Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat Ibiza leaking unknown fluid..

Options
  • 16-07-2018 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

I`m just back after 3 weeks of holidays and there`s some sort of fluid that has leaked all over the driveway from my wife`s Ibiza.

First I thought it was oil but the reservoir has oil in it, I checked the dipstick and it`s level is fine.

No warning lights came on when I drove it a little bit, power steering seemed fine, breaks worked.

I`d like to know what it is and is it an easy/cheap fix...not something nice to come home to...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭Cordell

Check the coolant, brake and steering fluid (some cars don't have it) levels, any of these leaking means trouble. If not any of these then maybe it's windscreen washer fluid or fuel. Is it greasy? It's easily washed off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

It will take a big oil leak before you will see it on the dipstick/warning light.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Check what type of fluid is on the ground, is it oil or water put a bit on your fingers to check, then you can try to find the leak. No point looking for an oil leak if its your windscreen water leaking

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What am I looking at in those pics? I can't make out too much. What does it smell like? Coolant and washer fluid will have a sweet smell, oil should be obvious too. Any colour to it that you can make out?

Coolant tastes sweet as well, if you dare to taste it. Also, it's highly toxic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cordell wrote: »
    Coolant tastes sweet as well, if you dare to taste it. Also, it's highly toxic...

Chocolate is also highly toxic. The dosage from chocolate or dipping your finger into a bit of residue on the ground would negligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Cordell wrote: »
    Check the coolant, brake and steering fluid (some cars don't have it) levels, any of these leaking means trouble. If not any of these then maybe it's windscreen washer fluid or fuel. Is it greasy? It's easily washed off?

Coolant level seems normal, the steering was normal, I don`t know how to check the break/steering fluid.
    It`s a bit greasy I`d say. There was some sand thrown on it and left for a few days, I cleaned it up today and the stain is still there.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=455928&stc=1&d=1531765982
    hi5 wrote: »
    It will take a big oil leak before you will see it on the dipstick/warning light.

Looks big to me, it`s got a strong smell to it.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Check what type of fluid is on the ground, is it oil or water put a bit on your fingers to check, then you can try to find the leak. No point looking for an oil leak if its your windscreen water leaking

It`s oily I`d say, in the picture is the general area where it`s leaking, I`m not sure specifically where it`s at.
    What am I looking at in those pics? I can't make out too much. What does it smell like? Coolant and washer fluid will have a sweet smell, oil should be obvious too. Any colour to it that you can make out?

Your looking at the area where the leak is. It`s got a strongish smell to it. Take a look at the picture, see if it helps any...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Gearbox oil leaking from driveshaft seal from the looks of it

rex-x wrote: »

Would it have been from sitting in the heat and not been driven for so long?

lewis wrote: »
    Would it have been from sitting in the heat and not been driven for so long?

No they just tend to fail from time to time. Generally they will slow down leaking once the level gets below the diff level but it needs to be taken care of fairly urgently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Smell it, youl know soon enough if its gearbox oil. Its rotten.

No they just tend to fail from time to time. Generally they will slow down leaking once the level gets below the diff level but it needs to be taken care of fairly urgently

Can it sit there for a few days without it been driven, just right now is`nt a good time to get it fixed, something like next week?

Can it sit there for a few days without it been driven, just right now is`nt a good time to get it fixed, something like next week?

Yes it will be totally fine to sit there. I'd expect to pay about 100-120 for one seal and gearbox refill incl labour. 200 or so for both (there are 2)

Del2005 wrote: »
    Chocolate is also highly toxic. The dosage from chocolate or dipping your finger into a bit of residue on the ground would negligible.
    Indeed, a smudge on your tongue to see if it's coolant or not it's no big deal, I did it before with no fear. But having a puddle of this stuff on the ground for your (or someone's else) pet to lick it it's no good.
    But by the looks of it it's no coolant, and if it has a strong smell I would say that's gearbox oil, as said before me.

So I brought it to a mechanic and he said there's an internal crack in the gearbox, so it needs a new gearbox and clutch.

Before we left for holidays, there was a tiny stain in the ground, nothing compared to what it was when we got back.
    Could the heat have caused it, the likes of expanding etc...?

The repair work costs are almost the value of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I'd be looking for a second opinion there.....

How did he diagnose the fault?

I didn't think to ask him, I just assumed it was down to the age of the car, wear and tear...

How would this have been caused, do you think..?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It wouldn't have been caused by our very minor heatwave. The gearbox would get hotter in normal use. I'd seek a second opinion also and mention this to whatever mechanic you ask to take a look:

It wouldn't have been caused by our very minor heatwave. The gearbox would get hotter in normal use. I'd seek a second opinion also and mention this to whatever mechanic you ask to take a look:

It was due to wear and tear, the car is 14 years old and we've had it since new.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

It was due to wear and tear, the car is 14 years old and we've had it since new.

A gearbox doesn't crack from wear and tear.

If the crack was bad enough to identify visually there would be much more oil visible. He'd of had to remove it and inspect it very well to find a fine crack that just let out a very minor weep.

• Advertisement
Advertisement