Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Local journalism

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭ Teebor15

waterford wrote: »
    He was on 90k a year with RTE for 50 stories that's 1 per week, wasn't happy
    as under that format he wasn't crumbling or sweating give us a break.

He wasn't doing 50 stories a week. He was making 200+ but just 50 were making it to air.

The reporters have to find stories, film and edit then send to News HQ who decide what gets aired on any give day. I think his beef with RTE is that they are showing far less of these regional packages in favour of Dublin and International stories.

He was always very active on social media, especially during big events like for example the snow last year where he provided alot of information outside his obligations to RTE. He doesn't seem like the type who wants to get away with doing as little as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ 91wx763

Tuned in this morning but turned it off after 3 minutes.
    Talk about a tip toe through the tulips with John Halligan!

No different as to Billy without the collar!

What a wasted opportunity!

To say the first two shows have been "limp" would be an understatement. Normal service resumed. The WLR hierachy will be delira and excira.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,086 ✭✭✭✭ Harry Palmr

He gave Michael Martin a good grilling yesterday.

He needs to work out his line and phrasing of questioning though so it illicits a response that can be teased out.

I think you need to get the wax removed.

Letting MM not stray from his pre-prepared interview notes is a good grilling ?

"If FF were in power we'd deliver....." etc is a bit like "if me aunt had balls she;d be me uncle" etc.....

He challenged Martin a few times, unfortunately Brexit is FF's firewall right now (he invoked it again on Newstalk this morning) "we can't force an election cos of brexit" etc. He's right but it's dead handy for FF right now as it is FG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭ TheQuietFella

He needs to work out his line and phrasing of questioning though so it illicits a response that can be teased out.

Unfortunately he couldn't grill a rasher but isn't this just par for the course now.
    Why else have so many women been 'promoted' to the hot seat?

God be with the days of sterling interviews!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqU77I40mS0

I tuned off this morning, a shouting match between Glen Sheridan, Doc Fitz and DT with no rhyme or reason to what their points were. In fairness DT did say what good are 80 jobs in the old bowling alley on the Cork road to the middle town. He never said a lot would be minimum wage and part time.............

Much better today in the interview with the Seamus Walsh the Ardree hotel owner. That said though, Mr Walsh is so full of charisma and confidence it was never going to be a hard debate.

I was struck by the way the news desk shot his fox. It was billed last night as an exclusive story but the news about the high court appeal was all over the early morning headlines.

Deise Today having a technical nervous breakdown.

• Advertisement

Deise Today having a technical nervous breakdown.

He got through it well though, in fairness. WLR's production systems are shoite to be honest. There is a far better provider locally but Des and Michael doesn't like him :D

As for DT, I have to admit that he's coming on well- he gave David Cullinane a few good shots the other day. The total talk style is different, he gives good time to those he interviews, unlike Billy's 12 minutes and then he lost interest "we're right up on time" style. He's well researched. Agreed though that the newsroom using his lead items on the news beforehand waters down the show.

However I still think he'll wear the muzzle when eventually told to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭ decies

Damien Tiernan not a patch on Eamonn Keane who could add a bit of humour when needed . DT is just grim show has lost its soul . Can’t see this lasting over a year to be honest , but there you go .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭ BBM77

decies wrote: »
    Damien Tiernan not a patch on Eamonn Keane who could add a bit of humour when needed . DT is just grim show has lost its soul . Can’t see this lasting over a year to be honest , but there you go .

Think that is just aiming at the target audience. Most people who listen to that program would not exactly be glass is half full people.

No one at WLR sat down and said we need to appeal to the miserable bastard demographic. They are driven by advertising not cod psychology.

What ever they think they are appealing to, don’t think it’s working to be honest .

decies wrote: »
    What ever they think they are appealing to, don’t think it’s working to be honest .

I said the very same to Des W' a few weeks ago when he was with DT and he just smiled! It's a station without a soul to be honest but when you look at who
    is and who was employed there I think that says enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ Muttley79

Communicorp owns basically every media outlet in this country.yes to you and me it's king rat Dennis o Brien that owns wlr making them just another propaganda machine for Dennis and his pals Fianna gael.wlr won't rock the boat to much in Waterford while his in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ iphonehead

Muttley79 wrote: »
    Communicorp owns basically every media outlet in this country.yes to you and me it's king rat Dennis o Brien that owns wlr making them just another propaganda machine for Dennis and his pals Fianna gael.wlr won't rock the boat to much in Waterford while his in charge.

Eh... The Irish Times own 75% of WLR and Beat to my knowledge with Des retaining the other 25%... certainly not O'Brien and Communicorp.

Indeed I was wondering what the **** he was on about!

As for DT on DT, I'm not a fan I have to say, was willing to hold off making a judgement until he had a chance to settle in. I find him an unsatisfactory somewhat clumsy presenter, his "chat" is awkward to my ears and by turns he is either too discursive or too direct. The best presenter was the Nov/Dec stand in ironically, Maria McCann was relaxed and developed a gentle flow in conversation while not ending up lightweight.

Technical gremlins that always seem to happen when broadcasting from Dungarvan ongoing today.

"Dead air", ads being hastily played and a deep feedback in the studio interviews.

The previous day's intro being replayed at the top of the show is simply unprofessional though..........

• Advertisement

91wx763 wrote: »
    Technical gremlins that always seem to happen when broadcasting from Dungarvan ongoing today.

"Dead air", ads being hastily played and a deep feedback in the studio interviews.

The previous day's intro being replayed at the top of the show is simply unprofessional though..........

Wow - you really seem to have a long standing gripe with WLRFM.

iphonehead wrote: »
    Wow - you really seem to have a long standing gripe with WLRFM.

Not at all.

I'm relating to what I hear. Which wasn't much of the 11am news ! You might have noticed if you were tuned in.

91wx763 wrote: »
    Not at all.

I'm relating to what I hear. Which wasn't much of the 11am news ! You might have noticed if you were tuned in.

My apologies - zero offence meant.

iphonehead wrote: »
    My apologies - zero offence meant.

None taken at all my friend :)

Yep it's a horrid mess, DT isn't much of a presenter for me but he must be on edge all the time waiting for the next press button/play-out SNAFU. He is being badly served by WLR

Yep it's a horrid mess, DT isn't much of a presenter for me but he must be on edge all the time waiting for the next press button/play-out SNAFU. He is being badly served by WLR

As is the whole county but it's been the same for decades!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭ alta stare

Maybe he is causing the issues. There doesnt seem to be much issues on the other shows across the day.

His programme was from Dungarvan yesterday, it's always a technical disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭ BBM77

As is the whole county but it's been the same for decades!

Have to say I agree. It annoys me how much they promote events in Cork. I’m not talking about paid for ads but discussions on shows. I remember one day listening for a while and they spent most of the show talking about Cork! Its supposed to be Waterford local radio for god sake.

• Advertisement

Is DT on holidays already ?

Advertisement