Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi or Lidl

Options
  • 10-11-2018 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

This has probably been discussed several times before.. a new aldi has opened up near me. I pay roughly 400 euros per month on food. Shop in tesco online which is so convenient. Do people prefer lidl or aldi for quality & which is cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

tamara25 wrote: »
    This has probably been discussed several times before.. a new aldi has opened up near me. I pay roughly 400 euros per month on food. Shop in tesco online which is so convenient. Do people prefer lidl or aldi for quality & which is cheaper?

€100 per week. For how many?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tamara25

Fann Linn wrote: »
    €100 per week. For how many?
    2 adults & 3 kids. Grandparents mind the 2 younger ones during week after school so that cuts down a bit on food shopping.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,070 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Aldi for me. Not just because it's closer to my house than the other, but also cheaper than Lidl. I go to Tesco for the things I don't like that Aldi sells, shower gel, shampoo, bread. It's a personal thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I don't remember how different they are back home but over here most of the Aldi shops have had a facelift and are actually nice places to be these days whereas Lidl shops still have a warehouse feel to them. Right now the only things we go to Lidl for are the doughnuts. The in-store bakery is excellent and it's right beside the little 'uns swimming pool. Our normal grocery shop is done in Aldi and I'd say it comes to about £200 per month for 2 adults and a toddler - that's after some notable price rises in the last year

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lidl have more brands and better specials, Aldi generally have higher quality own brand products. Primarily use Lidl as the local Aldi is mostly staffed by the nastiest people I've ever met and the next nearest (where the staff are basically the polar opposite) has hideous traffic problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

There isnt much of a much between the two but Lidl does have its own instore bakery. We consult the weekly specials to make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tamara25

Cheers everyone! I will defo do a big shop in aldi in a few days.

My girlfriend likes M&S and but I prefer S&M.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Yeah, it depends on the branch. The newer Lidls are excellent & I always find their fresh fruit and vegetables are much better than Aldi. Like others have said, Aldi is generally better for own brand products. I go through phases of shopping in both, currently in Lidl phase!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Prefer lidl even has better fruit and veg..aldi would be a second for me .. but unless you have money to throw away tesco ..super value etc are way overpriced..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Lidl is more up and down and sometimes better. Half the shop will be Greek one week and Spanish the next. Aldi is steadier and doesn't tend to change as much for regular shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

tamara25 wrote: »

Actually I found Dunnes cheaper and better quality veg. If you're spending 100 every week you'd be getting €20 off each time with Dunnes. If your used to the offers and have a big enough storage you can get bulk buy offers some essentials like meat (3 for 10) milk, bread, passata, cheese, toilet paper
    I find the milk tastes a bit funny in Lidl and Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

My girlfriend likes M&S and but I prefer S&M.

M&Ms are way better.

amcalester wrote: »
    M&Ms are way better.

you clearly have never appreciated a good guitar strap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Be grateful Folks. Here in Newbridge we don't have a bloody choice, Aldi been supposedly opening here for years...but still nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

Aldi. Higher quality produce in many categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Aldi for me. Close by too.

Lidl also nearby has self checkouts and just one till open at a time. If they bother. I fkn hate self check outs. So guess where I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Oh and just another thing that applies to ALL self checkouts, they seem to have more personnel there sorting things than on the tills.

Rant Rant.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If Aldi have been ignoring self checkouts so far, expect them to come in on it - if they are reducing costs for competitors they can't not do it. Three staff helping with issues on self checkouts might have the sales throughput of six on staff-scan checkouts.

My local Lidl has had a checkout upgrade this week but no self-checkouts as yet. It is one of the patched up older format stores (actually an extremely early store in the entire country) that has all the additions but not the less 80s floor tiles, more windows etc etc yet - I suspect because it makes too much money, and is too far from another store, to close for a few weeks to do the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Spanish Eyes, That's not a rant. You are speaking logically and sensibly. A rant is where someone goes on a nonsensical tirade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Tesco and supervalu here.
    Aldi for toilet rolls hand soap and bottles of flavoured water. Thats about it.
    Way too annoying when they stop a particular product and dont seem to replace it. Hate that pile of tat they call bargains could do with being dumped and focus on food and household items properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Aldi for me. Don't find Lidl particularly good value - gone very brand orientated however they really win out on the bakery section.

