Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

non-Irish .. can they vote for Irish President?

1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I have an Irish passport but can't vote in any Irish votes, the Dublin government just gave us those bits of paper to quiet the barbaric northerners down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,691 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They say no taxation without representation. In my view the opposite should apply, ie no representation without taxation.

You vote in the society in which you live and if there's no democracy where you happen to live, then you don't vote.

The equivalent to asking Irish people abroad to vote for Irish candidates, when they have perhaps little idea what the realities of life and the issues on the ground within this Country that will have to live with the outcome of that vote are, is shyte hawks like Peter Casey swanning back to Ireland after 40+ years and displaying obvious ignorance and totally simple minded notions of whats going on, not to mind hypocrisy and a farcical image of himself.

And before people call me out on it, yes I don't believe anyone who came 'home to vote' in recent campaigns and who had been abroad for more than 6 months should be been able to vote, as per the rules. There must have been thousands of examples of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Larbre34 wrote: »
    They say no taxation without representation. In my view the opposite should apply, ie no representation without taxation.

You vote in the society in which you live and if there's no democracy where you happen to live, then you don't vote.

The equivalent to asking Irish people abroad to vote for Irish candidates, when they have perhaps little idea what the realities of life and the issues on the ground within this Country that will have to live with the outcome of that vote are, is shyte hawks like Peter Casey swanning back to Ireland after 40+ years and displaying obvious ignorance and totally simple minded notions of whats going on, not to mind hypocrisy and a farcical image of himself.

And before people call me out on it, yes I don't believe anyone who came 'home to vote' in recent campaigns and who had been abroad for more than 6 months should be been able to vote, as per the rules. There must have been thousands of examples of this.

What about economic migrants forced to move abroad who would like to return? You might be only out of the country for a couple of years and the very people and policies forced you out are still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,691 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What about economic migrants forced to move abroad who would like to return? You might be only out of the country for a couple of years and the very people and policies forced you out are still around.

Fair point. The current rules are that once you are gone 6 months, you lose the franchise, perhaps a campaign will arise to change that. I think myself it would require a change to a list system for Dáil to allow citizens abroad have a constituency.

In fact, I've always thought a list system (or at least a hybrid) would go a long way to getting us beyond the glorified County Councillors that TDs are, where their main focus should be national policy and needs and plainly they aren't. But thats another day's work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'd say something like citizenship. If you take citizenship it's unlikely you plan to return anytime soon. Casey had some neck TBF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,524 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Golgafrinchan 'B' Ark

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Fair point. The current rules are that once you are gone 6 months, you lose the franchise

18 months.

It's ridiculous that you can be resident in another EU country and not have a vote either there or here. All EU member states should give full voting rights to resident EU citizens.

Here's what you could have won.

Advertisement