Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Half marathon plan

• 14-07-2018 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

Morning,

Just wondering has anyone got any advice on a half marathon plan . I’m doing rotoath and the Dublin half . I’m currently running on average 25 miles a week with a LSR Bewteen 8-10 miles. I’m not a half marathon virgin but would like to try and aim for around 150-152. My current pb is 155.

Thanks
    Bluesquare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Morning,

Just wondering has anyone got any advice on a half marathon plan . I’m doing rotoath and the Dublin half . I’m currently running on average 25 miles a week with a LSR Bewteen 8-10 miles. I’m not a half marathon virgin but would like to try and aim for around 150-152. My current pb is 155.

Thanks
    Bluesquare

You could try the Graduates plan: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057812163

Or buy Faster Road Running. It has a half plan that’s 30-47 miles a week, afair. Good but tough plan. I’ve followed it twice.

You’re probably too late for Hansons’ 18weeker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Cheers - the graduate plan looks good . Might have to tweak it slightly to account for holidays and races.

I’m hoping to get something from the club coach but haven’t seen anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Just to hijack.

What is the most important half marathon session? Based on say intervals, tempo, long run, HM pace miles as part of a run etc. Obviously, they all serve a purpose and consistency is key but I'm a few weeks out from the same HM's mentioned above and if there was 1 run to nail and never miss, that people really felt took them to the next level of training... what is it?

Also, what's a good run to assess what pace to race at? I wanna break 1.30, so 6.50min miles - is there a session to know if I'm at that stage?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Just to hijack.

What is the most important half marathon session? Based on say intervals, tempo, long run, HM pace miles as part of a run etc. Obviously, they all serve a purpose and consistency is key but I'm a few weeks out from the same HM's mentioned above and if there was 1 run to nail and never miss, that people really felt took them to the next level of training... what is it?

Also, what's a good run to assess what pace to race at? I wanna break 1.30, so 6.50min miles - is there a session to know if I'm at that stage?

Thanks

I would avoid getting into this mindset personally. Sessions in isolation have absolutely no bearing on performance to be honest. What is a good session in one plan will be terrible in another as it's not just the session that matters but how your body reacts to that session and how it molds with the overall approach.

Likewise don't use sessions to gauge performance, that is what the races are for main focus should be on maximizing fitness and confidence.

I would avoid getting into this mindset personally. Sessions in isolation have absolutely no bearing on performance to be honest. What is a good session in one plan will be terrible in another as it's not just the session that matters but how your body reacts to that session and how it molds with the overall approach.

Likewise don't use sessions to gauge performance, that is what the races are for main focus should be on maximizing fitness and confidence.

So would the best gauge of pace be say a 10k a few weeks before?

The Frank Duffy 10mile is the week before Rathoath HM. But it might be too much to race the 10mile at HM pace the week before the target HM race?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

So would the best gauge of pace be say a 10k a few weeks before?

The Frank Duffy 10mile is the week before Rathoath HM. But it might be too much to race the 10mile at HM pace the week before the target HM race?

Thanks

A race is no harm but to be honest as much of a cop out as it might be trust your training and be honest with yourself. You should know as your training progresses in the build up whether a pace is genuinely sustainable.

A race is no harm but to be honest as much of a cop out as it might be trust your training and be honest with yourself. You should know as your training progresses in the build up whether a pace is genuinely sustainable.

Cool thanks. Guess I'll just have to knuckle down to the hard work between now and then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Coming to this late. I'd fully endorse the Grads plan. As much as anything else it is a very enjoyable plan with plenty of variety in it. I'd also have to agree that you can just feel the time that's in you as training develops. The last thing I'd say is don't miss runs unless it's because of the birth of your child... everything else can be worked around if the will is there. Making plans for missing runs in advance just looks like someone hoping to find a silver bullet. :pac: What's your PB to date?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Coming to this late. I'd fully endorse the Grads plan. As much as anything else it is a very enjoyable plan with plenty of variety in it. I'd also have to agree that you can just feel the time that's in you as training develops. The last thing I'd say is don't miss runs unless it's because of the birth of your child... everything else can be worked around if the will is there. Making plans for missing runs in advance just looks like someone hoping to find a silver bullet. :pac: What's your PB to date?

Birth of child is Oct so this is my last block of training with no excuse!
    Current PBs are 2 x 39.xx 10ks. Aim was to get sub 40 so happy with them. Both in last few weeks.

Did the Irish Runner 10mile last weekend unprepared, ran easy for 1st half, pushed on in 2nd for a negative split, very hot and hilly and did 71mins.

So at this point I have race series 10k this Sunday, Rock n Roll 10k in Aug and the Ratoath and Race series HM's in Sept. I guess just hoping to maximise what I can between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Birth of child is Oct so this is my last block of training with no excuse!
    Current PBs are 2 x 39.xx 10ks. Aim was to get sub 40 so happy with them. Both in last few weeks.

Did the Irish Runner 10mile last weekend unprepared, ran easy for 1st half, pushed on in 2nd for a negative split, very hot and hilly and did 71mins.

So at this point I have race series 10k this Sunday, Rock n Roll 10k in Aug and the Ratoath and Race series HM's in Sept. I guess just hoping to maximise what I can between now and then.

You're well set so. No need to worry about magic sessions, just train well. I did 40:07 recently and I will stick pins in my eyes if I don't break 1:30 in Ratoath. Have you done a 10 mile or half before?

• Advertisement

Yep, have a few marathons etc under my belt. Nothing much in the last 6mths though until this summer.

HM PB from 2yrs ago in River Moy is an annoying 1.30.02

Advertisement