Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best time to plant 4-5ft trees

• 07-12-2018 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi

Whats the best time of year to plant trees (4-5ft ornamental)- is it fall or spring? Is December too late?

Whats the best month in Spring?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭macraignil

Anytime between the start of October and end of March is fine. This is when deciduous trees have no leaves and are fairly dormant naturally and so can cope with their roots being disrupted better. Evergreen and potted trees can be planted all year round but longer days and less rain in the summer make the cooler months better for planting these as well, so as to reduce the stress on the plants as they settle in their new root space.
    I have read that some believe Autumn is better as the soil being warmer allows the roots settle in faster.
    December is not too late.
    The earlier they are in the ground before active growth starts in the Spring the better in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the best time would be tuesday. it's bleedin' baltic out today, but tuesday looks mild and sunny according to the forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

Hi

Whats the best time of year to plant trees (4-5ft ornamental)- is it fall or spring? Is December too late?

Whats the best month in Spring?

Thanks for that macraignil. and what about the frost? my lawn will be wet before the frost . . not ideal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭macraignil

Thanks for that macraignil. and what about the frost? my lawn will be wet before the frost . . not ideal!

No idea how your lawn is related to the tree planting from what you have said. Frost can be damaging to exposed roots but once they are buried properly in the ground frost should not be a problem. Just make sure there are no air pockets left when the trees are planted that might allow the frost to penetrate deeper into the root area of the young tree.

macraignil wrote: »
    No idea how your lawn is related to the tree planting from what you have said. Frost can be damaging to exposed roots but once they are buried properly in the ground frost should not be a problem. Just make sure their are no air pockets left when the trees are planted that might allow the frost to penetrate deeper into the root area of the young tree.

ok thanks. trees will be planted in the lawn

• Advertisement

so iv purchased 7 bare root 6ft high cherry blossoms.

any advice on planting? how deep, shud i put in fertiliser . . etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Plant so that the new soil level reaches the same mark as the old on the trunk. I wouldn't use fertiliser.

Use strong angled stakes to prevent wind rock, and mulch well.

Lumen wrote: »
    Plant so that the new soil level reaches the same mark as the old on the trunk. I wouldn't use fertiliser.

Use strong angled stakes to prevent wind rock, and mulch well.

Thanks for that. what do you mean by mulch? bark is it? do i need to put compost down with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thanks for that. what do you mean by mulch? bark is it? do i need to put compost down with it?

I use woodchips over waste cardboard.

This serves three purposes:

- insulates roots against frost
    - keeps soil moist in summer
    - controls competing weeds like grass

You don't want anything else growing close to the young tree, this has a big impact on growth rate through competition for water and nutrients.

Advertisement