Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dentist recommendation? No medical card

Options
  • 17-09-2018 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

Can you recommend any dentists in Waterford? Or has anyone been to smiles dental by the park? I hear they do a free consultation but would that be too good to be true? I’ve no medical card so would have to pay, I heard something about if you pay prsi you’re entitled to a free check up but again dunno how true articles online are!?

Also FYI haven’t been in years and suppose I’d be a nervous patient!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭invara

I cannot recommend dentists in Waterford city. But I do know that if you pay PRSI you are entitled to a free check-up, a free clean and some treatments (or part payment). You need to have your PPS number when you call the dentist and they can check if you have an entitlement- worth knowing before making an appointment.

In Tramore Sarah Cusack, Brid Cantwell and Socha White are all highly thought of- and they all know their way around a nervous patients mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm still very happy with belvedere dental

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

I use the Williamstown practice, always found them very good. I had an emergency in Dublin once and used Smiles in Coolock who were excellent, I've heard good things about Smiles in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

invara wrote: »
    I cannot recommend dentists in Waterford city. But I do know that if you pay PRSI you are entitled to a free check-up, a free clean and some treatments (or part payment). You need to have your PPS number when you call the dentist and they can check if you have an entitlement- worth knowing before making an appointment.

In Tramore Sarah Cusack, Brid Cantwell and Socha White are all highly thought of- and they all know their way around a nervous patients mouth.

You're not entitled to a free clean for the last few years as far as i'm aware. It's around €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Maurice O'Brien does all our family and find him very good

https://waterforddentist.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/treatment_benefit_scheme.html
    Dental Benefit
    Under this scheme, the Department pays the full cost of an oral examination once a calendar year.

Since 28 October 2017, a payment of €42 towards either a scale and polish or - if clinically necessary - periodontal treatment, is also available once a calendar year. If the cost of either cleaning or periodontal treatment is more than €42, you must pay the balance - capped at €15 for a scale and polish. There is no cap on the balance charged for periodontal treatment.

Treatment is provided by private dentists who are on the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection's panel. Lists of dentists on the panel are available on welfare.ie. Most dentists are on the panel, so you should not have any difficulty finding one. The dentist will be able to check your eligibility and make a claim for you. The claim form will require details such as your Personal Public Service Number (PPS number), date of birth and signature. If you are a dependent spouse or civil partner, you should give the PPS number of the insured person, who will also be required to sign the claim form.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭extrapolate

I go to Smiles. They are absolutely great and have pretty good pricing. I would recommend Bairbre in there [if she's still there] since she's who I usually would go to see and is stellar at her job. AFAIK the consultation is free and then you work up a plan of the work that needs doing. You can do it all at your own pace for what you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Hi. Anyone know if any dentist would do a payment plan? I'm with Williamstown dental a good few years back and I just rang and was told they don't do it, thought they did. I'd say I need a bit of work done including getting 4 wisdom teeth out . No prsi entitlements , I have vhi not sure does that cover

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Very few I can recommend. If I had to choose it would be smiles but they are way overpriced.

Advertisement