Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Allowance - Moving to Education/Work Scheme

Options
  • 22-08-2018 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'm just wondering if anyone could answer the following for me? Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

1. I'm currently on Disability Allowance but i'm considering moving in with my partner who works full-time and makes 24,000e a year after tax. Will I lose my disability allowance and my travel pass and medical card?

2. I have an MA in sociology. Would I be entitled to a BTEA allowance or any other allowance if I returned to education for either a PLC course or to to a PhD? Would this change if I lived with my partner?

3. If I received Back to Work Allowance, would this be dependant on if I lived with my partner or not?

Any help in this would be sincerely appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Have you or your partner any children living with you? DA is means tested against gross wages less PRSI only.
    Back to Work Allowance doesn’t exist any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 faber11

No children...

The scheme where you can start your own business...back to work enterprise allowance?

faber11 wrote: »
    The scheme where you can start your own business...back to work enterprise allowance?

Yes that’s BTWEA. You’ll get it if your switching from DA to BTWEA so you need to apply now before you move in with him to get €198. Moving in with him and him working will not affect your BTWEA.
    If you are on DA and you move in with him your DA will be €70 approx per week

Thank you splinter65, very grateful for your help. Can I get back to education if I move in with my partner?

• Advertisement

faber11 wrote: »
    Thank you splinter65, very grateful for your help. Can I get back to education if I move in with my partner?

You will not get BTEA if you already have a postgraduate qualification. There’s nothing stopping you doing a course of education while you are on DA so there’s no need for you to apply for BTEA. However as I already said your rate of DA will reduce to €70 approx if you move in with your boyfriend.

Advertisement