Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

YouTube golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

OMP some golfer and legend

• Registered Users Posts: 49 herself_there

dan_ep82 wrote: »

Last year I found and picked up a set of clubs for a mate of mine wanting to get into golf. A standard set with a bag etc that had seen better days but perfect for him.
    When I went to pick them up and got talking to the guy he was an older gentleman who explained he was forced to give it up due to eyesight and poor health. You could see he was upset about it but also delighted that they would go to a "new" golfer. It was a good deal and I still didn't want to take it, left me quiet for the rest of the day thinking about it.

Thanks for sharing that lovely video and your story about buying the clubs from an older gentlemen. Puts things into perspective really

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Break80 wrote: »
    That's the most heartwarming and sad clip I have ever seen on youtube.
    I don't know if it's the lockdown finally getting to me but I am leaking after watching this.

When he is cycling off at the end you would need a heart of stone not to have a little leak.
    There's another old fella on Golfmates called Old Man Pat worth checking out.

Isn't it just?

Reminds me of a gentleman who used to play in Moate when I started out playing golf years ago. Was an elderly man who lived close to the course, he had his own golf buggy and drove it to the course and join in with whatever group was on the tee. Every tee shot straight down the middle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Finch and crossfield seem like absolute knobs to me. Sheils, me and my golf, NLU seem like decent skins.
    Best content for me would be NLU.
    For lessons it is Amy Cho, she is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

For some reason this just makes me miss golf even more.

Better short game and putting alone would knock more than 10 shots off for this guy aswell, I'd imagine his fall will be quite rapid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

I was looking at it and thinking if he could sort himself out on the tee and stop hitting shots wildly left and right he would save himself a heap of shots. And if he could sort out his chipping I think it would be the next biggest win for him. But that's largely saying if he could sort out his swing and short game he'd be far better. I don't think he'd think that advice is worth paying for.

The one thing he could do which would make a massive difference is keeping the concentration on his swing. I'm the exact same. On the drives in particular he loses his balance / rhythm and hits it anywhere. On the chips / putts he takes his head up to look at the shot before he has hit it. That improvement doesn't actually require any real change, but would have a massive effect on his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Finch and crossfield seem like absolute knobs to me. Sheils, me and my golf, NLU seem like decent skins.
    Best content for me would be NLU.
    For lessons it is Amy Cho, she is great.

There just seems to be a banter in that class / group in England that is a bit corny . You don't get that here (Seems more rough here :D), can't put my finger on it. They just seems like one dimensional people - golf - golf course - golf club. Operating in a golf world vacuum. I get it, it is a golf channel what else would you expect. But - come on , give us something.

Finch looks a seriously good golfer in fairness. But want to see the way he talks to even tour pros - you'd swear he has about 4 majors.

Shiels - seems a decent skin - but again - not an amazing personality. Typical golfer - a bit boring to be honest :D

Crossfield (fair play to him what he has achieved ) - but genuinely the way he talks to people and puts them down as his "minnows" - it is not a surprise they all seem to have left him. With him the "banter" is fine - once others are the subject.

But at least with the NLU lads - you get to meet locals, opinions on the area, the industry, even dare we say, someone might have a strong opinion or political opinion.

This guy offers a new angle - and more a travel show - at times style over substance - but you can see he knows what he is doing production wise.

At the end of the day - covid has a lot to answer for - with the **** we are watching , even listening to. You'd have more interesting mates - if you could meet them in the pub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Jeez Peter Finch got some home setup, I'd take that over golf membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jeez Peter Finch got some home setup, I'd take that over golf membership.

Unreal isn't it. Not jealous at all:(

I'm thinking of getting a simulator but won't be anything like that.

He was like a giddy child and on this occasion I can't blame him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Peter Finch’s match on YouTube vs Simon Thornton in Tulfarris

Thornton starts Birdie, Birdie, Birdie, Birdie 🫠

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Been watching a lot of the Random Golf Club videos over the past while. Presented by Erik Anders Lang.

Great production value in all the videos. All edited to a high standard.

