Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

South-East Health - Primetime

245

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭ hardybuck


    Deiseen wrote: »
    Yeah I guess your right, my strong feelings are to blame for all the ignored reports recommending a university in the South East, and the lack of IDA visits and faking reports so that we can't have a second Cath lab.

    I don't know what generation you are, but the militant trade union garbage is long gone, as I said, most people my age wouldn't even be aware of this and I'm from Waterford!

    Cork had a lot of sit ins over the last few years, I suppose investment will start flooding out of cork now based on your logic.

    I don't think you're being very balanced, and you've seized upon one point you didn't like.

    I merely pointed out a few reasons why I thought Waterford ended up where it is. In my opinion what happened in the 80s and 90s is extremely relevant to how Waterford developed in the way that it did, or more accurately didn't develop in the way that it maybe should.

    In my opinion it's not everyone else's fault, the blame lies in many places, including in Waterford.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ Deiseen


    hardybuck wrote: »
    Deiseen wrote: »
    Yeah I guess your right, my strong feelings are to blame for all the ignored reports recommending a university in the South East, and the lack of IDA visits and faking reports so that we can't have a second Cath lab.

    I don't know what generation you are, but the militant trade union garbage is long gone, as I said, most people my age wouldn't even be aware of this and I'm from Waterford!

    Cork had a lot of sit ins over the last few years, I suppose investment will start flooding out of cork now based on your logic.

    I don't think you're being very balanced, and you've seized upon one point you didn't like.

    I merely pointed out a few reasons why I thought Waterford ended up where it is. In my opinion what happened in the 80s and 90s is extremely relevant to how Waterford developed in the way that it did, or more accurately didn't develop in the way that it maybe should.

    In my opinion it's not everyone else's fault, the blame lies in many places, including in Waterford.

    I'm not saying a Uni, properly funded hospital, airport and good paying jobs are the saving grace to make Waterford a Utopia, because they won't. Look at Limerick, it has all those things but has major issues, but at least it has the ingredients to work on their issues. We have sweet FA.

    One thing limerick can never say, is that it is being royally screwed by the Government. We can, in every way. You may think I'm being unbalanced but I'm not.

    If the primetime report doesn't convince you about what most of us have already known, then I'm not sure what will.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭ Chiparus


    Deiseen wrote: »
    Political influence, militant trade unions or poor councils should have absolutely zero to do with the Government investing fairly in the South East.

    There's no potentially about it, its pure fact that it's down to Government neglect.

    You are crazy to think that militant trade unions from the 80s would affect a large multinational from investing in Waterford. Most people below 30 don't even know this was a thing in Waterford, never mind someone who is not even from Ireland!

    The problem is that a company will look for an educated work force which we don't have because we don't have a University (and not many ITs) they will look for access which we don't have because we are not near an international airport. Then they will actually have to be brought down for a visit, which they aren't by the IDA!

    I am actually struggling to believe that you think it can be partly blamed on militant trade unions, or anything other than neglect from the government to be honest!!!

    I would say you are wrong there, the former justice spokesman for FG was despised by Enda Kenny.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ Deiseen


    Chiparus wrote: »
    Deiseen wrote: »
    Political influence, militant trade unions or poor councils should have absolutely zero to do with the Government investing fairly in the South East.

    There's no potentially about it, its pure fact that it's down to Government neglect.

    You are crazy to think that militant trade unions from the 80s would affect a large multinational from investing in Waterford. Most people below 30 don't even know this was a thing in Waterford, never mind someone who is not even from Ireland!

    The problem is that a company will look for an educated work force which we don't have because we don't have a University (and not many ITs) they will look for access which we don't have because we are not near an international airport. Then they will actually have to be brought down for a visit, which they aren't by the IDA!

    I am actually struggling to believe that you think it can be partly blamed on militant trade unions, or anything other than neglect from the government to be honest!!!

    I would say you are wrong there, the former justice spokesman for FG was despised by Enda Kenny.

    Political influence definitely does help but I'm saying it shouldn't.

    I understand we may lose out here and there due to lack of political representation but the amount we lose out on is beyond belief and cannot just be down to political representation.

