Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aging poitin

Options
  • 04-10-2018 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭

Thinking of aging a small amount of poitin.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Get a shovel, dig a deep hole in your back garden. Place said bottle of illicit brew into hole and cover with soil. Come back in 10 years when you’ve grown up and realise that you’ve made some stupid mistakes in your life and this was one of them.

The Gloomster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Get a shovel, dig a deep hole in your back garden. Place said bottle of illicit brew into hole and cover with soil. Come back in 10 years when you’ve grown up and realise that you’ve made some stupid mistakes in your life and this was one of them.

The Gloomster

Thanks for your input.

Not all poitin is illicit, and it isn't brewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If its in a glass bottle, it can't be "aged".
    You would need to be able to get a Sherry barrel or similar, and have enough poitin to fill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've done this in a 5l oak Cask.
    It ages very quickly in such a small Cask - a couple of months sees quite a lot of ageing.

I kept a bottle of Mareria in the Cask for about a year, first.

You'd probably need to do something like this to mellow the raw wood. In such a small cask, oak is pretty aggressive.

Mine has been in there for about 10 months and is totally over wooded and unsubtle. Think I'll leave it longer to see what happens.

BTW, the poitín I used was legally produced and duty paid- essentially new make, grain whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I've done this in a 5l oak Cask.
    It ages very quickly in such a small Cask - a couple of months sees quite a lot of ageing.

I kept a bottle of Mareria in the Cask for about a year, first.

You'd probably need to do something like this to mellow the raw wood. In such a small cask, oak is pretty aggressive.

Mine has been in there for about 10 months and is totally over wooded and unsubtle. Think I'll leave it longer to see what happens.

BTW, the poitín I used was legally produced and duty paid- essentially new make, grain whiskey.

Thanks.
    I'm trying to impart bourbon flavour if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The Gloomster

Gloomster, appreciate that homemade poitin is illegal but there are legal brands available.

To answer OP, you can buy small casks to age spirits in but I believe the large cask to liquid ratio means it's quite hard to not overpower the spirit.

https://woodenshell.co.uk/oak-barrels/whisky-barrels-with-burnt-finish-1-litre-10-litres.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl9zdBRDgARIsAL5Nyn014n0ejqoA72avAV38ecr5V6tRWVUdnx23UfY6psG9ClVzz3MeXKMaAs6hEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

What about wood chips, similar to the one's that are sold for barbeque smokers or home brew wine kits?
    Would need some decanting/straining though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Mulk wrote: »
    What about wood chips, similar to the one's that are sold for barbeque smokers or home brew wine kits?
    Would need some decanting/straining though

That is the usual way people do it on distillation forums. You just put chips in a bottle. In a barrel the ratio of oak surface area to liquid volume is not great compared to a bottle full of chips. I think some may leave the cap on loosely.

There are several speed aging techniques.

I would be using chips intended for homebrew, BBQ could have anything in them. I toasted my own oak and aged rum before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I've tried wine before, i couldn't get any oaked taste from the ones supplied with the kit.
    I have a bag of JD whiskey barrel chips for the barbeque. When I soak these in water for 10 mins, the water in which i've soaked them looks and smells like a glass of whiskey:pac:
    I'd imagine there is additives in them.

Advertisement