Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best 19 foot boat

• 03-09-2018 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

Hi, I wondering what's the best 19 foot boat. I'm thinking of going for a 4 stroak 10 horse power engine. I don't want a boat that will rise high on the front, I like a very sturdy boat and a fast enough one too. I'm thinking of Lynch or McAlinden. Would they be the best? I can't find a website with prices for either. They aren't well advertised. Niall lynch and Larry McAlinden..
    Looking forward to your experiences and reviews on both or another brand of boat as good as the two mentioned

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Lynch boat is 18ft

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭nokiatom

Orkney Fastliner 19. great weather boat but you would need at least a 40 hp.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

nokiatom wrote: »
    Orkney Fastliner 19. great weather boat but you would need at least a 40 hp.

I think the OP is referring to a lake boat for drifting. Orkney is a great boat but not what you want for that job...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭4200fps

Thanks for the replys. I be on small to medium sized lakes. Up to 3 people will be on board. Some of the rivers I also will be on can be shallow in places and some people can pass through on boats if level is right. The boat will be also used for decoying ducks so one that can sit in one position would be a bonus

I'm hearing burke is a serious good boat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

All lake boats essentially do the same job, some slightly better than others.
    My personal favourite are the lynch and the mca kingfisher.

That said, I won't ever have a lake boat again, my next fishing boat will be an aluminium v hull of some type with a 30-50hp engine.
    I want to be able to move quickly if I need to, and have a stable platform for lure fishing and drifting while dead baiting for pike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

All lake boats essentially do the same job, some slightly better than others.
    My personal favourite are the lynch and the mca kingfisher.

That said, I won't ever have a lake boat again, my next fishing boat will be an aluminium v hull of some type with a 30-50hp engine.
    I want to be able to move quickly if I need to, and have a stable platform for lure fishing and drifting while dead baiting for pike.

Lynch are great boats alright, I've been in one on a rough day on Ree, was happy to see Hudson bay that evening!

I'm in a similar situation, my aluminium boat for me next. The lake boats are ideal for fly fishing of, but all of my fly fishing is done from the bank. The seats can get in the way when pike fishing off a lake boat, one of my mates has a Lund Fury, cracking boat, but very expensive!

Lynch are great boats alright, I've been in one on a rough day on Ree, was happy to see Hudson bay that evening!

I'm in a similar situation, my aluminium boat for me next. The lake boats are ideal for fly fishing of, but all of my fly fishing is done from the bank. The seats can get in the way when pike fishing off a lake boat, one of my mates has a Lund Fury, cracking boat, but very expensive!

Yep, the only job when pike fishing, lake boats can be pokey depending on the seat layout.
    And they are not fast.

I made enquiries about the lynch boats. The original lynch boat only comes in 18 foot and the clones are 18 foot 6.
    I agree with you about the seats being a bit of a nuisance. I'm going to go to mayo in few weeks to view the burke boats. Sopposed to be clones of them around too i believe. A man told me burke have their name on a plate on the rear of the boat on the genuine burkes. Is there any other things I should look out for? What about the king Fisher 19 foot mcalinden boats any reviews you can share lads? I'm very thankful for your knowledge

About the burke I got as follows
    Information on burke boat. Starting price on 19 foot is €3000 usually has 3 timber seats. Has one air tank on the front and 2 on the rear for stability.

Next step up often comes with 2 seats. It comes with 5 tanks. The two extra tanks are on the side. It has storage compartment too. It's €4000

The 3rd one same again as 2nd spec but one seat in middle and two swivel seats. It's €5000.

Burke sells second hand boats and usually gets them in after September when trout season is over. Guys to trade in to upgrade. Timber is teak built to last. Boats are fibreglass.
    Saying that I have a friend who said the underneath in his opinion wasn't larch as it rotted and guy who replaced guessed it was pine. You'd hear different things from some people but no harm knowing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

4200fps wrote: »
    I made enquiries about the lynch boats. The original lynch boat only comes in 18 foot and the clones are 18 foot 6.
    I agree with you about the seats being a bit of a nuisance. I'm going to go to mayo in few weeks to view the burke boats. Sopposed to be clones of them around too i believe. A man told me burke have their name on a plate on the rear of the boat on the genuine burkes. Is there any other things I should look out for? What about the king Fisher 19 foot mcalinden boats any reviews you can share lads? I'm very thankful for your knowledge

The Kingfisher is a great boat under power, the best I’ve driven. Not a good drifter though, serious crab to the stern when drifting.

Burke boats are great for drifting etc.
    They are not fast, you said you wanted a fast boat, just putting that out there.

Well I don't want a high drag boat on water. One that's reasonably swift and a good drifter. I might settle for the burke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

The “Mc Alinden” Safest boat on the lake!! Look up Chris Mc Alinden.. I’ve one of there boats very safe on a bad day..

The “Mc Alinden” Safest boat on the lake!! Look up Chris Mc Alinden.. I’ve one of there boats very safe on a bad day..

You know what after looking at them there and they look the business. Good flat floor and lots of room. They look better than the burke. The balance tanks on the side are as good as seats too. Are all the king fishers the same spec. What model have you and size?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

The kingfisher is not a good drifter, I don’t know about the other MacALinden boats.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    The kingfisher is not a good drifter, I don’t know about the other MacALinden boats.

I had a McAlinden fisher supreme that was a fantastic drifter, very like a sheelin hull.

http://www.mcaboats.co.uk/TheFisherSupreme.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28 norma2000

Any thoughts on the O Sullivan mayfly?

Advertisement