Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And the Oscar goes too....2018 All Stars & Footballer of the Year.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I wonder will the Super 8s structure mean a wider spread of counties getting football All-Stars.
    In the past, if you didn't at least make a semi-final, you've probably not played enough games. But now a team knocked out on the Super 8s has still played a lot.

With the quaterfinals now being three games and not one, they will only have played two extra games. It's a decent increase over previous years, but it's not a massive amount. You do make a good point though. However, it works both ways . If any bolters have more games to come from the pack and make a case for an All Star, the leading candidates from the teams that make the AI final, also have more games to copper fasten their own worthiness of an All Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

May as well give this a bump then so....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Can't see beyond the Sunday Game TOTY so:

Cluxton

Cooper
    Hampsey
    SB Gallagher

O'Connell
    McCarthy
    McCaffrey

Fenton
    Cavanagh

Walsh
    KK
    Howard

Mannion
    McManus
    Clifford

Beggan the unluckiest to miss out. Drew Wylie may well get in ahead of Gallagher though. I would have Michael Murphy at centre-forward, with Kilkenny pushed inside instead of one of the corner-forwards, but I suppose Mannion nailed it on with his semi-final and final displays, and Clifford has the media-drive behind him.

FOTY: Ciaran Kilkenny
    YFOTY: David Clifford

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Kilkenny player of the year.

Howard young player of the year. (close with Clifford though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Slattsy wrote: »
    Kilkenny player of the year.

Howard young player of the year. (close with Clifford though)

The problem with the Player of the Year is you could in theory have McCaffrey, Kilkenny and possibly Colm Cavanagh nominated. The 2 Dubs split the vote so Cavanagh gets it. Happened last year with Andy Moran and the year before with Lee Keegan.
    Not fixating on Mayo it's just the way it was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

Clifford was brilliant but it would be a travesty if Howard doesn't win yound footballer. He wouldn't be far off the senior award imo.

Also, all 3 nominees for POTY should be from Dublin. Fenton should get it. Amazed he wasn't nominated for MOTM in the final. His work rate was phenomenal, kicked two brilliant scores, won primary possession numerous times and was the crucial out ball in the dying minutes. Complete performance.

I won't be amazed when Colm Cavangh wins it though. It'll be in keeping with the recent history of the award.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

corny wrote: »
    Clifford was brilliant but it would be a travesty if Howard doesn't win yound footballer. He wouldn't be far off the senior award imo.

Also, all 3 nominees for POTY should be from Dublin. Fenton should get it. Amazed he wasn't nominated for MOTM in the final. His work rate was phenomenal, kicked two brilliant scores, won primary possession numerous times and was the crucial out ball in the dying minutes. Complete performance.

I won't be amazed when Colm Cavangh wins it though. It'll be in keeping with the recent history of the award.

Yeah prety much sums it up for me also - I don't know whether Fenton's level of performance goes somewhat unnoticed as there's a certain expectancy of his contribution on any particular day, but he was brilliant on Sunday and I'd give an honourable mention to cooper too

I feel that Burke not Walshe should represent Galway in the forward line, Cavanaghs position is a charity case better served by Murphy or one of the Monaghan lads probably Kearns who I thought was excellent in his 1st year of inter county

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭robbiezero

If Colm Cavanagh wins footballer of the year, they may abandon the award in the future. I don't think he would even be in my top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Can't see beyond the Sunday Game TOTY so:

Cluxton Beggan

Cooper Hampsey
    Hampsey Wylie
    SB Gallagher

O'Connell Howard
    McCarthy
    McCaffrey

Fenton
    Cavanagh Murphy

Walsh
    KK Ciaran Kilkenny
    Howard Mannion

McAliskey
    McManus
    Clifford

Beggan the unluckiest to miss out. Drew Wylie may well get in ahead of Gallagher though. I would have Michael Murphy at centre-forward, with Kilkenny pushed inside instead of one of the corner-forwards, but I suppose Mannion nailed it on with his semi-final and final displays, and Clifford has the media-drive behind him.

FOTY: Ciaran Kilkenny
    YFOTY: David Clifford
    Howard

I cant have Cooper as an All Star....or Cavanagh

Advertisement