Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A-ha play 3Arena 29th Oct 2019

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

Echo what others have said. Pretty good show in the 3, but Morten was all night distracted by the mikes in his ears, this can in turn be a bit offputting for the audience. Also was hoping for Manhatten Skyline, but Stay On These Roads was my highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Because Digital River was posted on You Tube from the Dublin show, I was able to re-listen to it a few times prior to Belfast, and that added familiarity really helped. It's a great song. Delighted I did the two shows.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭jasonb

This isn't about the gig but I thought it might be a good place to ask...

At the end of the last verse in Scoundrel Days, the lyrics are

'But I know that I've made it, as I run into the air'

Then, just before the chorus starts, it sounds like something else is sung. I know Morten liked making little noises etc. in some songs, but it does sound like words to me. Anyone else notice this, and what do you think he's singing? I've always thought it was a particular sentence, but I won't say it in case that makes someone listen out for those words in particular.

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

'Oh no, you're here!'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Because Digital River was posted on You Tube from the Dublin show, I was able to re-listen to it a few times prior to Belfast, and that added familiarity really helped. It's a great song. Delighted I did the two shows.

Very good song ,it seems its a song from the Cast In Steel sessions in 2015 that didn’t make it onto the album.
    Was there a good crowd in Belfast ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭jasonb

'Oh no, you're here!'

Yes! Although I've always heard it as 'Oh no, you're there'. No mention of it in the lyrics etc., and it completely changes the end of the story of the song. Glad to know I wasn't imagining all these years. Never heard him sing that line in any live versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Zardoz wrote: »
    Very good song ,it seems its a song from the Cast In Steel sessions in 2015 that didn’t make it onto the album.
    Was there a good crowd in Belfast ?

It wasn't totally full, but I love the fact that they couldn't even fill the Point in 2002, and they come back seventeen years later to a sold out 3Arena and very respectable SSE crowd.
    The flat seats at the back of the ground floor were sparsely populated, but that's because they're the worst seats in the place. The tiered seats were all full. They posted a shot of Magne leading the audience participation of The Living Daylights online (Instagram and Facebook) and it gives a really good view of the crowd.
    The atmosphere was probably better in Dublin, because people stood up at the outset and remained standing, whereas the SSE security were very fussy about people staying in their seats. Apparently, people were Tweeting at the interval about how ridiculous this was. There's also a photo online of a woman reaching up to Morten and there are effectively three security guards trying to contain her. They're not being heavy handed, but it just looks a little bit excessive. So near and yet so far.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Nice post on the A-ha website about Dublins concert

https://a-ha.com/past-tours/hunting-high-and-low-live/3arena/29/10/2019
    It had been a long time coming, in a number of ways. First of all, it had been 17 years since our last visit. Secondly, the show had been sold out for a year, so we knew we had some patient, but eager, people waiting. Thirdly, the HHAL world tour was finally kicking off, after 18 months of rehearsals, design and preparation and it was becoming urgent to show you what we had been working on. As usual there had been some twists and turns along the way, but it still seemed possible to land on our feet. We usually do, even though it may not always look like it!

Had a taste of Ireland for the first time for too long last year in Cork, and it was a massive experience. But I guess that is what you get if you put 5000 people in a tent on an electric summer night in Roy Keane’s hometown. This time around, 3 Arena was waiting for us. An incredibly cool room for its size (not all of the big ones are), filled to the hilt. Starting the show with Mike Patterson’s brilliant short film «Commuter» is like putting the audience in pressure cooker, but it pays off when you can blow the lid off it with Take On Me.

Famous Dubliner and true genius Oscar Wilde once said that youth is wasted on the young.

A statue right next to the hotel of another genius that left us way too early, Mr. Phil Lynnot, is another reminder to appreciate what you have, and take nothing for granted. And the reception from that beautiful crowd in a red hot arena by the river underlined the point. Thank you, Dublin! See you in a lot less than 17 years!

Advertisement