Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice for a musician looking for a career to fall back on?

Options
  • 20-10-2018 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm leaving cert student who is unsure what to do after school. I know I want to make music, but I live in a very rural area and there is very few like minded people around who I can collaborate with and I also really want to get out of my town so I want to go to college. I've strongly considered doing Music Technology and Production at Limerick Institute of Technology because I think I would meet like minded people through that course and I might still find employment in the industry I'm interested in if things don't work out. But from what I can tell it's very hard to land any of the jobs in that Industry (ie. working in a recording studio etc.). My guidance counselor told me I should consider Music, Media and Performance technology at University of Limerick because it has a few of the elements of the other course but it's broader, and I'd me more employable for having done it. Could anyone working in the industry or anyone who has done college course like the ones mentioned offer me any advice? Would really appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mike656

MJKELLY74 wrote: »
    I'm leaving cert student who is unsure what to do after school. I know I want to make music, but I live in a very rural area and there is very few like minded people around who I can collaborate with and I also really want to get out of my town so I want to go to college. I've strongly considered doing Music Technology and Production at Limerick Institute of Technology because I think I would meet like minded people through that course and I might still find employment in the industry I'm interested in if things don't work out. But from what I can tell it's very hard to land any of the jobs in that Industry (ie. working in a recording studio etc.). My guidance counselor told me I should consider Music, Media and Performance technology at University of Limerick because it has a few of the elements of the other course but it's broader, and I'd me more employable for having done it. Could anyone working in the industry or anyone who has done college course like the ones mentioned offer me any advice? Would really appreciate it!

Hi. What aspects of music are you interested in? Are you musically literate? Do you play an instrument? What musical experience do you have up to now? Some of these answers will help in giving advice. As general advice I would say if you have the dedication to reach a high enough level in whatever field interests you, I wouldn't shy away from doing any course. The music industry always has room for people who apply themselves and have a professional attitude in my opinion.

I don't know if boards has a pm function but if it does and you would prefer to message me there, by all means do, I'm happy to help.

Advertisement