Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where would you bring a group of Americans to show off Waterford?

• 16-11-2018 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

As part of a work function I may have to show a group of Americans around Waterford, take them to dinner, etc.. My manager suggested I take them to do or see things they wouldn't see in the states, such as castles. He then suggested combining Waterford Castle for dinner and the history, but this may be too expensive.

I'm only new to Waterford, so I'm not sure what would be the best way to show off the city and county to these american business folk - any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

As part of a work function I may have to show a group of Americans around Waterford, take them to dinner, etc.. My manager suggested I take them to do or see things they wouldn't see in the states, such as castles. He then suggested combining Waterford Castle for dinner and the history, but this may be too expensive.

I'm only new to Waterford, so I'm not sure what would be the best way to show off the city and county to these american business folk - any recommendations?

Wexford, Cork, and Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotfoodforphil

Wexford, Cork, and Kerry.
    Thanks for the reply, but it has to be based in or around Waterford City - something you could in the evening after work, or a half day.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

The Viking Triangle, and Waterford Crystal Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭dzilla

Kilkenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Waterford Museum of Treasures & Reginald's Tower

• Advertisement

dzilla wrote: »
    Kilkenny

Again, it's a nice spot with great food but it's too far. And I know that's saying something, given it's only about 30 - 40 mins away

BuboBubo wrote: »
    The Viking Triangle, and Waterford Crystal Tour.
    Waterford Museum of Treasures & Reginald's Tower

Thanks for the ideas, will look into them more!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Thanks for the ideas, will look into them more!

These are all very close to each other, easy to do it all on foot.

Again, it's a nice spot with great food but it's too far. And I know that's saying something, given it's only about 30 - 40 mins away

If they are American they might like McDonald's there's two of them in town one near the Travelodge and one in the city. There's also a KFC in ardkeen I believe they are popular with them too. Best of luck I hope they enjoy.

Also all on one level so no stairs to contend with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Take them out to the driving range in Waterford Castle, in for dinner and drinks in the clubhouse afterwards. Informal and formal-ish at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Mt. Congreve and a trip to Lismore Castle taking the coast road home if it's still bright!
    Maybe a round of golf while in Lismore. Beautiful course!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

I did that very task a few times in a previous job.

Start with glass factory tour and reginalds tower.

Then I used to bring them to Dunhill and up to the castle, tell a bull**** story about ships landing on the beach and attacking the castle. Into harneys for a pint.

Coast road over to the metalman, tell the story of him.

I took them to rockets for pigs toes and ribs. They are closed now unfortunately. Maybe raglan road might do some Irishy food.

On to dunmore and into powers bar for whiskey, then back to town into Downes for more whiskey.

They loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

A pub with trad music usually does the trick! Other posters may have ideas.

A wander down around the Mall, Cathedral Square, Bailey's New St (the big sword) and the Apple Market would be nice. You can't beat Geoff's IMO.

Depending on their tastes, a visit to the Medieval Museum, Reginald's Tower and/or Bishop's Palace might tick the boxes. The Viking Experience (or whatever it's called) is supposed to be very good.

Winterval is starting on Saturday, so you could look at the programme. You could show them a selection of the Waterford Walls street art too - "grungier"parts of town mainly!

Outside the city, Dunmore is gorgeous, as is the drive between Stradbally and Tramore. Mount Congreve too, if it's open.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Just start at Waterford Crystal on The Mall and do the rest as Fricatus says. Bishop's Palace, Medieval Museum, Christ Church, Reginald's Tower, Bailey's New Street with big sword Cathedral Square etc. The Viking experience (VR) is stunning, I did it with friends and family last week. Takes a whole day to do an dis enough for anyone trying to get a glimpse. Geoff's, La Atmosphere, Bodega, Davy Macs afterwards. Its as good as any city tour anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

+1 on the Viking Experience. I brought a group and they thought it was amazing (one person brought their family subsequently). Momo is great too and Maher's or Tully's.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

I'm not sure whether you need to keep it city based but if you're driving anywhere out the county a spin back to the city via the Comeraghs is worth it. You can drive right up into the mountains. If you have time to stop off and the weather's nice you could park up and take the short walk to Mahon Falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Pub wise, I would bring them to Tully's. It's a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Take them out to the driving range in Waterford Castle, in for dinner and drinks in the clubhouse afterwards. Informal and formal-ish at the same time.

You might do that with one of your buddies, but not corporate clients.

I would stick to the Museum of Treasures, Waterford Crystal, Reginald's Tower and that Viking Triangle area.

If you go near the Applemarket you've got to bring them near John Street and/or Michael Street which is pretty grotty.

The Munster Bar or the Reg would be grand for a pint. Maybe somewhere like Everett's for food, but I think the grub in the Munster is supposed to be decent. You've several restaurant options there anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Deiseen

hardybuck wrote: »
    I would stick to the Museum of Treasures, Waterford Crystal, Reginald's Tower and that Viking Triangle area.

If you go near the Applemarket you've got to bring them near John Street and/or Michael Street which is pretty grotty.

The Munster Bar or the Reg would be grand for a pint. Maybe somewhere like Everett's for food, but I think the grub in the Munster is supposed to be decent. You've several restaurant options there anyway.

Its grotty at 2 in the morning. It's quiet nice if they go there at a decent hour.

Deiseen wrote: »
    Its grotty at 2 in the morning. It's quiet nice if they go there at a decent hour.

It's quite run down and has been for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

If you are not limited to the city centre, it would be well worth bringing them out to country pubs like Kirwans in Kill or The Holy Cross on the Cork Road, away from the bustle of touristy prices and vibes, to give them a flavour of very tasty food and warm service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

dzilla wrote: »
    Kilkenny

So they can see how life was like 200 years ago? Good idea! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Depending on what part of the states they are from they may not have beaches or mountains near them and if that’s the case bring them to one of those options.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The dunbrody boat is nearly in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Passage East car ferry across and visit Hook lighthouse/Lotus Hall and Tintern Abbey. Americans love this.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭zzdp

Dunmore , dinner and few drinks in the strand or azzurro ? Waterford castle for a drink and on to jack meads for dinner?Mcalpines checkpoint for dinner ,walk in woodstown and drink in Saratoga before dinner?If early enough mahon falls walk followed by dinner in any of the above or dinner in copper hen fennor.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭zzdp

Dunmore , dinner and few drinks in the strand or azzurro ? Waterford castle for a drink and on to jack meads for dinner?Mcalpines checkpoint for dinner ,walk in woodstown and drink in Saratoga before dinner?If early enough mahon falls walk followed by dinner in any of the above or dinner in copper hen fennor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I’d also suggest sticking with the Viking Triangle. Americans love Waterford Crystal, Reginald’s Tower might hit the spot for something more unusual and King of the Vikings is definitely a must. It’s btilliant and very unusual. Only takes about 20 minutes but anyone I know who’s been is amazed by it.
    Dinner then in Bodega or Emiliano’s, or La Boheme if you are looking for fancier.

Advertisement