Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable Coffee House Location Suggestion

Options
  • 17-07-2018 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am planning to buy a new portable catering unit [tea/coffee/ice cream/burgers etc] and need recommendations/suggestions on couple of points.

1. Is there any legal obligation to follow while setting up the portable catering unit at any place (need any kind of planning permission)? Or I can set it up anywhere as I want? 

2. What are the important points at Cork City or County that have the potential to setup the portable catering unit? I am looking for any busy, professional or residential area where there will be a handsome amount of sale. 

3. What product would be best to prioritize? Either tea/coffee? Or ice cream and burgers? Or all?

Need recommendations/suggestions from anyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Great idea there, you seem to have thought of everything.
    Big demands for a van that switches from burgers, to coffee, to ice-cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

You'll probably need a casual trading licence. Cork city details here http://www.corkcity.ie/atoz/c/name,5077,en.html

Presume Food Safety Authority will need to know your in business. Don't know how that works.

Do look into private property rather than public to set up on such as a business Park.

Public liability insurance will cost a bit as well.

Make sure your coffee is good so get a good supplier not any old general muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

1. Is there any legal obligation to follow while setting up the portable catering unit at any place (need any kind of planning permission)? Or I can set it up anywhere as I want? 

No idea. Other forums either on boards (Business and Finance?) or askaboutmoney might know better. It'd be the same sort of thing as an ice cream van right? They seem to go where they like.
    2. What are the important points at Cork City or County that have the potential to setup the portable catering unit? I am looking for any busy, professional or residential area where there will be a handsome amount of sale. 

Well, this is probably dependent on above and below. If you've ever been to a welfare office on sign-on day, I always thought that'd be a great place to sell coffee. Or on a sunny day you see a lot of people walking by Blackrock Castle.
    3. What product would be best to prioritize? Either tea/coffee? Or ice cream and burgers? Or all?

Weather dependent? Time of day dependent? Tea/coffee and buns with some sandwiches/rolls in a fridge and a freezer full of ice cream? I've no idea of the costs or running any of these in a mobile environment or the market for them.

Lot's more research needed, sorry.....

Advertisement