Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

Actions like this work very well to relieve congestion and improve city living

A prime example, pre-covid, the difference in traffic levels when schools are off should tell you all you need to know about how much better life can be if we can build infrastructure that enables kids to cycle to and from schools safely and not need a parent to ferry them in a car. Thats not to mention the amount of commuters themselves who would also move away from car use, thereby freeing up capacity for those who have no option but to drive.

Seems like a no brainer to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Less than half the population in comparison then thanks for confirming that. You didn't mention why you aren't prepared to pay your fair share towards the cost of car infrastructure?

show me the metric on which Dublin's climate is better for bike riders than that of Paris:

https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/33845~47913/Comparison-of-the-Average-Weather-in-Dublin-and-Paris

You know there are very few one seater four wheeled vehicles on the road. You don't necessarily need to be gripping a steering wheel to be deriving benefit from the personal private transportation device which is a car.

Seeing as Cars are punitively taxed during acquisition and use in Ireland I think you are arguing from a very weak position.

I contribute nothing to cost of car infrastructure in Ireland. I'd thought that would have been clear. My taxes here however do contribute to a wonderful infrastructure system which interweaves roads with rail, high speed rail, light rail, aviation links, etc... all to the benefit of the Citizens and where planning of transportation policy is not in the hands of Radicals.

• Advertisement

It sure would be nice not to have to put on Galoshes and Waterproofs along with the thinsulate gloves in order to enjoy the Infrastructure.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It would be nice to be able to weat t-shirts and shorts all year round. What's that got to do with anything? FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I cycle every day in Dublin, very rarely get wet. It never rains. I don't know why people are engaging with you you may as well be a brick wall, but it will be getting harder and harder to drive in the city going forward whether you like it or not.

I provided the statistics above. How can you argue with them?

You are so tied to your beliefs that your concept of self would collapse if you were to dispassionately question them so you'd prefer to hang me.

You really should focus more on the post and not the posters

• Advertisement

Do you accept that unfavourable ambient temperatures and precipitation would have a negative effect on usage of cycle infrastructure where provisioned.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A small difference in temperature doesn't matter as you quickly warm up. Extremes are what you want to avoid. Really hot or really cold weather where you get snow or ice doesn't really work for cycling. As for rain, it all depends on when it rains. I walk a lot and it really doesn't rain that much in Dublin. I get the bus to work but have to walk a bit at either end. It rarely rained on me. I can only remember one notable time a few years ago where I got drenched but that was about it. After that day I left a spare pair of clothes and runners in my desk at work so that if it ever happened again I could just change. I have literally never used them. People make a much bigger deal of the rain here than it actually is.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is a strange question. I could also ask if nice weather would make more people come out and cycle. Is winter or summer the benchmark? Either way, many people cycle all year round. Many more (especially women) would do so if they felt it was safe to do so.

However, as the phrase goes, there is no bad weather, just bad clothing!.

Either way, if you are looking for me to say that less people would cycle in poor weather, then yes, this is true. However, in a city designed to cater for the masses then there will still be room on the public transit systems (bus, luas, trains, etc.). If you are waiting for me to say that everyone should need a car then (as a petrolhead) I will openly say that this is not the case nor should it be.

Lastly, why do people against the reform of our cities continue seem to focus (negatively) on cycling as the solution to traffic problems. Where are your questions around the potential time savings by using busses that aren't held up at junctions by motorists? Where are your questions about time savings because of the huge numbers of people who choose to travel by public transport rather than by car? Where are your questions about the money to be saved by the average household because they aren't spending the same amount each year on their car? Not one person in favour of reform is pushing a bicycle as the solution nor are they telling people to get out of cars and onto a bike. It is honestly getting boring now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Looks pretty comparable so let's just stop that nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

um, the very first graph in the link; dublin is milder than paris? higher lows and lower highs.

and you ignore the graph showing how many months of the year it is deemed "comfortable". You're grasping.

Nonsense. You ignore "less rain", "less wind" and the amount of times it is deemed "comfortable". You are a funny bunch round here.

The weather in Ireland is inclement. There is no denying it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

huh. they regard 17C as 'cool' rather than 'comfortable'. wimps.

The weather in Ireland is inclement.

Disagree. It can be unpleasant some days, sure, but they are few and far between and considering most journeys by bike at 20-30 mins max, its really not that big of a deal.

However, lets say for arguments sake I think you are right and say the weather is crap on X days of the year.

What point are you trying to make with this as the basis of your argument? If the weather is bad on X days, what conclusions are you drawing and how do they relate to the topic of the thread?

build a beach resort in Ireland then don't be surprised if it achieves low occupancy rate. build an all bells and whistles cycle infrastructure in Ireland don't be surprised if it does convert the populace to cycling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I've driven during bad weather. It is a miserable experience and I'd much rather be on a bike with a jacket instead of taking twice as long as normal in the car.

Anyway, the logic is absurd. Its akin to saying no one will shop in town when they can shop in covered shopping centres cause it rains sometimes.

• Advertisement

you've jumped the shark if you're trying to compare a beach resort with provision of cycling infrastructure.

Magicbastarder, how much did your bike cost you again? I remember you bragging about it elsewhere. I think it would be fair to say you are raging and unapologetic proponent of Bicycles to the exclusion off all other transport. Your record speaks for itself on this sub-forum.

I see people claiming that 2.2million registered cars are used by the privileged few but when used as the transport medium for entire families cars are actually the majority and here we have a band of unreasonable people who want to ban them from Urban areas(the places where people live and work) without a jot of thought for the consequences.

No consideration as to whether quadricycles or Kei cars might be a happy medium. Prohibition from use in locations where people actually live in large volumes is the preferred solution. Discussion about reducing the rush hour volumes through changed work patterns drowned out. No, ban the nasty car, expel it from the City.

I see people claiming that Irish weather isn't so inclement when we all know there it is not at all suited to bike riding over long distances.

There is a huge difference between cycling a few hundred metres in densely populated cities to many kilometres in Dublin.

The Group Think on this forum has led to a misdiagnosis of the problem and led to the proposal of inappropriate solutions some of which would destroy the livelihoods of Citizens(and I'm not talking about the motor sales industry).

wow, much conclusions, so little time.

do you mean the bike i bought for €50 and spent another €100-€150 bringing back to health?

i can assure you though that when i am driving later this afternoon, i will be crying with self hatred. couldn't let the side down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It would pay for itself too, and pay for a whole lot more.

You're not concerned about tyre particles and brake particles then?

No, I meant this one in the group w@nk thread where cyclists brag about how much their bike is worth:

It does show how disingenuous you are that you don't mention it or did you get a 3k bike for 50 quid and then spent 150 euro repairing it.

Since you're interested, my good bike cost me less than 2k, probably about as much as a 15 year old car would cost in today's market.

I had to drag that out of you. You are the quality of poster I'm debating against.

I already dismissed those reports regarging tyre and brake particles but the media is hungry for scary headlines and paper won't refuse ink.

The EV doesn't wear out brakes. I put my car in to B mode when I start it to regen the battery on the hill in the morning and my range goes up by 4 or more KM.

The reports regarding tyre particles are scientifically unsound. If tyres were losing the amount of rubber that was claimed then a car's speedometer would be reading 4 or 5kmph more after 10k km and would be down to the metal. My low rolling resistance tyres certainly don't lose thread as I have returned my company cars on their original tyres after 4 years and 100k km with plenty of thread left in the tyres. That's two cars on their original summer and winter tyres.

• Advertisement

Congrats, you dragged it out of me. To what end?

Advertisement