Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education Allowance and working?

Options
  • 14-08-2018 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So I have been back and forth between the Citizens information center and my local Intreo center and I can't seem to get a straight answer from them. I am hoping someone here can help me. Basically I have been offered a job for the first two weeks of college on a help stand. I will only be working 20 hours a week at 10 EUR and hour.

I have been on back to education since 2015 and I am allowed to work 20 hours but the social welfare says this will be means tested once I bring in my payslip. Even though I have provided them with the exact hours I am working and the rate of pay they refuse to calculate my means test. So I have no way of knowing if this job is worth my while taking as I have no idea how much money I will lose. Also the hours will not be put through till October because it has to go through the Junior Deans office.

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 seamus duggan

So I have been back and forth between the Citizens information center and my local Intreo center and I can't seem to get a straight answer from them. I am hoping someone here can help me. Basically I have been offered a job for the first two weeks of college on a help stand. I will only be working 20 hours a week at 10 EUR and hour.

I have been on back to education since 2015 and I am allowed to work 20 hours but the social welfare says this will be means tested once I bring in my payslip. Even though I have provided them with the exact hours I am working and the rate of pay they refuse to calculate my means test. So I have no way of knowing if this job is worth my while taking as I have no idea how much money I will lose. Also the hours will not be put through till October because it has to go through the Junior Deans office.

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
    How did it work out for u? I'm in the same boat now, I work 2days a week and in my 3rd year now and they have stopped my payment and started a means test! I ring 2 and 3 times a week to find out what's going on! Its over a month now and still nothing! Seems like your better off not working at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

How did it work out for u? I'm in the same boat now, I work 2days a week and in my 3rd year now and they have stopped my payment and started a means test! I ring 2 and 3 times a week to find out what's going on! Its over a month now and still nothing! Seems like your better off not working at all!

https://www.inou.ie/workingforwork21/

You should find the Calculation on how your means will be assessed on page 194 of the PDF versions of this book (scroll down the webpage and you'll find it).

Advertisement