Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fallout 76

Options
  • 30-10-2018 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know when the BETA actually starts? I put it at 11pm GMT but the count down seems to suggest 9PM GMT and some websites have it at 3AM on the 31st?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

LOL 46GB folder just deleted itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

LOL 46GB folder just deleted itself.

Yep. Widely reported. Really bad bug. beta extended to fix problems.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Got in, in the end - not overly impressed but I'll stick with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The latest issue is that events are tied to your frame rate, so higher frame rate means faster actions and in turn speed hacks have appeared. This seems fairly worryingly like Bethesda are out of their depth with an MMO.

Hate to say it, but I think this needs a lot of work. This could be going to the wasteland and staying there.

• Advertisement

Just cancelled my preorder - I'd rather play one of the older games or mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Just cancelled my preorder - I'd rather play one of the older games or mods.

New California is out for Vegas (last week) its pretty good so far.

dreamers75 wrote: »

It has amazing detail

The lack of NPCs is just too weird. (in F76)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Started playing this over the weekend. It's not perfect, but it's bloody good considering it's a free mod. The story seems fairly complex, and it's tough going. Really enjoying it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Fallout 76 launching at midnight here - anyone planning on playing?

I will be, but maybe not for a few days, as I've a lot on at the moment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's already live. Started a few hours ago apparently. Not interested myself, as it's missing pretty much everything that makes a Fallout game good imo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Oh, is it live? I might see who's streaming it and what sorta shape it's in. I won't be playing it any time soon, sounds like it's a hot mess of bugs, so it might be worth waiting a year till they fix it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i was on the fence decided to give it a pass, just looks like the most monotonous parts of fallout 4 ie picking up every bit of crap you can see and shooting ghouls and reading terminals made into one game..

Lone Stone wrote: »
    i was on the fence decided to give it a pass, just looks like the most monotonous parts of fallout 4 ie picking up every bit of crap you can see and shooting ghouls and reading terminals made into one game..

That's exactly what it is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm going to pass too. Nothing I've seen inspires confidence, and there's only cause for concern. The engine is outdated and grossly inappropriate for an MMO, there's no content or story, you're just grinding for the privilege of messing around in the build interface, and only to have that smashed randomly by another players nuke. This will appear in Humble Bundles in about 6 months time, if not sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

What the f are bethesda at these days? No word of a new elder scrolls and this can't have taken long to make. We need a new engine and it needs to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

MadYaker wrote: »
    What the f are bethesda at these days? No word of a new elder scrolls and this can't have taken long to make. We need a new engine and it needs to be good.

Announced back in June, nothing much or at all, since then though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

MadYaker wrote: »

actually i was watching or reading some thing the other day i forget which, todd howard basically suggested they are actually using the same engine for star field and es6 ah it was yong yeaahhhh on youtube or what ever his name is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Lone Stone wrote: »
    actually i was watching or reading some thing the other day i forget which, todd howard basically suggested they are actually using the same engine for star field and es6 ah it was yong yeaahhhh on youtube or what ever his name is.

Epic are basicially using the same Unreal engine from the late 90s, ID are basically using the same Quake engine from the same year, DICE are basicially using the same Frostbite engine from early 00s..........

I wouldnt read into spamtastic ****e or reddit ****e without having an inkling of what it means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Epic are basicially using the same Unreal engine from the late 90s, ID are basically using the same Quake engine from the same year, DICE are basicially using the same Frostbite engine from early 00s..........

I wouldnt read into spamtastic ****e or reddit ****e without having an inkling of what it means.

To a certain extent I agree but to quote some reddit ****e (https://www.reddit.com/r/ElderScrolls/comments/4os0fj/clearing_misconceptions_on_netimmerse_gamebryo/):

"NetImmerse (Morrowind) and Gamebryo (Oblivion/Fallout 3 & NV) and the Creation Engine (Skyrim/Fallout 4) are as different as they are similar, and it is indeed very justifiable to call them different engines. The only things that remain are a few vestigial bones. The IP that Bethesda originally licensed has been gradually replaced, piece-by-piece, until it's now its own animal, but many of the bones are showing their age. Some of those bones could be replaced perhaps, but at a considerable effort. There is a point when software just needs a clean-slate rewrite before it becomes too unweildly and burdened by legacy code to function efficiently or predictably."

What I saw of FO76 from E3 looked soulless gave me no confidence that it would hold any interest for me and that certainly hasn't changed. They've made gameplay choices that just don't suit the current engine/framework given that what they'd iterated up to that point was for a single player experience. I mean just pick VATS as one example, it was a core feature of Fallout, but wtf's the point if it's in realtime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I got it for Xbox One X because friends are playing it that way and the game was obviously built to be a social experience.....overall, game isn't terrible, really not as bad as I expected and pretty engaging so far, can't see myself putting 100s of hours into it or anything like 'proper' FO titles, but could easily waste away 50-60 anyway I'd say, which isn't bad value.

Framerate is utter trash on the consoles though (avg about 25-30 and regularly drops to about 15-20 when a lot is going on), would really rather be playing it on PC. I don't know how people actually put up with Fallout on console, I've no problem with locked 30fps, but frequent drops to 15fps is a joke for any FPS title.

It was the same for FO4.

I've been playing this for a good few weeks now, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. It is a bit odd having no human NPCs, and the multiplayer side of things is of no interest to me, but in general I'm enjoying the questing, exploration and combat.

The game has grown on me. Think I'm enjoying it more than F4

The game has grown on me. Think I'm enjoying it more than F4

I'm definitely enjoying it, but not as much as F4. I do miss the human NPCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

There are rumours now that it is going free to play. Sounds like sales were a complete disaster for Bethesda.

It's definitely the worst launch, if only from a PR point of view, that i can ever remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

there was a fallout alright

Skerries wrote: »
    there was a fallout alright

0VCUpDb.jpg

• Advertisement

Wonder if it goes F2P would they refund those who bought the game or would the Fallout community and game base explode.

Nuke.gif

Advertisement