Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Allowance vs Invalidity Pension

Options
  • 31-07-2018 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All

Two years ago I suffered a major back injury, i have been working full-time sine 1990. I am single and not in a relationship. I initially claimed illness benefit but applied for the Disability Allowance and it was granted in June of 2017, and paid back until June 2016. I was granted a full medical card, free travel pass, but as I share a house with another tenant I didn't apply for the house hold benefits package but I was awarded HAP for my portion of the rent. My condition has not improved and has got worse were I suffer almost constant daily pain and back burning back spasms. I have degenerative disc disease and cannot sit down without suffering burning back pain, although I can stand all day which elevates the pain.

I went into the Citizens Advice last week and asked them about training options, etc., as I am slowly going insane stuck in the house all day every day.

The guy in the advice center told me that I should apply for the Invalidity Pension and I have the required PRSI contributions. So i did, the doctor sent back the required info to the dept, but I haven't sent back my questionnaire yet, as I am currently thinking about it. I d'ont really want to have the dept, crawling through my personal details once more, although I have nothing to hide. I did meet with an inspector when they were assessing my DA application, and I found the going through my bank statement with a fine tooth comb very humiliating and degrading.

I just wanted to know is there an advantage of being on Invalidity or is it better to stay on Disability? I know the Invalidity gives an extra €5.50 per week, and to be honest i need every penny as I am really struggling to make ends meet, I have paired down my lifestyle and live a very dull life, I just have to accept my lot at the moment.

I was thinking if I could get some job part-time which would allow me to stand, but would not require heavy lifting or bending at the waist, that maybe I could do ten to twenty hours per week. But then the question arises what is Rehabilitative Work?

Since the good weather came in, my symptoms have got a little better, and the only advantage I could see of getting the I.P. is being able to move abroad to a warmer climate and still receive the IP.

Does anyone have any advice, comments, or suggestions.

Thanks

Advertisement