Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downton Abbey

• 14-12-2018 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Comments

• Doesn't give much away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Royal visit maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Somewhat lacking in an antagonist or even some stakes!

They'll need to do more than pull all the cast back for a greatest hits reunion to make this more than an homage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Looks interesting

• Advertisement

Royal visit maybe?

According to Wikipedia, that's the plot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Agreed to bring the OH to this (going to treat ourselves to the Stella cinema)...but I've never watched Downton. So, a few questions, where is it available to watch? Is there a crash course if that isn't an option? And how much background will be necessary (do ye think / if anyone gets to it and then wants to answer) before seeing the movie?

Thanks all :D

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Agreed to bring the OH to this (going to treat ourselves to the Stella cinema)...but I've never watched Downton. So, a few questions, where is it available to watch? Is there a crash course if that isn't an option? And how much background will be necessary (do ye think / if anyone gets to it and then wants to answer) before seeing the movie?

Thanks all :D

It was on Netflix, but I think its been pulled in recent times. They've been showing the series from the start on either ITV3 or ITV4, though I think they're up to around season 5 of it at this stage, so not sure where you'd get a box-set of it?

I somehow don't think you'll need to do much of a crash course. Posh people upstairs, common people downstairs, Royal family coming for a visit. I imagine that about covers it.

Dowager Countess (Maggie Smith) - Sarcy old posh matriarch (generally entertaining)
    Robert (Hugh Bonneville) - Posh head of the house
    Cora - American wife of head of house. Generally over-acts & is very over-wrought
    Lady Mary - Posh eldest daughter. Every man that comes in to the show falls in love with her
    Henry - Posh guy, married to Mary, races cars
    Lady Edith - Posh middle daughter. Limp, wet rag
    Branson - Token Irishman, former mechanic, now part of the family, was married to youngest daughter, who is now dead
    Carson - Head Butler. Posh, dry, plays it straight, which usually results in humourous situations
    Ms Hughes - Head of the female servants, married to Carson
    Mr Bates - Man-servant, all round good guy (who may or may not have murdered at least 2 people in the past)
    Anna - Maid, married to Bates
    Ms Patmore - Generally flustered head cook
    Mr Barrow - Gay man-servant (used to be evil, not so much by the end)

Few others, but that probably covers the main characters in a nut-shell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭fluke

Wow spacecoyote, my knowledge of DA is brief but even I got 95% of your references.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That is a brilliant summation, spacecoyote.

Bravo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Maggie Smith is great, love her one liners

I'm seeing it on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭CassieManson

What did you think of the film? I was disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

What did you think of the film? I was disappointed.

I never watched the show, but having seen the film it made me was to build a time machine to go back in time to join the IRA.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It was exactly what I thought it would be. A hugely telegraphed plot which played out as expected. Some corking lines from Maggie Smith &
    a mostly happy ending.

Enjoyable fluff with beautiful costumes and scenery. No need for another one but I enjoyed it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I never watched the show, but having seen the film it made me was to build a time machine to go back in time to join the IRA.

You don't need a time machine ;)They haven't gone away you know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

pinkypinky wrote: »
    It was exactly what I thought it would be. A hugely telegraphed plot which played out as expected. Some corking lines from Maggie Smith &
    a mostly happy ending.

Enjoyable fluff with beautiful costumes and scenery. No need for another one but I enjoyed it.
    Same. Just an extended tv episode really.
    A couple of lol lines and agree re the costumes.

• I somehow don't think you'll need to do much of a crash course. Posh people upstairs, common people downstairs, Royal family coming for a visit. I imagine that about covers it.

Dowager Countess (Maggie Smith) - Sarcy old posh matriarch (generally entertaining)
    Robert (Hugh Bonneville) - Posh head of the house
    Cora - American wife of head of house. Generally over-acts & is very over-wrought
    Lady Mary - Posh eldest daughter. Every man that comes in to the show falls in love with her
    Henry - Posh guy, married to Mary, races cars
    Lady Edith - Posh middle daughter. Limp, wet rag
    Branson - Token Irishman, former mechanic, now part of the family, was married to youngest daughter, who is now dead
    Carson - Head Butler. Posh, dry, plays it straight, which usually results in humourous situations
    Ms Hughes - Head of the female servants, married to Carson
    Mr Bates - Man-servant, all round good guy (who may or may not have murdered at least 2 people in the past)
    Anna - Maid, married to Bates
    Ms Patmore - Generally flustered head cook
    Mr Barrow - Gay man-servant (used to be evil, not so much by the end)

Few others, but that probably covers the main characters in a nut-shell

A most brilliant summation of the characters! I take my hat off to you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Saw this yesterday. Mostly happy endings all round.
    Harmless enough.

My first choice (the Irish comedy horror 'Extra Ordinary' for a second viewing) wasn't on at the time I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Found it enjoyable :) Thanks to spacecoyote for the cheat sheet. I did end up watching 3 seasons (missed the S2 Christmas special so had to read the Wiki of it - was caught out when I went to S3 and immediately knew I'd missed something :D)

As said above, a long-form episode but some interesting story strands, call backs to previous episodes (that I have seen at least!), and good back and forth between Violet and Isobel.
    Some plotlines that they could explore with another movie if the demand/potential income was there

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I went with my mam and sister during the week and enjoyed this.
    It was gentle watching even the tense moments had no real risk feeling with them. It was just like an extended episode but I liked that.

I wasn't too impressed with Princes Mary's final stance but sure look its a historical character so not much can be really changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Some plotlines that they could explore with another movie if the demand/potential income was there
    Absolutely.
    It could go on to the Abdication and even up to the breakout of WW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Seen it this week-end - full disclosure: am a huge fan of the series and loved Gosford Park (2001) before that, and The Remains of the Day (1993) before that.

Great costumes and props (I mean: tiaras)
    and killer lines for Maggie Smith. All through the series and the movie, she got better lines that Bettie Davies ever got.

Personally I feel it is more suited to the TV medium though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I just finished a run through of the series(and loved it) and so sad the film. I really liked it. It felt exactly like the Christmas extended episode specials they did, but grander?
    Particularly happy for Toms happy ending. He had nothing to do story wise for a few seasons then became really vital to the family in the last two seasons. Great the way they gave him a good and earned happy ending.

Kinda wish they’d go back to making it on tv rather than films. But the door is open for a sequel to sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this tonight and really enjoyed it. And I have never seen even one episode of the TV show. Its a credit to the film makers that they could craft a movie so entertaining that even someone like me who knows absolutley nothing about these characters, could follow everything with no prior knowledge. Theres a goodness and innocence to the whole thing, I can really see why the show was so popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭tscul32

I saw it with a friend who loves downtown. I had never seen it. But I have now, every episode. Found it on Now Tv and absolutely loved it.

Advertisement