    Like going out of the way to twist/fake/fudge reports is not down to lack of political representation..


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ Deiseen


    Chiparus wrote: »
    Deiseen wrote: »
    Political influence, militant trade unions or poor councils should have absolutely zero to do with the Government investing fairly in the South East.

    There's no potentially about it, its pure fact that it's down to Government neglect.

    You are crazy to think that militant trade unions from the 80s would affect a large multinational from investing in Waterford. Most people below 30 don't even know this was a thing in Waterford, never mind someone who is not even from Ireland!

    The problem is that a company will look for an educated work force which we don't have because we don't have a University (and not many ITs) they will look for access which we don't have because we are not near an international airport. Then they will actually have to be brought down for a visit, which they aren't by the IDA!

    I am actually struggling to believe that you think it can be partly blamed on militant trade unions, or anything other than neglect from the government to be honest!!!

    I would say you are wrong there, the former justice spokesman for FG was despised by Enda Kenny.

    Political influence definitely does help but I'm saying it shouldn't.

    I understand we may lose out here and there due to lack of political representation but the amount we lose out on is beyond belief and cannot just be down to political representation.

    Like going out of the way to twist/fake/fudge reports is not down to lack of political representation..


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭ Chiparus


    Deiseen wrote: »
    Political influence definitely does help but I'm saying it shouldn't.

    I understand we may lose out here and there due to lack of political representation but the amount we lose out on is beyond belief and cannot just be down to political representation.

    Like going out of the way to twist/fake/fudge reports is not down to lack of political representation..

    I can tell you , the reason why Limerick has a cardiac catherisation lab has little to do with need - there is a direct motorway to Galway, another coming to Cork ans the catchment area population half that of Waterford.

    All to do with who was the minister of finance. The knock on was that Cork lost a large part of its catchment population for cardiology ( Kerry Limerick, North Tip) hence the need for Cork to get the population from Waterford and south tip.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭ hardybuck


    Chiparus wrote: »
    I can tell you , the reason why Limerick has a cardiac catherisation lab has little to do with need - there is a direct motorway to Galway, another coming to Cork ans the catchment area population half that of Waterford.

    All to do with who was the minister of finance. The knock on was that Cork lost a large part of its catchment population for cardiology ( Kerry Limerick, North Tip) hence the need for Cork to get the population from Waterford and south tip.

    I think people forget about how big Limerick is. The county is about the size of Waterford and Kilkenny combined. They also serve north Tipp, parts of Clare with a good population, and North Kerry as you've mentioned.

    I think that combined with the fact that parts of the south east are within an hour of Dublin and Cork doesn't help either.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ Deiseen


    hardybuck wrote: »
    Chiparus wrote: »
    I can tell you , the reason why Limerick has a cardiac catherisation lab has little to do with need - there is a direct motorway to Galway, another coming to Cork ans the catchment area population half that of Waterford.

    All to do with who was the minister of finance. The knock on was that Cork lost a large part of its catchment population for cardiology ( Kerry Limerick, North Tip) hence the need for Cork to get the population from Waterford and south tip.

    I think people forget about how big Limerick is. The county is about the size of Waterford and Kilkenny combined. They also serve north Tipp, parts of Clare with a good population, and North Kerry as you've mentioned.

    I think that combined with the fact that parts of the south east are within an hour of Dublin and Cork doesn't help either.

    Parts of places you mentioned are very near to Galway and Cork..

    No one's arguing about size or proximity to Dublin. What we are talking about here is the fudging of a document to deny Waterford/SE a service it requires based on population and need.

    Not sure why you are trying to install other criteria when the documentary clearly showed there was an agenda to cover up the need for this service.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭ Chiparus


    Deiseen wrote: »
    Parts of places you mentioned are very near to Galway and Cork..

    No one's arguing about size or proximity to Dublin. What we are talking about here is the fudging of a document to deny Waterford/SE a service it requires based on population and need.

    Not sure why you are trying to install other criteria when the documentary clearly showed there was an agenda to cover up the need for this service.