They do a "Breaking" series where they take 3 amateurs of varying handicaps and see how well they can score off the back tees around U.S Open courses.

They have plenty of different types of videos, all well worth a watch. Particularly the adventures in Golf series.

Dare I say at times that it's over-produced? It has a good USP though in comparison to the other YouTube golf channels, so I'll give them that. I just never mind myself going back watching them

Weird that he was married to Sia, the singer, before

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

I see a lot of the you tubers have paid subscriptions now. Me & my golf, Clay Ballard, Shawn Clement Etc some not cheap either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It's a huge free advertising opportunity for Tulfarris so you'd wonder would Thornton not ease off a bit and try take it to the 18th. The last 3 holes are nicest looking/most interesting on the course imo. They could've even started on the 10th. Finch playing so poorly doesn't help either way

Agreed - only thing is, wasn’t it a money match?

How does that work? Kinda like Patreon where you’re just deciding to support them? Or do you need to pay subscribe to be able to unlock some of their content?

If that’s the case, the likes of Good Good will definitely go in that direction

Me & my golf and Clay Ballard are selling access to lessons videos, they've been doing it for years. Their youtube content is mostly small parts of the lessons to help sell it. Good Good and Rick Shiels would never do it I reckon, they make enough already from views, merch and sponsorships. Also they probably know that their viewers are mostly casual and would happily just not watch rather than pay

Never say never. When views stagnate etc and they have a massive viewer base, don't put it past them. They aren't the decision makers over the channels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

That's what I thought too. At start he mentioned 15-18 as best holes on course but nobody got to see them!!

Or play some other game for final few holes but at least show off the whole course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

I have signed up to Clay Ballard the last 2 years. Its €46 a year its alright, price of a lesson. I actually forgot to cancel it this year and it automatically renewals 🙄🙈😂 but it is only €46. Me & my golf I signed it to the 30 day free trial much preferred their content but theirs is way more expensive something like €46 a month! but they have courses like how to break 100, 90, 80 etc but the novelty wears off after a while. Like I first signed up to Adam Youngs strike plan that was a one off payment of €30 or something watched a bit and have never gone back to it 😂 but you have access for life so can always go back and check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I get what you mean about it being "over produced" but I like that. It's a bit of a palate cleanser when you've been watching heaps of the bog-standard golf YouTube videos churned out by everyone else. Watching some of his videos feels more like settling down to watch a high quality Netflix show or something. I wouldn't binge his videos but they're a nice break from the norm.

Weird, I never knew that about him being married to Sia. I'll keep that in the back pocket for a future table quiz 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Thornton gave him a fair roasting in fairness!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Always enjoyable to see a Pro play a course you're familiar with imo... It almost offset the fact that he was playing Peter Finch.

30 minutes of Finch blabbering on about how he wasn't playing well / well enough. When you get a Pro on video, why not try to make it about them / give the audience more of an insight to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

But why should Peter Finch promote anyone that isn't himself? There a reason why he has over half a million subscribers.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Plus one here for Tourist Sauce of the No Laying Up crew. Really makes me long for a trip home to get a bus around the West of Ireland for some golf and Guinness with the lads. It's enjoyable for sure, but I can't really speak of their other content.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He seems to be very successful in doing it his way so fair play to him, it just wouldn't be my cup of tea and probably a reason why I'm not among the half a million subscribers.

A lot of other successful YouTubers have Pros / guests on and the focus of that vlog is generally the guest. That's generally what I prefer. Personal preference really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭boccy23

The NLU guys seem to have "sold out" completely to LIV. Saw that Mr. Short Game got negative comments during the season and pulled back from LIV, but the NLU guys are fully invested.

Maybe I missing some sort of joke here but from what I've seen on their twitter and heard on their podcasts they are very much anti LIV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭boccy23

Apologies to the NLU guys. I must have mixed them up with another channel. I remember someone having content of mixing with local Thai ladies in the stands in Bangkok recently and showcasing the course. Must go and look to see who that was.

Advertisement