Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

How can Brick & Mortar shops compete with Online Shopping?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,613 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

When I think about the typical retail park tenants, the only one I think is doing well is Smyth's. And they're Irish. Given that most toys come from outside Europe, and they're non perishable, they should be OK following Brexit. All those already struggling UK chains will be in even more bother in their Irish operations. Next year might be a good time to consider leasing space in a retail park, it should be going cheap. Right now might be a good time to get out of any investments in Irish retail property funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

McGaggs wrote: »
    When I think about the typical retail park tenants, the only one I think is doing well is Smyth's. And they're Irish. Given that most toys come from outside Europe, and they're non perishable, they should be OK following Brexit. All those already struggling UK chains will be in even more bother in their Irish operations. Next year might be a good time to consider leasing space in a retail park, it should be going cheap. Right now might be a good time to get out of any investments in Irish retail property funds.

Smyth's loses money 10 of the 12 months of the year, but they make an absolute killing at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Smyth's loses money 10 of the 12 months of the year.

Pretty much every toy store does. But they make enough in the other two months to balance it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I love how the shop local gets thrown around by certain groups but it's only used for selfish purposes . Most times you find the local shop will gouge the **** out of you for your loyalty and treat you like crap.

It's as simple as there is nothing to differentiate local shops in terms of value from the likes of online retailers. Most even have a really **** web presence.

If the main street is to survive they need to up their customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I have just been checking out mobile phones - I'm with Tesco Mobile not due an upgrade yet, but if I wanted to pop into Tesco store in town and get a pre-pay phone for around 150eur lets say it would be 2gb RAM / 16GB storage / quad core / locked to Tesco - for same price online from a european warehouse a phone with 4GB Ram/32 (or 64) Storage /Octacore/ Unlocked to all networks - granted not a Samsung make or what have you but just pointing out another way how the stores seem to be loosing out to online shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭wingnut

I recokon there is a market for 'try before you buy shops' that don't sell anything but you pay a small fee to try something out before ordering it online. Electronic goods and clothes in particular.

wingnut wrote: »
    I recokon there is a market for 'try before you buy shops' that don't sell anything but you pay a small fee to try something out before ordering it online. Electronic goods and clothes in particular.

I need a good few hours to try out something ... hey even over 24 hours some times . The amount of times I have bought something, been uber excited when I first got it and by day 2 or 3either bored with it / dont like /found drawbacks /couldnt stand it and wish I never bought it has been a lot of times like that.

also would hate to be 'testing it out' in shop and a sales-person breathing down my neck and keep asking "is everything ok?" and "well... have ye made yer mind up yet?"

My mum used to run catalogs years ago when I was young and they would give you 7-14 days to try out anything and if you werent happy with it they would refund it - no quibble .. I suppose you would get people take the pee of course though these days.

ARGOS have (on a certain amount of things) 14 day money back guarantee

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭howdoyouknow

I can see shops having to charge an admission fee as the only way they can survive. They'll be more like a show room than an actual retail space. More product demonstration and hands on open box product. Order it there and then or from home after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I love the two ideas above. Cut down on all the BS, have just a big warehouse with staff who are "on the ball" and can whip out the product required (or take you to it) quickly. There would have to be some stock too so if it's a small appliance or clothing you're getting you can buy and take it home there and then.

Charge a small standard admission fee, but deliver on the promise that anything can be handled, tried on, or demonstrated.

It's more important to me that staff can show you at least, or explain and show ideally, how a product works than having a beautiful display.
    For example I am particular on filter coffee makers : a lot of them have a bridled hotplate/boiler and the coffee is simply not warm enough. Give me a chance to sample a drop, or show me your earlier findings on temperatures so I can make a decision on which one I'll take ! I'd be glad to have paid my admission for that service.

that would involve such a massive mond changing on behalf of the consumer - I wonder how many people would be prepared to pay an admission fee at the end of the day - and every high street shop would have to be in, you couldnt have some that charge and others that dont. - i think that would just push more people to shop online myself personally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭ Isaac Quiet Duckling

I hate online shopping. Things are rarely ever as described and the hassle of returns is just too much. The only time I choose online is if a size isn't available in the shop - this is mostly shorter length trousers and jeans where they only stock regular in the shop but have short and long available online. At least I have seen the item in real life first to assess the quality of material. Except in rare circumstances I will also only buy online if returns can be made to the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

wingnut wrote: »

All the problems of b&m and all the problems of online rolled into one service.

Stupid idea.

Advertisement