Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA out of touch yet again, this time the Limerick home coming

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

JCX BXC wrote: »
    So more than 50% of the population of Limerick?!?
    120,000 being reported. Biggest ever I'm guessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

The first homecoming in semple stadium was in 2009 before that it was liberty Square.

If I'm not mistaken there was a homecoming in Semple Stadium for one of Babs all ireland wins (89 or 91) I can't remember if there was a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

They are holding it it the Gaelic Ground and numbers are limited. What the f**f
    The number of people to attend any event in any venue will always be limited to the capacity the venue is signed off for health and safety wise and insured for. Allowing any additional people in is reckless in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

JCX BXC wrote: »
    So more than 50% of the population of Limerick?!?
    120,000 being reported. Biggest ever I'm guessing.

Good few from Clare were in too...met people from Parteen, Meelick, Shannon. They knew from past Munster European cup wins that the celebrations would be great fun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

There was a VHS tape released of the Derry home coming, this cringy country music playing over footage of the bus driving through the county.

I remember my father saying that the unionists in Cookstown, co.Tyrone came out to greet the fans with their union jacks.

Here is a photo of it
    https://imgur.com/a/EgV9kWH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

It’s 45 years since they won it and of course not every limerick person could get a ticket to Croke Park, but to limit the home coming crowd is one of the most stupid decisions I have ever heard.

They are holding it it the Gaelic Ground and numbers are limited. What the f**f? Thousands of kids are going to totally dissappoontef when their parents tell them they be able to go and cheer on their hero’s.

I just hope to god they change their plans and at leat do a open top bus out to the grounds for all those they have chosen to exclude.

Can you not accept that this is a good news GAA story and not use it for an anti-GAA rant.

GAA has a lot of issues and problems to deal with / answer for but not the Limerick homecoming.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Can't remember any county getting so much coverage of the homecoming as RTE is giving Limerick this evening.Must have something to do with August and very little other news to report on.
    The Dublin victory in 2011 was wall to wall coverage on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Can't remember any county getting so much coverage of the homecoming as RTE is giving Limerick this evening.Must have something to do with August and very little other news to report on.

The majority of the country is happy for limerick to win after 45 years and i am interested how it all goes in limerick and how they celebrate. Its a happy story that ya don't get much on the 6.1 anyway... Fair play limerick folk...Have one for me! You will be sick of pope francis come next monday!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No it wasn't. Six One News that evening. Nine o'clock news that night. Players hotel and Crumlin Hospital visit the next morning. Then more bits on that evenings Six and Nine o'clock news broadcasts. Radio call in shows had a fair bit of chatter about it. The same thing again happened the following year when Donegal won. And when Dublin won again in 2013 and then when Kerry won in 2014. RTE follow the same template for an All Ireland win. I know this, as I have the hoopla all recorded and I rewatch it every now and then. The only major difference was the Dubs went on that weeks Late Late, as they just had to be dragged out of Coppers to get to Monrose. Teams from other counties had already dispersed around the country after they won. Maybe if you check your own Sky box for your recordings of Meath's last celebrations, you'll see a similarity.

(Sorry. Cheap shot? :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Hammer,
    I am not sure if you remember this but, as I recall it, Meath's win in 1999 got virtually no coverage on RTE.

I remember listening to Morning Ireland all morning on the Tuesday after the game and zero coverage. Slightly off topic but that never happened since, even after Kilkenny's multiple all irelands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,598 ✭✭✭shmeee

Jaysus some lads love to spread nonsense about the GAA. The first homecoming in semple stadium was in 2009 before that it was liberty Square. That certain TD was county chairman in the early to mid eighties a time when there was no homecomings but hey don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. And by the way the gates are wide open for homecomings in semple stadium, no tickets, no turnstiles just head in.

One of the most stupid things I've ever read on here, wow! Not by you, by cml387.

Correct, gates wide open, bring in what you want, food, drink etc. No restrictions. Never any hassle, plenty of room for everyone, kids pucking on the fields, great evenings had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    The majority of the country is happy for limerick to win after 45 years and i am interested how it all goes in limerick and how they celebrate. Its a happy story that ya don't get much on the 6.1 anyway... Fair play limerick folk...Have one for me! You will be sick of pope francis come next monday!:P

I'm not knocking Limerick or their celebrations in any way,I'm delighted that they won,best team throughout the final.RTE had Keelan Shanley,Marty Morrissey and Damian Tiernan all reporting,can't remember that level of coverage at any other homecoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'm not knocking Limerick or their celebrations in any way,I'm delighted that they won,best team throughout the final.RTE had Keelan Shanley,Marty Morrissey and Damian Tiernan all reporting,can't remember that level of coverage at any other homecoming.

RTE have a studio in Limerick, don't they? It's probably a lot easier for them to do pieces for the news than if they were in Ballybofey or Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

Also a bigger county is going to attract more people, 200 thousand living in the county so the following Limerick gets will make for a bigger stage, similar if Cork won i imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

To be fair to Limerick they organised the homecoming alot better than most counties.

They had DJ and live bands there early in the evening.

Galway's was poorly organised last year in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

dave 27 wrote: »
    Also a bigger county is going to attract more people, 200 thousand living in the county so the following Limerick gets will make for a bigger stage, similar if Cork won i imagine

Limerick have the lowest home attendances of any team in the top two divisions of the league. You would wonder where the crowds materialised from on Sunday and Monday!

I know all counties have band wagoners, but not by a factor of 20!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Limerick have the lowest home attendances of any team in the top two divisions of the league. You would wonder where the crowds materialised from on Sunday and Monday!

I know all counties have band wagoners, but not by a factor of 20!
    Really wish people would stop immediately bringing out the word bandwagon any time any one wins anything etc.
    The way the season is structured in GAA crowds will always be small and get consistently bigger as year goes on.
    nobody checks what kind of fan you are going in the gate to a game. everyone's a fan whether its your first game of the year or ever or youve attended everyone since birth it makes no difference

Advertisement