Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraud with cleaning gutter

Options
  • 27-07-2018 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Today 3 guys came to our house and offered to clean gutter.
    They said that they are cleaning our neighbour's gutter and we have a lot of stuff in our gutter. They also said that our neighbours are complaining about blocked gutter on our side. The cost is 30 euro.

We agreed (we were thinking about neighbours as well).

They have done something very quickly, left some fresh (!) grass and young green branches on the ground in front of the house, took the money and disappeared very quickly.

1) we asked our neighbours after:
    1.2) our neighbours did not agree to clean their gutter (so they did not clean)
    1.3) our neighbours did not complain
    2) we don't have trees in front of the house and 1 behind that much lower than the house
    2.1) no fresh grass and young green branches could be in the gutter.
    2.2) No moss in front of the house.

Be careful! Be aware of such fraud!

Have you ever been a victim of fraud like that? 3 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    33% 1 vote
    No, similar case but I refused
    33% 1 vote
    No, not like that, another fraud
    33% 1 vote
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Thats the culture, Boss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

You aren't the first and won't be the last to be caught out by that type of caper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Today 3 guys came to our house and offered to clean gutter.
    They said that they are cleaning our neighbour's gutter and we have a lot of stuff in our gutter. They also said that our neighbours are complaining about blocked gutter on our side. The cost is 30 euro.

We agreed (we were thinking about neighbours as well).

They have done something very quickly, left some fresh (!) grass and young green branches on the ground in front of the house, took the money and disappeared very quickly.

1) we asked our neighbours after:
    1.2) our neighbours did not agree to clean their gutter (so they did not clean)
    1.3) our neighbours did not complain
    2) we don't have trees in front of the house and 1 behind that much lower than the house - 2.1) no fresh grass and young green branches could be in the gutter.
    2.2) No moss in front of the house.

Be careful! Be aware of such fraud!

Endemic I'm afraid..total fraud. Then they suss the situation and bully more money outa you, esp. the elderly. A few were around Ennis yesterday , Irish people can spot them a mile off. Always ask a few friends /neigbours for ideas before you hire handymen/trades and keep local.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Happened me last week. I said no straightaway as I know nothing good will come from it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Moderation: Whilst it's a great cautionary tale, it's not legal discussion. Moreover, this isn't the place for dogwhistle replies.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement