Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this Dublin team the greatest in Gaelic football history

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

again you are as sharp as a razor with that comment full marks. :)

Not particularly sharp really. Just stating the obvious. Why try to bring irrelevant nonsensical comparisons into it? A Cody comparison is cliche central. We know Gavin has won several All Irelands. We don’t need a slow learners version.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

When Dublin assumes it's position as a province, it will have 4 very competitive district county teams entering the All-Ireland championship. It will serve the sport better, giving more players in such a populous area the opportunity to rightly play at inter-county level.

An inter-provincial championship of the 5 provinces then will naturally be the highest level of competition in the sport.

Impossible. It does nothing to raise standards. Would rugby standards be higher if new zealand competed as north and south islands? Would soccer standards be higher if Brazil had been split?
    If splitting Dublin increases standard and competition then splitting Cork and Galway and Kerry too must have same effect too. Give Sligo and Clare more of a chance.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Kilkenny have won 4 of their last 11 championship games. They should be split into individual parishes immediately with that level of dominance. It’s just not fair. They might soon get up to winning 50% of their matches and then where will we be. In further thrall to Cody.......that’s where.

[disingenuous] noise [/disingenuous]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I'm not suggesting it would have ceased to exist. I'm suggesting that the gifted players of years gone by wouldn't have had the level of commitment required. The players of days gone by have admitted numerous times they wouldn't of had the commitment required to be on today's s panels

Depends on what is the norm of the time. Many of the players of the past worked physically demanding jobs and just wouldn’t have been able for the training nowadays where extensive recovery time is needed, didn’t Paul Flynn ditch the plumbing and go back to college because of it? Players are much better looked after and more aware of their bodies now.

It’s not that players of the past weren’t committed, it’s just a different culture and approach now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Judging by the next day interviews Dublin have a lot of medal hungry young players ready to get stuck in for next years campaign.... That's worrying news for the rest of the country!

You need two things to beat Dublin. Two panels of elite highly skilled athletes and millions euro.

Limerick are an example of what the right mix of skill and cash can bring! If you listen to the captains thank you speech it's essentially a professional background team.

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=LeinsterDub;107985677

I'm suggesting that the gifted players of years gone by wouldn't have had the level of commitment required. [/QUOTE]

Why not? This is an extraordinary claim. It’d be nice to see it backed up with something more than ‘lots of fells said....’. What was so lacking in previous generations that is so present in today’s and why?

When Dublin assumes it's position as a province, it will have 4 very competitive district county teams entering the All-Ireland championship. It will serve the sport better, giving more players in such a populous area the opportunity to rightly play at inter-county level.

An inter-provincial championship of the 5 provinces then will naturally be the highest level of competition in the sport.

Cork, Galway, Kerry and Kilkenny too?

Dublin managed to win the last 5 out of 6 finals by a point but of course bitter person on the internet reckons they can be spilt into 4 and still be competitive.

Why not? This is an extraordinary claim. It’d be nice to see it backed up with something more than ‘lots of fells said....’. What was so lacking in previous generations that is so present in today’s and why?

They've admitted it themselves for the third time. What's the legendary quote about Kerry footballer and the league?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Its not a lack of X... its about willingness and ability to focus on GAA to the extent of career sacrifice or choice of careers, and social life.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

mickeyk wrote: »
    Depends on what is the norm of the time. Many of the players of the past worked physically demanding jobs and just wouldn’t have been able for the training nowadays where extensive recovery time is needed, didn’t Paul Flynn ditch the plumbing and go back to college because of it? Players are much better looked after and more aware of their bodies now.

It’s not that players of the past weren’t committed, it’s just a different culture and approach now.

As I said before in this exact thread Charlie Redmond went for a smoke before the 95 All Ireland. Is there a intercounty footballer at senior level that smokes today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Yes this team are most certainly the greatest team of all time. Anyone who says otherwise is talking out their own backside.

The only records they'll have to break is the ones they have already set themselves.

How am I contradicting myself? I think if they do the five in a row cluxton will retire which will be huge, he is the constant in this team and the leader. MDMA, McMahon and a handful of others will probably go as well, not specifically because they’ve done 5 in a row, but because their time will probably be up. The 2011-13 team will effectively be gone.

I expect some of the other teams will have risen up by 2020 and we could see a more balanced championship at that stage. I know Dubs don’t want to hear this but they really aren’t playing a whole lot at the minute. You’d struggle to pick another team worthy of an All Ireland which is unusual.

Again, you contradict yourself. Players will go because their time is up. That means they will be gradually replaced as has happened with Brogan, Flynn etc. only three of the 2011 starting team are still around. The idea that Dublin will fall off a cliff is wishful thinking. I assumed myself this would end some t8m3 quite soon but after the semi final v Galway when I saw the range of scorers I realized that the end was not in sight.

I totally agree Dublin aren’t playing a whole lot. It’s not possible to win four consecutive titles if competition is brimming. But it’s not immediately obvious which teams are rapidly improving to bring us this balanced championship you are talking about. Last June Kerry were supposed to be the next big thing but tha5 was a bottle of smoke. So who will take over from Dublin?

As I said before in this exact thread Charlie Redmond went for a smoke before the 95 All Ireland. Is there a intercounty footballer at senior level that smokes today?

So Charlie Redmond had a fag in 1995 so no player prior to 2011 had commitment. Jesus man will you read back what you are writing.

STB. wrote: »
    Yes this team are most certainly the greatest team of all time. Anyone who says otherwise is talking out their own backside.

Spoken like a man who has seen them all down the years.

Again, you contradict yourself. Players will go because their time is up. That means they will be gradually replaced as has happened with Brogan, Flynn etc. only three of the 2011 starting team are still around. The idea that Dublin will fall off a cliff is wishful thinking. I assumed myself this would end some t8m3 quite soon but after the semi final v Galway when I saw the range of scorers I realized that the end was not in sight.

I totally agree Dublin aren’t playing a whole lot. It’s not possible to win four consecutive titles if competition is brimming. But it’s not immediately obvious which teams are rapidly improving to bring us this balanced championship you are talking about. Last June Kerry were supposed to be the next big thing but tha5 was a bottle of smoke. So who will take over from Dublin?

Will you go and look up the meaning of the word contradiction and don’t bring it up again please.

And I never said they will fall off a cliff, I said we should see a more balanced championship by 2020, hardly the same thing. I think they’ll stroll it next year because the competition is weak but they are very beatable If somebody improves. My hope is that one of Kerry, Galway, Tyrone or Mayo come again by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,119 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are deluded. It won't happen.

They've admitted it themselves for the third time. What's the legendary quote about Kerry footballer and the league?

It’s such a legendary quote that I never heard it but I’m sure it’s a good one and rigorously sourced as ever too.

So Charlie Redmond had a fag in 1995 so no player prior to 2011 had commitment. Jesus man will you read back what you are writing.

If you want to read that into what I said. Your beyond help

If you want to read that into what I said. Your beyond help

You are basically saying that players in the past wouldn’t have been able for today’s game. It’s utter pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The current Dublin team would run all of those off the park in the first 5 minutes. It's silly to say you can't compare. Of course you can the current Dublin team are fitter and better organised than any of those teams. Now then it comes to skill that's a matter of opinion.

Would Lombardi's Packers of 1967 beaten Aaron Rodgers' Packer of 45 years later?

NFL has barely changed in that time but the modern team is far bigger and better conditioned. Not to mention more user friendly equipment and pitches.

If Lombardi had the same conditions as the modern team then it would be fair comparison but he didn't so it is rather pointless exercise to compare teams of different eras in any sport. Same applies to individual sport. Runners 60 years ago wore track shoes that were more like the canvas shoes people wear on beaches than the modern ones!

• Advertisement

It’s such a legendary quote that I never heard it but I’m sure it’s a good one and rigorously sourced as ever too.

'Life isn't all beer and football...some of us haven't touched a football in months' –

Kerry player during league campaign 1980s

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Its not a lack of X... its about willingness and ability to focus on GAA to the extent of career sacrifice or choice of careers, and social life.

But this is bonkers. The Dublin players drive around in sponsored cars. For the love of Jaysus if players from 50 years ago had that kind of luxury it’d be far easier to be “willing” to make “sacrifices”. You would think the players 50 years ago were living a life of decadence compared to the modern day spartans.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,119 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is very strange to see posters arguing in one thread that Dublin are not the greatest team of all time, yet they are arguing in another thread that Dublin's dominance is ruining the game.

I really don't understand it, while you can argue that Dublin are the GOAT but are not ruining the game with their dominance, you can hardly say that they are ruining the game with their dominance if they are not the GOAT, as the game would have been ruined sometime in the past by whoever is the GOAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,732 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is very strange to see posters arguing in one thread that Dublin are not the greatest team of all time, yet they are arguing in another thread that Dublin's dominance is ruining the game.

I really don't understand it, while you can argue that Dublin are the GOAT but are not ruining the game with their dominance, you can hardly say that they are ruining the game with their dominance if they are not the GOAT, as the game would have been ruined sometime in the past by whoever is the GOAT.

If you think hard about that you might see the reticence about getting into the GOAT conversation about this team on threads that prohibit you from talking about the reasons for that reticence.
    Dublin's edge comes from the very things being spoken about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Spoken like a man who has seen them all down the years.

In my lifetime. Yes.

Most people who answer this question will at least have an acceptable threshold on which to measure. I know I have.

You know there's probably an amateur debating society that you can join that you could discuss the merits of subjectivity extensively.

Just don't confuse me with someone who gives a toss about your witty retort.

'Life isn't all beer and football...some of us haven't touched a football in months' –

Kerry player during league campaign 1980s

You swallow this sort of stuff whole I suppose? I wouldn’t read too much into it. There are Kerry players from that era who played for years and have hip replacements and knee replacements as a result and frankly deserve far more than glib ould ****e like this suggesting that they had no commitment. If that’s the extent of your argument you’re at nothing.

You are basically saying that players in the past wouldn’t have been able for today’s game. It’s utter pony.

No I'm saying certain greats of the past wouldn't of had the commitment

You swallow this sort of stuff whole I suppose? I wouldn’t read too much into it. There are Kerry players from that era who played for years and have hip replacements and knee replacements as a result and frankly deserve far more than glib ould ****e like this suggesting that they had no commitment. If that’s the extent of your argument you’re at nothing.

I didn't say they as a whole had no commitment, in fact I didn't even suggest individually they had no commitment. What I said was in years gone by certain players could get by on being extremely talented. Nowadays talent alone isn't enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Impossible. It does nothing to raise standards. Would rugby standards be higher if new zealand competed as north and south islands? Would soccer standards be higher if Brazil had been split?
    If splitting Dublin increases standard and competition then splitting Cork and Galway and Kerry too must have same effect too. Give Sligo and Clare more of a chance.

Dublin competing in an inter-provincial championship against the other 4 provinces brings the sport to a higher level.

Connaught v Dublin
    Leinster v Munster

Ulster v Connaught
    Dublin v Leinster

Munster v Ulster
    Leinster v Connaught

Munster v Dublin
    Ulster v Leinster

Connaught v Munster
    Dublin v Ulster

Top 2 from round robin series into the final.

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »

In my lifetime.

If you genuinely didn’t give a toss you wouldn’t have replied. Anyway the timeframe above is more sensible and the tone far less arrogant and more tolerable than your original “anyone who doesn’t agree with me has their up there arse”.

Advertisement