Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Obscure tools found on the farm

• 02-11-2018 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭ SmartinMartin

Hey folks,
    Since the old uncle died a few years back I've been slowly going through the farm, cleaning out outbuildings and the like. Often I'd come across some article that I'd have no idea what it was for, and not being from a farming background and learning on the fly I'd ask a neighbour and usually they would know, but the odd older piece would puzzle all of us, so I decided to start this thread in the hope that people will post up photos of pieces found over the years and hopefully wise old heads on here will identify them. I'll start the ball rolling with 2 found today :

20181102-211341.jpg

20181102-211419.jpg

Looking forward to this, if it hasn't already been done!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭ tabby aspreme

That's a saw setting tool in the second picture, used to set the width of the teeth on a handsaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭ Markcheese

Not a clue, but I'd be interested to see what's suggested..
    Any chance you could put something next to them in the photo for size comparison.?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭ Nekarsulm

Second photo a device for checking sheet metal thickness?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭ patsy_mccabe

Ya, here's one here;
    https://www.tooltique.co.uk/shop/old-antique-saw-wrest-or-set/

I thought it might be a device for measuring the gauge /diameter of wire.

Is the first one a hoe for weeding?

" And on the riverbank forgotten the river's name."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ Kevin Finnerty

Ya, here's one here;
    https://www.tooltique.co.uk/shop/old-antique-saw-wrest-or-set/

Is the first one a hoe for weeding?

I'd have said it was an edging tool for a lawn or the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭ SmartinMartin

That's a saw setting tool in the second picture, used to set the width of the teeth on a handsaw.
    Fantastic, didn't expect an answer so fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭ blackbox

The first one looks like it may be something for working with leather.

The second is definitely a saw set. Have used one myself.

I'd have said it was an edging tool for a lawn or the like.

He was a bachelor farmer in his 90s with no gra for house or garden. This came off his work bench, where only valuable tools were used/adapted/invented. It's safe enough to say it's not a lawn edging tool. Photo with teaspoon for clarification. It's quite sharp on the outer edge, even in a rusted condition.

20181102-215247.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭ pg633

Is it possible he made it himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,259 ✭✭✭✭ Donald Trump

blackbox wrote: »
    The first one looks like it may be something for working with leather.

I'd say leather is a good guess. Or even for something like skinning an animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭ JJayoo

It's a spoon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,259 ✭✭✭✭ Donald Trump

JJayoo wrote: »
    It's a spoon

I wouldn't stir me tea with it.

pg633 wrote: »
    Is it possible he made it himself?

Possibly, but while he was brilliant with his hands I think that looks manufactured. It is possible he picked it up somewhere and had an idea to adapt it for something else.

Id go the leather suggestion too. That rivet looks too proud to go skinning, a sheep maybe?

Now THAT sound plausible. Something to do with tanning maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭ patsy_mccabe

Leather working/cutting tool?????

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/171973608935

" And on the riverbank forgotten the river's name."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭ orm0nd

second one is for setting a saw as said

first ?? any connection with a shop ?

looks like a small tobacco cutter

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/claremuseum/acquisitions/tobacco_cutter.htm

Very close, but that looks curved. I'm thinking now it's to do with hides. Scraper/cutter? Anyway, looking forward to other photos now.

Great find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭ Say my name

Great find.

If only I still lived on the farm I'd post something up! My 78 year old father would have a fit if I went taking photos of his tool shed. And he has real old stuff in there!

If only I still lived on the farm I'd post something up! My 78 year old father would have a fit if I went taking photos of his tool shed. And he has real old stuff in there!

There must be loads of old obscure outdated pieces lying about in outbuildings all over the country. It'd be nice if this thread would turn up a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ Farmer Dan

Hey folks,
    Since the old uncle died a few years back I've been slowly going through the farm, cleaning out outbuildings and the like. Often I'd come across some article that I'd have no idea what it was for, and not being from a farming background and learning on the fly I'd ask a neighbour and usually they would know, but the odd older piece would puzzle all of us, so I decided to start this thread in the hope that people will post up photos of pieces found over the years and hopefully wise old heads on here will identify them. I'll start the ball rolling with 2 found today :

20181102-211341.jpg

20181102-211419.jpg

Looking forward to this, if it hasn't already been done!

The first one is for cutting a line in leather that the stitching would be flush with the leather.
    Sort of hidden stitching.

Ok, found one today that has me completely stumped. I cleaned it up a bit and it's solid brass. Lovely little piece really.

20181114-000216.jpg

20181114-000625.jpg

20181113-235852.jpg

20181113-235905.jpg

20181114-000448.jpg

It's 6 1/2" long. The arms are 3 1/2". The inside of the shaft is threaded, most likely for a handle. Only one of the arms pivots, the other is solid. The flat plates at the head of the arms are deeply chequered on the inside. It looks like it's designed for gripping something. Any ideas?

The piece at the end of the moving arm also swivels (photo 4). I'm pretty sure now it's a tongs, but I'd say it's one with a specific purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭ 148multi

Ok, found one today that has me completely stumped. I cleaned it up a bit and it's solid brass. Lovely little piece really.

20181114-000216.jpg

20181114-000625.jpg

20181113-235852.jpg

20181113-235905.jpg

20181114-000448.jpg

It's 6 1/2" long. The arms are 3 1/2". The inside of the shaft is threaded, most likely for a handle. Only one of the arms pivots, the other is solid. The flat plates at the head of the arms are deeply chequered on the inside. It looks like it's designed for gripping something. Any ideas?

Would it be for lighting a pipe with a coal, seen plenty of old lads doing it with a full size tongs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭ tricky D

The criss-crossing looks like it is for heat/oxygen supply 'management'.

//Fascinating thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭ Hoboo

20181114-000216.jpg

20181114-000625.jpg

20181113-235852.jpg

20181113-235905.jpg

20181114-000448.jpg

Ive a dent on each side of my head from when I was born. Would love to see if this thing matched up.

Advertisement