuang1


    debok wrote: »
    He's on dunmore road every evening . Constantly Walks between woodlands and the maxol.

    That the lad who is forever eating? Bag of chips, 2 litre of coke or an ice cream always in his hand?
    Walks a few steps, stops, scans around 180° and walks on another few steps?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ DLS_75


    kuang1 wrote: »
    That the lad who is forever eating? Bag of chips, 2 litre of coke or an ice cream always in his hand?
    Walks a few steps, stops, scans around 180° and walks on another few steps?

    Does he pick up rubbish on the street as well?


Advertisement