Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming After finishing Undeclared Work

Options
  • 10-12-2018 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I finished a job recently that I worked off the books and was getting paid in cash. I entered the company name when lodging the cash into my account.

I’m wondering what my position is when I go in for my appointment tomorrow. I won’t have a p45 to produce or any documentation from my previous job (I understand this impacts my prsi contributions etc but this is not my concern), and I don’t want to get my previous employer in any trouble or find myself in trouble by trying to claim now that I’m out of work. Im worried what they’ll say as my bank statements will indicate income for the last 3 months from the employer.

Can anyone offer any advice on this? It would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

bmarty12 wrote: »
    I finished a job recently that I worked off the books and was getting paid in cash. I entered the company name when lodging the cash into my account.

I’m wondering what my position is when I go in for my appointment tomorrow. I won’t have a p45 to produce or any documentation from my previous job (I understand this impacts my prsi contributions etc but this is not my concern), and I don’t want to get my previous employer in any trouble or find myself in trouble by trying to claim now that I’m out of work. Im worried what they’ll say as my bank statements will indicate income for the last 3 months from the employer.

When you’re asked when did you last work and who was your last employer (these questions are also on the Jobseekers application form) what did you intend to reply?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I finished a job recently that I worked off the books and was getting paid in cash .

First mistake
    I entered the company name when lodging the cash into my account.

Unbelievably dumb second mistake

Sign off the dole, look for a real job and don’t go near the social for at least a year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

They check bank statements so will definitely find out. Stay away and look for a job asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

So basically you illegally evaded tax for the past three months BUT paid the money into a bank account using the company name to make sure even a superficial investigation will find you and the company guilty of tax fraud??

My advice is come clean and enter into a repayment plan where they dock your dole to repay the tax you owe. If they find it themselves you'll be screwed (and rightly so). You broke the law. You avoided your moral obligation to contribute to society. Do the right thing and sort it out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Ah jasus the OP has to be a troll. I know it's Christmas and all that but this must be a wind up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

We had a taoiseach with no bank account, just tell them u don't have one and don't trust the banks.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    We had a taoiseach with no bank account, just tell them u don't have one and don't trust the banks.

That doesn’t answer the “where and for whom did you last work?” question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭bmc58

I really hope someone from Revenue is on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

Ask your employer to submit a p 35 to revenue and he will be able to give you a p45.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bmarty12

Yes I realize now how dumb putting that on the statement was obviously. I put it in for my own information without thinking.

touts wrote: »
    So basically you illegally evaded tax for the past three months BUT paid the money into a bank account using the company name to make sure even a superficial investigation will find you and the company guilty of tax fraud??

My advice is come clean and enter into a repayment plan where they dock your dole to repay the tax you owe. If they find it themselves you'll be screwed (and rightly so). You broke the law. You avoided your moral obligation to contribute to society. Do the right thing and sort it out now.

I wasn’t earning enough to pay any PAYE and I knew it was a temporary situation for work which is why I was fine with being off the books. Wasn’t seeking to make more money.

Not that this excuses my stupidity just explaining myself. I’ve never claimed before and wasn’t thinking ahead.

The company name is in the form of initials, i.e. it’s just three letters I’ve put on the lodgement. Would it be idiotic of me to try and say that it’s something else? I assume they’ll see it enetered multiple times as the main incoming and look it up..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Do you get the dole paid into a bank account?

Do you have a secondary bank account?

Lads, the OP clearly isn't a master criminal. Goodwill to all men etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Just say you didn't get a p45, say you were working for family, make something up, you'll be grand

Do you get the dole paid into a bank account?

Do you have a secondary bank account?

Lads, the OP clearly isn't a master criminal. Goodwill to all men etc.

No I’ve only one account. I haven’t received any dole yet, this will be my first time signing on.

No I’ve only one account. I haven’t received any dole yet, this will be my first time signing on.

If it were me I might be tempted to open up a new account and say it was my first bank account.

As for the other question I imagine you are very young and you looking for your first job is plausible.

I've never applied for social welfare so don't what is involved.

Once again OP the application form asks you when, where, for whom and for how long you last worked. How will you respond?

Just say you didn't get a p45, say you were working for family, make something up, you'll be grand

It was with family but I don’t see how that will help?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If it were me I might be tempted to open up a new account and say it was my first bank account.

Covering a lie with another lie does not end well if caught. Its not advice I'd be following

As for the other question I imagine you are very young and you looking for your first job is plausible.

I've never applied for social welfare so don't what is involved.

Jobseekers payment must be collected at the PO for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I've no real advice OP - just try and avoid the cash in hand jobs. You'll be glad of a decent PRSI record when you hit OAP age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

splinter65 wrote: »
    Once again OP the application form asks you when, where, for whom and for how long you last worked. How will you respond?

Put down the last "on the books" job, say your been traveling since and open a new back account. Don't be so stupid in the future

• Advertisement

The answer to this question is sort of my conundrum. I don't want to answer it in a way that is going to get my previous employer (or myself) in trouble. I don't know if that's is possible however given the position I've put myself in.
    Snotty wrote: »
    Put down the last "on the books" job, say your been traveling since and open a new back account. Don't be so stupid in the future

My last on the books job was over 12 months ago. I finished college in May so can't say I've been travelling.

Snotty wrote: »

If you say you’ve been traveling then you’ll have to complete a HRC form. Piling lies on lies. DEASP aren’t stupid.

The answer to this question is sort of my conundrum. I don't want to answer it in a way that is going to get my previous employer (or myself) in trouble. I don't know if that's is possible however given the position I've put myself in.

My last on the books job was over 12 months ago. I finished college in May so can't say I've been travelling.

The only thing you can do is tell the truth because if you try to defraud them you will get caught out one way or the other. Either that or just get a job.

The only thing you can do is tell the truth because if you try to defraud them you will get caught out one way or the other. Either that or just get a job.

How is he defrauding them. He wasn't claiming the dole while working. If he was he'd not be having this problem now.

If you say you’ve been traveling then you’ll have to complete a HRC form. Piling lies on lies. DEASP aren’t stupid.

This is my attitude. Can I move forward without lying or do I cancel my appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Was it a one lump sum payment into your account? And did you lodge cash in as you say you put the company Name in for reference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Get your employer to give you a P45.

From what you have written - worked for only 3 months in this calendar year - it's quite possible that you haven't incurred any PAYE or USC liability.

Furthermore, if you were earning less than €352 a week (were you?) then you wouldn't be liable for employee's PRSI. But your employer would be liable for
    employer's PRSI (8.6% or more) so he'd have to pay that to Revenue at year end. If he wants you to stump up all or part of that then you need to discuss that with him - immediately.

Priority for both of you is to get things sorted out by year end.

Car99 wrote: »
    Was it a one lump sum payment into your account? And did you lodge cash in as you say you put the company Name in for reference?

There were about 4 payments I think. Lodged individually. The company name is just 3 letters/initials. I think I may have put the full name (the full 3 letters) in only once and the other lodgements had just the first letter. But anyone looking over the whole statement would guess they are from the same place as they are the only significant incomings to my account and are close enough to each other in value

How is he defrauding them. He wasn't claiming the dole while working. If he was he'd not be having this problem now.

The application asks him when did he last work, for whom and for how long. If he doesn’t tell the truth then that is an attempt to defraud the dept.
    it’s obvious here that you don’t know anything about applying for a Jobseekers payment.

• Advertisement

This is my attitude. Can I move forward without lying or do I cancel my appointment?

It’s up to you. What I would say is, if you are going to go to the appointment then come clean because lying always backfires and gets you in a worse fix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement