Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grand slam of darts 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You'd be surprised what durrant could achieve if he played full time. Hes already regularly average 100+ while still delivering letters 8 hours a day. Look at suljovic, if you told us a few years ago he'd be top 8 you'd have been ridiculed

Agreed, doesn’t he work full time as a housing officer for a council as well?

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Yep but I think it’s a pity though Durrant would put up a decent show on behalf of the BDO.

Who do you fancy to win it?

I like the look of Anderson.

TbL

It's hard to pick these days with so many players capable but I fancy wade.

Agreed, doesn’t he work full time as a housing officer for a council as well?

TbL

Maybe that's his job I thought postman, either way he doesn't practice everyday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

The BDO jobbers are utter rubbish.

Every year its the same thing, we are told that that the like of durrant is a great player because he won the Bob Potter Cup in a tun down hotel.

Newsflash, someone has to win it.
    It dont mean the winner is quality.
    Last night the BDO #1, #2. #3 and #4 were all sent packing, unable to get out of their groups.

Josh Payne beat the bdo #3...Josh is 52nd in the PDC
    Gilding beat the BDO #2 and reigning Lake****e champion...gilding is ranked 62nd in the PDC.

Durrant has zero bottle, choked against Price, Choked against gilding., choked in the master against smith Neale, and only won Lake****e cos McGeeney choked even more when he missed match darts.

The BDO offer nothing to the Grand Slam, if they want to play PDC let them join Q-school, and not sure most would pass that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

You'd be surprised what durrant could achieve if he played full time. Hes already regularly average 100+ while still delivering letters 8 hours a day. Look at suljovic, if you told us a few years ago he'd be top 8 you'd have been ridiculed

you could say that about any player really
    he seams to bottle it at times , has admitted as much himself
    if you do that in any sport your in trouble
    look at who he lost to in final of winmau

he works in real estate and has a very good wage which is why he hasnt gone pro yet

edit just seen jc post now lol

• Advertisement

Every year its the same thing, we are told that that the like of durrant is a great player because he won the Bob Potter Cup in a tun down hotel.

Last night the BDO #1, #2. #3 and #4 were all sent packing, unable to get out of their groups.

Gilding beat the BDO #2 and reigning Lake****e champion...gilding is ranked 62nd in the PDC.

Durrant has zero bottle, choked against Price, Choked against gilding., choked in the master against smith Neale, and only won Lake****e cos McGeeney choked even more when he missed match darts.

The BDO offer nothing to the Grand Slam, if they want to play PDC let them join Q-school, and not sure most would pass that.

when hankey was in his prime , waites , adams , oshea , even the year fordham somehow won a game , they all brought something to the event that people wanted to see , the year hankey beat whitlock every one of his games was great drama to watch with his antics.
    none of the 8 this year bar durrant , does anybody want to see
    this was a great event but since it left itv and the standard of bdo players dropped so much its just another event

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

well the current crop of up & coming young BDO players just look to move on to the PDC qualifing school as soon as possible , menzes ,noppart etc its only players that want to be a medium sized fish in a puddle that stay . they are really struggling with TV deals and opened up the BDO worlds to PDC players that wanted to enter buy Barry Hearn said they are PDC contracted players and can't actually play in the event

bdo players are now allowed play in pdc events

Didn’t Waites win it and get to the final another year?

I think your post is too much of a generalization, obviously the BDO standard is behind the PDC (they aren’t full time professionals)

I actually enjoy seeing the BDO guys in it as I think it gives the tournament a different dimension and there’s always the possibility of an upset.

As for choking I think Durrant would improve this part of his game immensely if he was exposed to the pdc week in week out.

Anyway, great tournament for me and hopefully the excitement/quality will continue

TbL

he won it 8 years ago , to be fair james wade threw it away more so
    that was when as i said above the bdo lads who got it were good players
    who the hell wants to watch mark mcgeeney ? hes bdo number 1 - let that sink in

• Advertisement

sc86 wrote: »

I want to watch the BDO players occasionally try and mix it with the PDC guys.

McGeeney was very poor last night but they’ve done well enough for part timers

I enjoy tournament darts, if you want to watch the top players in glorified exhibitions the Premier Leagues your man.

I assume you’ll be watching the early rounds of the World Chsmpionships, or maybe the lower ranked PDC guys don’t merit a viewing either?

TbL

bdo players are now allowed play in pdc events

Yeah I know , BDO opened up their world championship to PDC players

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I would like Durrant to have got through. However Goldfinger threw really well and finished well bar the last few legs. It was over a very short format and if I'm not mistaken Gilding beat Ando best of 19 legs a few years ago.

To be fair to the Wizard he was hammered 5 1 in opening match and bounced back well especially those to 170 checkouts in last match. So he did deserve his place in next round I suppose.

I have no doubt if Duzza went to PDC within a short period he'd be top 5.

Indeed.
    He is the BDO #1 and he averaged in the 70s in his first match...no thats not a typo...yes 70s.

In his first leg in the comp he was sat on 49 for the leg his opponent cross was on 400 and McGeeney still lost the leg.
    He lost the Lakesh1te final because he had even less bottle that Durrant.

This notion that because someone wins Lakesh1te they are good is a myth.
    Someone has to win the special olympics....dont mean they are not "special"

Maybe that's his job I thought postman, either way he doesn't practice everyday.

hahahahaha

so you just basically admitted that a player who does not practice can win Lakeside twice.

If that does not prove my point I don't know what does.

I want to watch the BDO players occasionally try and mix it with the PDC guys.

McGeeney was very poor last night but they’ve done well enough for part timers

I enjoy tournament darts, if you want to watch the top players in glorified exhibitions the Premier Leagues your man.

I assume you’ll be watching the early rounds of the World Chsmpionships, or maybe the lower ranked PDC guys don’t merit a viewing either?

TbL

your missing my point
    the best days of the grand slam was when the likes of adams / waites etc were in it , i loved the bdo - pdc games - something different than whats on the other 51 weeks of the year

i would prefer to see adams and waites play this year to the guys sent by the bdo , but sadly they didnt do enough to get in
    i also would have prefered to see duzza still be in it and play the big boys , but he couldnt even get out of the group

i watch lakeside , even if standard is poor , i still enjoy it
    im not anti bdo at all
    just sometimes you have to call a spade a spade

Don't start feeding that clown lads. A sick individual and a wanted man.

whos that?

whos that?

Justin Credible. A professional troll and a sick twisted man.

why is he sick? i read his blogs , generally funny

• Advertisement

why is he sick? i read his blogs , generally funny

Bringing the Special Olympics into a darts thread is a bit peculiar tbh.

TbL

Mocking disabled down syndromechildren . Going after players children. Abusing players. A professional troll. His address has been shared around online. A matter of time before someone's at his door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd love Wadey to win the Worlds

Justin Credible. A professional troll and a sick twisted man.

you are the one name calling yet somehow I am the troll.

did my facts upset you ?

Mocking disabled down syndromechildren . Going after players children. Abusing players. A professional troll. His address has been shared around online. A matter of time before someone's at his door

I have never mocked anyones children

Wade tournament average over 100 and 60% on checkouts still massive price for the world championship and for this tournament even I believe

One gets through :)

Ian White out, his doubles were truly shocking!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I'm delighted Michael got through. Hope they give him an interview. Seems like a nice unassuming lad.

• Advertisement

PDC player with the biggest bottle job ever, BDO player calm an composed.

Advertisement