Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Obviously they figure they can support their current lifestyles with Metal Slug and KotF revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So... was doing my radio show the other day and was looking for something suitable retro and stumbled across something awesome.

Leslie Wai has made four remixes so far of Nintendo, Playstation, Xbox and Sega video game console start up sound remixes.

Honestly, they're such a vibe!

Listen to them on decent headphones / speakers as some of them are very bass heavy. Curious to know what you all think though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So my everdrive's ended up in Poland and the lads got them it seems. Couldn't get them sent back but got a refund. Considering all the bullshit those guys have been through they were very helpful. **** An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭Inviere

A typically Irish approach, inefficient, ineffective, lazy, and half arsed. We all understand import duty customs and excise need to be collected, but jesus, no other country in Europe have messed up as bad as Ireland in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I wouldn't mind but they knew the change was coming and they have already been doing clearances for stuff over €20 so it's nothing new, just increased volume which they should have accounted for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

To celebrate the Speccy's 40th birthday there's a nice charity bundle of some decent modern homebrew available at the moment.

In aid of Special Effect. It includes a pretty impressive version of Tokimal.

Well worth a tenner (if you have any interest at all in the Spectrum that is!)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

How do you guys hack selling stuff on Adverts? I’m listing some modern consoles and a MacBook and find that a) it’s saturated with them at stupid prices and b) it’ll the usual “swap for some other junk” requests.

The alternative is Cex but they suck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It is a pain in the backside alright.

As for CEX, not great, but then I got a Galaxy Fold 2 from them the other day, instead of cash I used some 20 games, which was nice, saved €900 right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

From the limited selling I've had on Adverts.ie - I'm just very blunt with 'NO SWAPS or SILLY OFFERS' in the description.

Adverts is 1000x better than selling on eBay - farce so it is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

This is getting a rerelease on current gen consoles (and PS4).

Hopefully a certain prototype of its sequel won't lead to an invasion and start a war here on Irish Soil! ;)

• Advertisement

Maybe that would halt the offensive, to offer the proto via the UN Security Council...

Of course, then Russia and China would go at it, to try and win the prize!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Would Putin be willing to halt the invasion of Ukraine if o1s1n surrenders his prototype?

I could see Putin parading it with the army on May 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Soon to be seen in Ukraine...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Facebook sales arent much better either, niche fashion groups are mostly fine, regular clothes and games are just so stress inducing

Last time I was selling games just sold to friends or gave away the rest, my patience couldn't take it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Happy birthday ZX Spectrum, 40 years young today.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is the host of today's pinball league one of ye lads? My friend sent me a video, that is a savage game room. I like how the arcade machines and console stuff have their own section. Very slick. (If not, then nobody has any idea what I'm on about haha)

I would do unspeakable things to have a HotD2 cab in my house...

Post edited by DaveyDave on

Indeed, I picked up the latest Retrogamer issue as it celebrates the rubber keyed wonder

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hah cheers! Spent way too much time playing that in my college years. That was an interesting watch that, although it defo triggered me seeing how not to play the game. 😂 You need to be using the flame thrower for a start. I must record a 1 cc run of that some day, see if I can still finish it twice in a row on the 1 credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

Some more gaming news that may be if interest to o1s1n and others on here.

It's a Kickstarter for a game called Operation Highjump: The Fall of Berlin.

Which draws inspiration from not only Metal Slug but also "the puzzles of Lost Vikings, the tactical missions of Commandos and the narrative story of Indiana Jones"

Not sure what people like retr0gamer will think of the art style but I think it looks quite detailed and the cathedral with the stained glass at the start looks like total eye candy.

Chris Huelsbeck is involved in the games soundtrack, and his post is how I discovered it.

They are releasing them all as sonic origins soon. And considering the people behind it they are probably going to be the definitive versions.

Me: "So I really need to buy (insert classic game name/series here) again?"

Also Me: "Shut up and take my money!"

I get the Sega love and those games are broadly superb, but I wish they would release a few collections of their other titles.

A pair of collections of their racing and fighting games would be outstanding, especially the former.

Super Hang-On, Virtua Racing, Daytona, Sega Rally, Scud Race, Manx TT Superbike, to name but a few. I know some have made it onto the digital shop fronts, such as Virtua Racing and Daytona, but some of them have never ported or were last playable as a port on the Saturn.

Also, while I'm dreaming, I'd love to play Daytona USA 2001 on a modern console, that game was just fantastic, and has aged really well. The problem for that game was the default control sensitivity was all over the place, and no one bought the game!

Big issue with the Sega racing titles is all the licensing involved. But I'd be more than happy to pay for the likes of Sega Rally or Daytona one off releases like I did for Daytona PS360.

They lost the Ferrari licence, so bye bye Outrun 2/2006 remasters :(

Good thing the PSP/PS2 editions are so good!

They had it on the digital storefronts for a while, and if you bought it back then you can still download it, but I never did so now I never can :( :(

Spoiler: The PC version is easy to get and Sumo Digital Being awesome it runs on modern hardware and supports up to 8k resolutions.

Good to hear, I must give that a try, it's such a great game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Absolutely adore Outrun 2006 — actually dipping in and out of it at the minute as my save file buggered and will take any excuse to play it again. The career mode can get a bit repetitive, mind you, which tends to be lost on me when I get all glazened-eyed about the game.

Advertisement