Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Local journalism

• 03-01-2019 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ invara

Out of respect for the legend that was Billy, can we start a new thread about the comings and goings in WLR, RTE and elsewhere?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,086 ✭✭✭✭ Harry Palmr

So then is Damien Tiernan taking over at Deise AM or it just co-incidence he has quit RTE? I was listening to WLR for a while this morning, female voice but as I missed the start I also missed any announcement if there was one!. DT is only 46 so would have plenty of years in him and WLR would be handy gig while they'd be happy to get him I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ invara

I just caught WLR for a few minutes today... I think it was Maria McCann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭ mooseknunkle

Andy Mac is leaving Beat,he's hardly taking over from Eamon is he ?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭ aaaaaaaahhhhhh

Andy Mac is leaving Beat,he's hardly taking over from Eamon is he ?
    Nooooooooooooooooo, please dont replace the Mac with one of the girls, they wrecks me head. A-Mac's show and [email protected] are the best weekday shows

Nooooooooooooooooo, please dont replace the Mac with one of the girls, they wrecks me head. A-Mac's show and [email protected] are the best weekday shows

Hes the best DJ on Beat at the moment they always seem to lose their best ones and keep the worst DJ's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ Iwouldinmesack

invara wrote: »
    Out of respect for the legend that was Billy, can we start a new thread about the comings and goings in WLR, RTE and elsewhere?

Legend? 🤔

Hes the best DJ on Beat at the moment they always seem to lose their best ones and keep the worst DJ's

Looks like He's gone already????? Also haven't heard DH on [email protected] in a while, hopefully he's not gone aswell

Maria McCann still presenting Deise Today (as it's now known), given that she seems to have settled in to the job it might be harsh to turf her out.

Looks like He's gone already????? Also haven't heard DH on [email protected] in a while, hopefully he's not gone aswell

Yeah looks like he is gone and no mention about it on the station or any of their social media,i wonder did he leave under bad circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ Mulbert

Yeah looks like he is gone and no mention about it on the station or any of their social media,i wonder did he leave under bad circumstances.

He probably didn't but we should all think the worst to be fair. Other than that we could start a few rumours.

• Advertisement

Mulbert wrote: »
    He probably didn't but we should all think the worst to be fair. Other than that we could start a few rumours.

I wasn't looking to start any rumours was just curious why he left,anyway looks like a big shift of presenters on beat with Emma Nolan coming back,but no change in the breakfast presenters.

Emma Nolan coming back,but no change in the breakfast presenters.
    What slot is she getting? Always thought she was the best girl presenter they had

What slot is she getting? Always thought she was the best girl presenter they had

Shes going in at 7pm and Dave Hammond lunchtime show,Darren Rice afternoon show and Dave Cronin taken Darren morning slot

Its all on their Twitter

https://twitter.com/beat102103

So Damien Tiernan gets the gig as expected. Maria McCann has done a fine job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭ Max Powers

So Damien Tiernan gets the gig as expected. Maria McCann has done a fine job.

DT is a decent skin anyway, good luck to him.

Jasus I'm listening to WLR right now and it's that 10-12 chatathon, Doing my head in, topics discussed so far include - toast, breakfast, parking. It's like being trapped in a suburban mothers' coffee morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭ Wanderer2010

Jasus I'm listening to WLR right now and it's that 10-12 chatathon, Doing my head in, topics discussed so far include - toast, breakfast, parking. It's like being trapped in a suburban mothers' coffee morning.

Its a chat show with a variety of topics and I personally think its great and Maria does a fine job of moderating. What topics would you have on it if you were in charge?

Damien Tiernan said during hist SBP interview that RTÉ’s Waterford studio produced an average of 220 TV radio stories a year in the early 2000s but that this has been cut to between 50-60.

Its a chat show with a variety of topics and I personally think its great and Maria does a fine job of moderating. What topics would you have on it if you were in charge?

Maybe it settled down after I bailed out but it was flitting from this to that, radio discussion needs structure.
    invara wrote: »
    Damien Tiernan said during hist SBP interview that RTɒs Waterford studio produced an average of 220 TV radio stories a year in the early 2000s but that this has been cut to between 50-60.

Did he put that in context of other local studios output?

Did he put that in context of other local studios output?

It suggests that he did in a document he prepared for RTE, but numbers not given in the pieces I read. RTE dispute the claim. I am not sure it is SE V other regions, more of regions versus national/Dublin.

• Advertisement

Good for him - clearly a proper local :)

He's actually from Wicklow just married a Waterford woman and has been living here since

Ah sure an adopted local is more local than a local ;)

He's right about the way RTE treats news from outside the pale - either it's a death or it's jobs and feck all else.

Anyone listening to the DT's? (Deise Today and Damien Tiernan)

Hang on, is that why they hired him?! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,472 EdgeCase

Ah sure an adopted local is more local than a local ;)

He's right about the way RTE treats news from outside the pale - either it's a death or it's jobs and feck all else.

The bit that gets me is the "and now for some news stories from our correspondents around the country"

Sounds like "here's some down the country news. I couldn't even be bothered writing a proper intro. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭ TheQuietFella

Tuned in this morning but turned it off after 3 minutes.
    Talk about a tip toe through the tulips with John Halligan!

No different as to Billy without the collar!

What a wasted opportunity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭ friendlyfun

Tuned in this morning but turned it off after 3 minutes.
    Talk about a tip toe through the tulips with John Halligan!

No different as to Billy without the collar!

What a wasted opportunity!

It's his first day on the job ffs. Give him a break. It's alright for McCann and Billy they did it for years. This is a new format Damien isn't used to.

Would love to put you on see how long you'd last before you'd crumble under your own sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ waterford

It's his first day on the job ffs. Give him a break. It's alright for McCann and Billy they did it for years. This is a new format Damien isn't used to.

Would love to put you on see how long you'd last before you'd crumble under your own sweat.

He was on 90k a year with RTE for 50 stories that's 1 per week, wasn't happy
    as under that format he wasn't crumbling or sweating give us a break.

• Advertisement

waterford wrote: »
    He was on 90k a year with RTE for 50 stories that's 1 per week, wasn't happy
    as under that format he wasn't crumbling or sweating give us a break.

What the hell has anything in your post got to do with what you quoted?

Advertisement