    No I'm pointing out the reason why Waterford does not have 24/7 cath lab, is actually to boost up Corks numbers, because they lost patients when Limerick got 24/7 cath lab.

    Limericks cachement was only 300,000


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ Deiseen


    Chiparus wrote: »
    Deiseen wrote: »
    Parts of places you mentioned are very near to Galway and Cork..

    No one's arguing about size or proximity to Dublin. What we are talking about here is the fudging of a document to deny Waterford/SE a service it requires based on population and need.

    Not sure why you are trying to install other criteria when the documentary clearly showed there was an agenda to cover up the need for this service.

    No I'm pointing out the reason why Waterford does not have 24/7 cath lab, is actually to boost up Corks numbers, because they lost patients when Limerick got 24/7 cath lab.

    Limericks cachement was only 300,000

    Sorry, meant those last 2 points as a reply to hardybucks.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭ Max Powers


    I recorded prime time bit, finally got to watch it, shocking stuff, if we didn't all know it years ago. John halligan was poor on it I felt, like he was trying to big up his achievement of getting to where we are now, when all was required was to hammer home the lying report and dark arts in the HSE.pity, I like JH, and as mentioned numerous times before, agree with a lot of what he says but I think he has been useless.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ Deiseen


    Max Powers wrote: »
    I recorded prime time bit, finally got to watch it, shocking stuff, if we didn't all know it years ago. John halligan was poor on it I felt, like he was trying to big up his achievement of getting to where we are now, when all was required was to hammer home the lying report and dark arts in the HSE.pity, I like JH, and as mentioned numerous times before, agree with a lot of what he says but I think he has been useless.

    In fairness to John, he was hammering on about the flawed report more than anyone when it was released.

    Any statement from Herity?


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    Was there another protest in town yesterday over the cath lab?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭ Gardner


    Deiseen wrote: »
    In fairness to John, he was hammering on about the flawed report more than anyone when it was released.

    Any statement from Herity?

    this!

    we only see about 0.5% of what goes on behind the scenes and the absolute muck sprouted at times on the 24/7 facebook pages doesn't help either.

    when the minister for popular rhetoric David Cullinane has fallen out with nearly all the action groups it says a lot. even though Halligan was poor when he said he would "rain hell on the government" you can clearly see he is working behind the scenes to get this delivered and i believe he will in time. this isn't something that by a click of your fingers can happen over night that the social media warriors believe it will. if Paudie Coffey was reelected in the last GE and was sitting at cabinet at a senior position we would still be in the same situation.

    there are local elections coming up and it will be interesting to see if some of these social media ego's put their name forward. 2 of the groups front people are unbackable. Shanahan personal facebook page showed that he was a big No voter in the recent referendum and O'Neill is a backer of Gemma O'Doherty who believes the world is flat and everyone is wrong expect her :P


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭ Gardner


    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Was there another protest in town yesterday over the cath lab?

    was down in the city over the weekend and went down for a look while herself was in the shops. left after 5 minutes. heard nothing new and the same auld speech. its nearly a men's shed at the moment to get auld lads out of the gaff to rant and rave on the street and then have a few pints on the way home.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ debok


    Gardner wrote: »
    was down in the city over the weekend and went down for a look while herself was in the shops. left after 5 minutes. heard nothing new and the same auld speech. its nearly a men's shed at the moment to get auld lads out of the gaff to rant and rave on the street and then have a few pints on the way home.

    In fairness your full of ****e now. Your judging Who spoke at the protest on the five minutes you were there. Did you see people you nearly died from heart issues speaking or family members of poor wit lecturer who died or Vicky Phelan from cervical cancer scandal speak. At least there trying to get something done.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭ Gardner


    debok wrote: »
    In fairness your full of ****e now. Your judging Who spoke at the protest on the five minutes you were there. Did you see people you nearly died from heart issues speaking or family members of poor wit lecturer who died or Vicky Phelan from cervical cancer scandal speak. At least there trying to get something done.

    heard it on WLR, RTE & read it endless amount of times on Social Media so i didn't need to hear it again. i don't suffer from memory loss. :rolleyes:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ debok