Cleaning stuff , dry goods, booze , frozen food and toiletries from Aldi. All fresh food and meats from Dunnes, the quality is consistently excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Here's a price survey from 6 months ago carried out on behalf of Aldi:

https://www.newstalk.com/Price-survey-reveals-Irelands-best-value-supermarket

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

70% Aldi
    20% Lidl
    10% Dunnes. Purely because it's at the end of the road and I can run in on the way home for top ups of milk/bread etc.

I prefer most of the stuff in Aldi, but the bakery in Lidl is nice. There's times in my local lidl that they might not have something in stock for weeks (tortilla wraps were out of stock for ages until recently) and I find all lidls "deluxe" range of prepared foods far too salty. But they match on a lot of stuff.

Here's a price survey from 6 months ago carried out on behalf of Aldi:

https://www.newstalk.com/Price-survey-reveals-Irelands-best-value-supermarket

"Dunnes Stores in Cork sold Vintage White Cheddar for €4.99".... IS that Dunnes own brand, their select brand, or the company brands like Clonakilty, Cracker Barrell, Dubliner, Kilmedan.. what weight, is it price per KG?????

They also refused to release the full data... "Despite requesting the data that the survey is based on and the dates that the research took place on from Grant Thornton this morning, we have not received a response as yet. For instance the press release mentions a price of Cherry Tomatoes 500g that were sold in SuperValu for €4.98. In fact we have a 500g Cherry Tomato comparison product at €1.58. For this reason we would question the validity of the comparisons used."

So it was commissioned by Aldi and it found out that Aldi was the best. Well fancy that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Lidl for me. I find their fruit and veg far better but the main reason I go is in my area there's just far more Lidls nearby than Aldis and also they are in far handier locations for parking and getting too.

I usually buy fruit and veg, non perishable stuff and non food items in Lidl. I prefer to buy stuff like meat, dairy and luxury goods in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rock22

"Dunnes Stores in Cork sold Vintage White Cheddar for €4.99".... IS that Dunnes own brand, their select brand, or the company brands like Clonakilty, Cracker Barrell, Dubliner, Kilmedan.. what weight, is it price per KG?????

They also refused to release the full data... "Despite requesting the data that the survey is based on and the dates that the research took place on from Grant Thornton this morning, we have not received a response as yet. For instance the press release mentions a price of Cherry Tomatoes 500g that were sold in SuperValu for €4.98. In fact we have a 500g Cherry Tomato comparison product at €1.58. For this reason we would question the validity of the comparisons used."

So it was commissioned by Aldi and it found out that Aldi was the best. Well fancy that :pac:

You talk of "we" . Are you involved with one of the supermarkets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

rock22 wrote: »

It's in quotes so I presume they're quoting someone that is involved.

rock22 wrote: »

I'm quoting from the link that was provided.

The data wasn't provided in the article.
    So Aldi commissioned the survey.
    The company was told when to do it.
    What products to select.
    Own brand or company brand.... who knows!
    Ingredients not mentioned either, for example a lot of the cheaper jams (surveyed) have glucose fructose syrup as the main ingredient to make it cheaper, whereas others usually dearer have natural fruits first.

Apples and oranges etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Aldi for me but Lidl is a close second. Im not one who goes for branded products so avoid Dunnes & Supervalue which are full of them and have expensive prices. Use Tesco the odd time too but mainly Aldi & Lidl. Also prefer them as the checkouts are so much quicker than the other supermarkets, shoppers in Aldi/Lidl are mainly on the ball when it comes to getting through the checkouts quickly. In Supervalue you can get held up because the customer in front is having a natter about the weather or local gossip to the checkout staff which can be a headwrecker when you just want to get in and out.

Advertisement