Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

State savings or prize bonds?

• 17-12-2018 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭ OU812

Have about €300 a month to put away for college funds down the line. Would I be better off with the state savings product or prize bonds?

Initial cash in will be about 11 years with a further draw four years later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭ BrokenArrows

OU812 wrote: »
    Have about €300 a month to put away for college funds down the line. Would I be better off with the state savings product or prize bonds?

Initial cash in will be about 11 years with a further draw four years later.

They both technically offer a similar rate of return. However you could get more from the prize bonds if you're lucky or absolutely nothing if you're unlucky.

If you want a guaranteed return then use the state bonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭ OU812

They both technically offer a similar rate of return. However you could get more from the prize bonds if you're lucky or absolutely nothing if you're unlucky.

If you want a guaranteed return then use the state bonds.

The prize bonds are depreciating though, no? A fiver now is the same fiver in 10 years but having had inflation nibble away at it whereas the state savings pays an apt of 16% over the life saving some of that depreciation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭ BrokenArrows

OU812 wrote: »
    The prize bonds are depreciating though, no? A fiver now is the same fiver in 10 years but having had inflation nibble away at it whereas the state savings pays an apt of 16% over the life saving some of that depreciation

Well the assumption is that you also get a return from the prize bonds too. They just get a return in "prizes".

State bonds are 16% after 10 years. As i said you may get less or more than this with prizebonds depending on how lucky you are.

Advertisement