Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Local journalism

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭ mooseknunkle

decies wrote: »
    Is DT on holidays already ?

He's in Barcelona with Boh's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,086 ✭✭✭✭ Harry Palmr

Blimey o reilly. DT sounds utterly bored.

My goodness DT is terrible, I wanted him to be a success but I can't abide him now. When trying to be light and fluffy he becomes the world's worst/creepiest avuncular host. Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ crazydude

So guys I am wondering I see at least 2 candidates in the city are running in 2 areas. What happens if they get elected in both?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ DLS_75

At the directly elected mayor meeting last night someone was saying that Dermot Keyes is joining the news and star. Dunno if there's any truth in it.

• Advertisement

They took their time but RTE has found their new correspondent for the SE - Conor Kane. Ex Examiner and Indo where he had the same role.

Jasus just get him off the radio. DT is terrible, was happy to give him every chance but he cannot do radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭ Chip Whitley

Personally I like 'DT'! He may be unpolished as a presenter at times but he's definitely growing into it. He's passionate about Waterford too and not afraid to ask tough questions when required.

I saw Boxworks say today that their co-worker Jennifer O'Connell who writes for the Irish Times (iirc) and appears on Brendan O'Connors show is moving to WLR.

Personally I like 'DT'! He may be unpolished as a presenter at times but he's definitely growing into it. He's passionate about Waterford too and not afraid to ask tough questions when required.

I saw Boxworks say today that their co-worker Jennifer O'Connell who writes for the Irish Times (iirc) and appears on Brendan O'Connors show is moving to WLR.

Just moving to WLR to save money on office space though. She’s not actually going to be working for WLR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭ Chip Whitley

DLS_75 wrote: »
    Just moving to WLR to save money on office space though. She’s not actually going to be working for WLR

Ah, thanks for clarifying ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭ friendlyfun

Do they play the same music every day? Do they not change their playlists?

Seems they love playing "there she goes" by the las everyday just because the lead signers parents were from Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭ Wanderer2010

Kind of dismayed that Dermot Keyes has joined the News and Star. I wouldn't rate him as a journalist at all- no grit or backbone to his stories. Darren Skelton is the best journalist in the country in my view, not afraid at all to ask the politicians the tough questions and relentless in his pursuit of the truth, case in point the cardiac care, the mortuary scandal. Top top journalist and I really hope Keyes isn't being primed up to replace him because im out of he does.

I gave up the Munster Express years ago because his articles were so pedestrian and he doesn't want to offend a soul, his interviews and questions were so aimed at people-pleasing I couldn't read him anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭ Captain Red Beard

Kind of dismayed that Dermot Keyes has joined the News and Star. I wouldn't rate him as a journalist at all- no grit or backbone to his stories. Darren Skelton is the best journalist in the country in my view, not afraid at all to ask the politicians the tough questions and relentless in his pursuit of the truth, case in point the cardiac care, the mortuary scandal. Top top journalist and I really hope Keyes isn't being primed up to replace him because im out of he does.

I gave up the Munster Express years ago because his articles were so pedestrian and he doesn't want to offend a soul, his interviews and questions were so aimed at people-pleasing I couldn't read him anymore.

Hello Darren.

Hello Darren.

Ha ha nope. Im sure he is on here though.

I agree with most of that but I think you’re being harsh on Dermot. The Munster was the paper we bought all the time but for the last few years they have been toothless. I don’t think that’s Dermot Keyes’s fault. He appeared to be writing all the articles on the paper - including the sport pages - so you’d have to wonder how he’d have the time to do what Skelton does in the news and star. I assume Dermot has been hired to replace Marion. Is there 3 journalists there now? To be fair, in this day and age to have 3 full time journalists working for a paper is amazing.

Also, anyone notice that the news and star are now putting up all their stories online? They never did that before as far as I know.

As for Damien Tiernan on WLR. I think he’s different class and will only get better.

I agree with most of that but I think you’re being harsh on Dermot. The Munster was the paper we bought all the time but for the last few years they have been toothless. I don’t think that’s Dermot Keyes’s fault. He appeared to be writing all the articles on the paper - including the sport pages - so you’d have to wonder how he’d have the time to do what Skelton does in the news and star. I assume Dermot has been hired to replace Marion. Is there 3 journalists there now? To be fair, in this day and age to have 3 full time journalists working for a paper is amazing.

Also, anyone notice that the news and star are now putting up all their stories online? They never did that before as far as I know.

As for Damien Tiernan on WLR. I think he’s different class and will only get better.

I didn't know he was writing most of the stories for TME. Im not surprised he jumped ship but I stand by my comments on his style of journalism. Id say any of our elected representatives are delighted when they see him because he never, ever asks tough questions and allows the other person to control the content. Even seen him throw in a few jokes with someone when really he should have been going for the jugular. Skelton is your man for balls and tough questioning.

I actually think Tiernan is doing a stellar job at WLRFM, again he asks the right questions and isn't at all phased by titles or people trying to intimidate him or control the direction of the interview. But who knows, maybe that style doesn't go down too well with the owners, who probably have certain rapports with businessmen and politicians in the city after all these years. So he probably wont stay for too long..

Ha ha nope. Im sure he is on here though.

He's had 5 different accounts

He's had 5 different accounts

😂 do you hate him too?

What’s his account now?

I didn't know he was writing most of the stories for TME. Im not surprised he jumped ship but I stand by my comments on his style of journalism. Id say any of our elected representatives are delighted when they see him because he never, ever asks tough questions and allows the other person to control the content. Even seen him throw in a few jokes with someone when really he should have been going for the jugular. Skelton is your man for balls and tough questioning.

I actually think Tiernan is doing a stellar job at WLRFM, again he asks the right questions and isn't at all phased by titles or people trying to intimidate him or control the direction of the interview. But who knows, maybe that style doesn't go down too well with the owners, who probably have certain rapports with businessmen and politicians in the city after all these years. So he probably wont stay for too long..

I think you’re bang on. Local media are completely held hostage by advertisers, but you’d imagine it’s the same up and down the country. Tiernan is his own man though and I think he’ll push the envelope. He might even get away with more because WLR surely don’t want to lose him. As far as they’re concerned, he’s box office.

😂 do you hate him too?

What’s his account now?

I don't hate anyone kid

I'm sure you know what accounts the 5 are no need for me to tell you

• Advertisement

I don't hate anyone kid

I'm sure you know what accounts the 5 are no need for me to tell you

Haven’t a notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭ curmudgeonly

I am Darren Skelton.

V

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭ kuang1

I'M Darren Skelton!

I’m Darren Skelton and so is my wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78

DLS_75 wrote:

Is that even legally allowed, you disgust me!

You are both fcuking LEGENDS!

DT at some tech fair thing in town and it's terrible stuff, hard to listen to so I've stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭ Teebor15

DT at some tech fair thing in town and it's terrible stuff, hard to listen to so I've stopped.

Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭ Gardner

great front cover of the news and star this week. becoming a spin off of the Sun newspaper with the quality of headlines and and articles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ debok

Gardner wrote: »
    great front cover of the news and star this week. becoming a spin off of the Sun newspaper with the quality of headlines and and articles

Yeh they be better ofF not telling us about the governments documents that concern the county or the cost of moving train station. Or about a tribute night to Gary power or promoting the county final. Did Darren Skelton bully you when your younger?

Advertisement