    Gardner wrote: »
    heard it on WLR, RTE & read it endless amount of times on Social Media so i didn't need to hear it again. i don't suffer from memory loss. :rolleyes:

    Let's hope you don't suffer a heart attack after 5 or the weekend.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭ Gardner


    debok wrote: »
    Let's hope you don't suffer a heart attack after 5 or the weekend.

    great response :rolleyes:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ debok


    Gardner wrote: »
    great response :rolleyes:

    Sorry i put let's and don't in it by accident


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭ Max Powers


    I can understand people are tired of doing these protests/marches or events to raise awareness, keep it in media and public conscious, it's a long struggle we clearly shouldn't have to, the arguement for 24/7 care has been well and truly won with cases presented, facts, figures, etc.
    But to come on here and just bad mouth the people who make the effort is beyond apathetic, it's pathetic.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ Deiseen


    Max Powers wrote: »
    I can understand people are tired of doing these protests/marches or events to raise awareness, keep it in media and public conscious, it's a long struggle we clearly shouldn't have to, the arguement for 24/7 care has been well and truly won with cases presented, facts, figures, etc.
    But to come on here and just bad mouth the people who make the effort is beyond apathetic, it's pathetic.

    Pretty bad alright. Actually disgraceful.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭ fricatus


    Gardner wrote: »
    was down in the city over the weekend and went down for a look while herself was in the shops. left after 5 minutes. heard nothing new and the same auld speech. its nearly a men's shed at the moment to get auld lads out of the gaff to rant and rave on the street and then have a few pints on the way home.

    Ridiculous comment. The protests are not there to entertain you or offer you something new. The whole idea is that we turn out in numbers so that the politicians know how we feel about this issue. And since little has been done since the last protest, it's only to be expected that there are no new arguments.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭ Gardner


    hold on and we have another protest this weekend with the same speakers and same rhetoric. sure [email protected] it lads, will we go again in 2 weeks time with the same speakers and rhetoric? sure [email protected] it again in the meantime we will think up of another rumour and create more confusion and sure we will have another protest with the same speaker and rhetoric.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ Deiseen


    Gardner wrote: »
    hold on and we have another protest this weekend with the same speakers and same rhetoric. sure [email protected] it lads, will we go again in 2 weeks time with the same speakers and rhetoric? sure [email protected] it again in the meantime we will think up of another rumour and create more confusion and sure we will have another protest with the same speaker and rhetoric.

    Woah, jaysis....


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ debok


    Ah stop boy will ya


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭ Johnboy1951


    Gardner wrote: »
    hold on and we have another protest this weekend with the same speakers and same rhetoric. sure [email protected] it lads, will we go again in 2 weeks time with the same speakers and rhetoric? sure [email protected] it again in the meantime we will think up of another rumour and create more confusion and sure we will have another protest with the same speaker and rhetoric.

    Yes, turn out for each and every protest so that those who represent us know we are serious about getting a proper service in the regional hospital!

    If it succeeds even the likes of you will benefit!

    :rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭ Max Powers


    Gardner wrote: »
    hold on and we have another protest this weekend with the same speakers and same rhetoric. sure [email protected] it lads, will we go again in 2 weeks time with the same speakers and rhetoric? sure [email protected] it again in the meantime we will think up of another rumour and create more confusion and sure we will have another protest with the same speaker and rhetoric.

    Your original comments were simply pathetic, much like the nonsense above, a perfect example off the worst type of troll who says everything is rubbish while sitting on the sidelines


  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ Mulbert


    hardybuck wrote: »
    I think people forget about how big Limerick is. The county is about the size of Waterford and Kilkenny combined. They also serve north Tipp, parts of Clare with a good population, and North Kerry as you've mentioned.

    I think that combined with the fact that parts of the south east are within an hour of Dublin and Cork doesn't help either.

    On a point of fact, area wise, County Limerick is nowhere near the size of counties Waterford and Kilkenny combined.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭ hardybuck


    Mulbert wrote: »
    On a point of fact, area wise, County Limerick is nowhere near the size of counties Waterford and Kilkenny combined.

    I was referring to population, as a matter of fact.


Advertisement