Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toyota Yaris USB connection

• 21-10-2018 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Recently bought a 171 Yaris, and I'm trying to work out how to connect my phone (Samsung Note 8) to the car. I can connect the phone via Bluetooth, and that is working.

However, when I plug the phone into the USB on the car, it doesn't show up (either as an iPod or USB on the screen). The phone's screen also goes blank, or sometimes shows a message about something called MirrorLink.

Any ideas on how to get my phone connected?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You use mirrorlink.

https://mirrorlink.com

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You use mirrorlink.

https://mirrorlink.com

The only thing I can find for MirrorLink is a paid app on Google Store. Is that the thing to use?

Check the manual as there may be a specific Toyota app.

Toyota may have restricted the features on the headunit, I know they were selling an upgrade in the touch 2 system before.

What do you want the system to do? As far as I know this just allows you to control the phone with the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

Check the manual as there may be a specific Toyota app.

Toyota may have restricted the features on the headunit, I know they were selling an upgrade in the touch 2 system before.

What do you want the system to do? As far as I know this just allows you to control the phone with the screen.

Basically, by able to connect the phone to the car, control it, and be able to steam music from the phone to the speakers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Please excuse my extreme ignorance on things tecky, but I also have a 171 Toyota Yaris (hybrid) and a useless vodafone freebie nokia 1 phone. The bluetooth is not compatible. Would this app make the phone link to the car? Better solution would be to get a better phone but...

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Please excuse my extreme ignorance on things tecky, but I also have a 171 Toyota Yaris (hybrid) and a useless vodafone freebie nokia 1 phone. The bluetooth is not compatible. Would this app make the phone link to the car? Better solution would be to get a better phone but...

There’s a handy compatibility checker here for Bluetooth. You’ll need Bluetooth to start with anyway.
    https://www.toyota.ie/service-and-accessories/my-toyota/bluetooth-compatibility.json

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Maybe you need to install Android Auto on your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

What's the default connection type set to on the phone? Usually it's set to "charge" but to access media it needs to be set to MIDI or File transfer.

When you have the phone plugged in to the car, usually if you swipe down you have a notification of what the USB is doing, and most of the time it will be charging only. Tapping the notification usually opens the menu where you have the other options. Try playing around with those and see if any of them work.

I've found that Android never plays very well with car radio systems for playing music that's in the storage in your phone. Personally, I just use Google Play Music or Spotify and stream through Bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

R.O.R wrote: »
    What's the default connection type set to on the phone? Usually it's set to "charge" but to access media it needs to be set to MIDI or File transfer.

When you have the phone plugged in to the car, usually if you swipe down you have a notification of what the USB is doing, and most of the time it will be charging only. Tapping the notification usually opens the menu where you have the other options. Try playing around with those and see if any of them work.

I've found that Android never plays very well with car radio systems for playing music that's in the storage in your phone. Personally, I just use Google Play Music or Spotify and stream through Bluetooth.

Think there is one called MTP too which should do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭seekers

I've that problem as well. Does anyone know how to fix it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

2012 Yaris hybrid owner here. No direct USB, just cigarette charger. I would like Android Auto from my phone to display on the car's screen, but I doubt that's possible due to age. I've only installed the app on the phone now, have no experience of it, not that I'm heavy car-device user, tbh. There might be a new unit that could work. I'm not savvy enough to do the install, though. Maybe it's best to go for a phone cradle.

What exactly do you need the unit to do for you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What exactly do you need the unit to do for you?

Display/use Google Maps, preferably. Bluetooth, radio, etc. There's a nav button from when I bought it in the UK, but there's nothing on it (knew that at the time, though).

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭seekers

What app do I need to download to make this work?

Advertisement